Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Athletic: What it took to land Patrick Mahomes
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/2330642...JP_NFLINKS&site=x&campaign_id=36578818&source=twitterpcads&twclid=2-ra6108wve489002zwm4g45bb

Very interesting read. GM convinced the HC he was the one.....and he was right

Somewhere in a parallel universe, the Vikings never see Mike Hughes, Lamar Jackson is their QB, the Chiefs have Paxton Lynch instead of Mahomes, Chris Jones and Tyreek Hill, their most recent Super Bowl victory is still 1970, and Cousins has a ring with San Francisco.

I'll paste from a previous post:

Sometimes its just better to be lucky than good. For example....

• In 2016, Chiefs tried to trade up to take Paxton Lynch. They were also in talks to trade up to take Laquon Treadwell. Neither worked out, so they gave up, traded down and took 5X All Pro Chris Jones. Then with two 5th rounders, they rolled the dice on a QB (Kevin Hogan) and a WR (Tyreek Hill). Still needing a QB the next year, they took Patrick Mahomes.

• The 49ers had the 2nd overall pick that same year. They traded down one spot to take megabust Solomon Thomas. They did not study Mahomes that year because, one, that was WAY too high to take him. And two, their plan was to sign Kirk Cousins during 2018 free agency and reunite him with Kyle Shanahan. Those plans were scuttled when the Patriots traded Jimmy Garoppolo to the 49ers in October 2017.  But the one QB the 49ers did trade up to get in the 2017 draft was C.J. Beathard, whom they selected in the 3rd round. Beathard eventually left San Francisco to sign with Jacksonville and, in return, the 49ers got a compensatory 2022 7th-round pick...that they used on…Brock Purdy.

• With Cousins going to San Francisco in 2018, the Vikings turn their attention to QB in the 2018 draft where they take Lamar Jackson instead of Mike Hughes.
[-] The following 3 users Like MaroonBells's post:

In truth= I wanted the Vikings to trade up for PMahomes after he slid past the 8 slot.
I felt dumbfounded after they didn’t do it.
I realized later, I might be hoarding the thought for myself and that’s why it didn’t happen.
It’s like buying a bunch of rookie cards of a player before his play makes the price skyrocket.
P.S.
I wanted JJ McCarthy in this draft.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Godhead's post:

(06-30-2024, 08:36 PM)Godhead Wrote: In truth= I wanted the Vikings to trade up for PMahomes after he slid past the 8 slot.
I felt dumbfounded after they didn’t do it.
I realized later, I might be hoarding the thought for myself and that’s why it didn’t happen.
It’s like buying a bunch of rookie cards of a player before his play makes the price skyrocket.
P.S.
I wanted JJ McCarthy in this draft.

I don't remember much about that Mahomes draft, not sure why. I knew that he was crazy talented, but so were a lot of guys that fizzled or busted. 

Let's hope your feeling about JJM is spot on!

(07-01-2024, 04:33 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I don't remember much about that Mahomes draft, not sure why. I knew that he was crazy talented, but so were a lot of guys that fizzled or busted. 

JJM wanted to be a Viking is a +
Is 21 yrs. old is a+
Great arm strength is a + (defense has to cover more of the field)
Great athlete with a mask is a + (defense can’t leave the middle of the field)
Having Darnold is a +
Just want JJM to know the offense inside and out before he gets in there sometime in 2025
[-] The following 1 user Likes Godhead's post:

(07-01-2024, 04:33 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I don't remember much about that Mahomes draft, not sure why. I knew that he was crazy talented, but so were a lot of guys that fizzled or busted. 

I remember there being a lot of doubt surrounding Mahomes ability to play in a pro offense. Several early mocks didn't even have him in the 1st round. He wasn't even on Daniel Jeremiah's first Top 50 rankings released in January. By March and April you started to see him going in the 1st round, but even then it was mostly mid-to-late 1st.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post: