Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panthers trying to fix Young already
(06-27-2024, 07:36 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: @ the bold....

Very reminiscent of the Vikings passing on Rogers (twice) as they had Pepp on the roster, coming off some good years too...

Yah, that was the good Pepp b4 injuries.

I almost mentioned that because the situation was similar. It drives me crazy whenever I hear people say we should've taken Rodgers in 2005. Really? Your 27 year old QB was coming off 3 Pro Bowls, a passing title and was MVP runner up in 2004...and rather than try to improve the roster around him, you burn your 1st round pick on a controversial QB who was dropping like a rock? 

I don't understand people who use the benefit of hindsight to bitch about something and ignore the reality of the situation at the time.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post:

(06-27-2024, 11:24 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: That's a good question. In 2021 they picked 8th, but the only QBs left were Mac Jones and Justin Fields, so I guess they can be forgiven for that one. 2020 was the big miss. They picked 7th and could've traded down and taken Jordan Love or Jalen Hurts, or moved up for Burrow, Tua or Herbert, but but they went with a DT. They may have tried trading and were turned down, who knows.

In 2017 they drafted two picks ahead of Patrick Mahomes and took Christian McCaffrey. But that was just a season after Cam was voted MVP. After Cam Newton went belly up a couple years later due mostly to injuries, they seemed to favor the vet route by bringing in Teddy, Darnold and Mayfield. 

I think it's just a crap organization. A year after Baker Mayfield went 1-5 with them, he had a breakout year with the Bucs.

I think at that point in their careers, Teddy, Darnold, Mayfield weren’t really guys you’d hitch your wagon to.  They were placeholder guys in case your plan to get one in the draft failed to manifest.  We brought in Darnold, and then we drafted a QB.  That’s a much better plan than bringing in a Darnold caliber starter and then not drafting a viable QB prospect for 3 years in a row.

(06-28-2024, 08:32 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I almost mentioned that because the situation was similar. It drives me crazy whenever I hear people say we should've taken Rodgers in 2005. Really? Your 27 year old QB was coming off 3 Pro Bowls, a passing title and was MVP runner up in 2004...and rather than try to improve the roster around him, you burn your 1st round pick on a controversial QB who was dropping like a rock? 

I don't understand people who use the benefit of hindsight to bitch about something and ignore the reality of the situation at the time.

I wanted them to take Rodgers. He was a generational talent. Daunte was a nice guy with a big arm and no real capacity to lead a team to a title.

As for improving the team, Troy Williamson and Erasmus James didn't accomplish that. They were both trash.

I had the worst gut feeling watching that draft that Rodgers would fall into the hands of the Packers. Just taking him and trading him to someone else would have been better than letting the Pack get him. But I don't ever expect any kind of strategic brilliance out of the Vikings. It's more like 60 years of keystone cops in the front office, except when Jim Finks was running things.
[-] The following 1 user Likes comet52's post:

(06-28-2024, 11:52 AM)comet52 Wrote: I wanted them to take Rodgers.  He was a generational talent.  Daunte was a nice guy with a big arm and no real capacity to lead a team to a title.

As for improving the team, Troy Williamson and Erasmus James didn't accomplish that.  They were both trash. 

I had the worst gut feeling watching that draft that Rodgers would fall into the hands of the Packers.  Just taking him and trading him to someone else would have been better than letting the Pack get him.  But I don't ever expect any kind of strategic brilliance out of the Vikings.  It's more like 60 years of keystone cops in the front office, except when Jim Finks was running things.

Green Bay had Favre. No one expected them to draft Rodgers.

(06-28-2024, 03:29 PM)wiviking Wrote: Green Bay had Favre. No one expected them to draft Rodgers.

I did.

(06-28-2024, 11:52 AM)comet52 Wrote: I wanted them to take Rodgers.  He was a generational talent.  Daunte was a nice guy with a big arm and no real capacity to lead a team to a title.

As for improving the team, Troy Williamson and Erasmus James didn't accomplish that.  They were both trash. 

I had the worst gut feeling watching that draft that Rodgers would fall into the hands of the Packers.  Just taking him and trading him to someone else would have been better than letting the Pack get him.  But I don't ever expect any kind of strategic brilliance out of the Vikings.  It's more like 60 years of keystone cops in the front office, except when Jim Finks was running things.

That's truly amazing. My compliments on your insight. I think you're probably the only one on the planet who thought it wise to draft another QB to compete with our 27-year-old, passing title winner, 3 time Pro Bowl, MVP-runner-up QB by burning a 1st rounder on another QB...despite the fact that we desperately needed a WR, having traded Randy Moss a month before. 

Will it rain tomorrow?
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post:

Culpepper lost favor after he thanked Chris Gamble for hitting his knee and rehabbing in a Walmart parking lot

(06-29-2024, 11:51 AM)Vikergirl Wrote: Culpepper lost favor after he thanked Chris Gamble for hitting his knee and rehabbing in a Walmart parking lot

Yeah, Pep got a little weird rehabbing that knee injury.

(06-28-2024, 11:52 AM)comet52 Wrote: Leading up to that draft, I never heard anyone talk about Rodgers as a generational talent. Smith was the pretty clear #1 QB that year, and all the rest were viewed as just a guy. The big deal about Rodgers was on draft day was the cameras on him as he waited.

I wanted them to take Rodgers.  He was a generational talent.  Daunte was a nice guy with a big arm and no real capacity to lead a team to a title.

(06-29-2024, 11:51 AM)Vikergirl Wrote: Culpepper lost favor after he thanked Chris Gamble for hitting his knee and rehabbing in a Walmart parking lot

Culpepper rehabbing in a parking lot is up there with Randy Moss only plays when he wants to in terms of something misquoted enough times on the interwebs becomes truth. He wasn't in a Walmart parking lot running sprints, lifting and stretching daily. 

He wanted to stay in Florida so he opted for a facility in Orlando that was part of a legitimate large healthcare provider in Florida. The building was next to a Walmart.  One time he was in the parking lot doing mobility drills for the trainer MN sent to check his progress.
[-] The following 3 users Like bigbone62's post: