Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB bidding war called off?
Lightbulb 
The Zach Wilson trade is another sign that the much-hyped bidding war for QB's 3-4 isn't going to happen.  Reasons:

1. Of the 3 combatants, one was unarmed.  Denver came in a spot behind the Vikings and without a 2nd round pick while right behind them the Raiders have 2 2nds and the Vikings starting ahead of Denver have 11 and 23. Both the Vikings and Vegas knew they could beat any Broncos offer, and the Broncos know it too.

2. "Eh, we're good".  In the FA period, the Raiders added Minshew while the Vikings got Darnold.  While neither is a long-term starter, both teams IMO would rather ride with them this year and build the roster rather than blow 3 1s on QB 3-4.  See Kwesi's mention of a "walkaway price".

3. Division decision.  If QB4 gets to #5 Chargers, the Vikings will likely have a clear field, as I believe the NYG want either a top WR or a trade down and the Chargers aren't going to deal a potential franchise QB to a division rival.  The Vikings can then tell LA, "Take 11 and 23, or you can spend the next decade playing QBX 2 times a year as a Raider courtesy of NYG".

Now those 2 2nds for the Raiders are a problem for the Vikings because I can easily see Vegas tossing the Bears a 2nd for #9 or a 3rd for #10 to the Jets, but that a whole different issue than a multiple-1sts arms race into the top 4.

Rumor is the Raiders love Daniels and he's got relationships on that staff too...I dont think they are happy with their current QB room at all.

More rumors the last few days re: Penix going to LV if he makes it that far. I think the Gmen are still major players @ 6 for a QB. 

I am curious to see what we can do with 4 or 5 for JJ. I dont see NE moving off 3.

If we dont land "top 4" I can see us taking PEnix @ 11.

Sad 
(04-22-2024, 08:25 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: Rumor is the Raiders love Daniels and he's got relationships on that staff too...I dont think they are happy with their current QB room at all.

More rumors the last few days re: Penix going to LV if he makes it that far. I think the Gmen are still major players @ 6 for a QB. 

I am curious to see what we can do with 4 or 5 for JJ. I dont see NE moving off 3.

If we dont land "top 4" I can see us taking PEnix @ 11.
I’ll repeat. I hope he pans out because I am worried about the name jokes

Fletcher Cox was able to withstand it. I'm sure he'll be fine.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wiviking's post:

(04-23-2024, 10:57 AM)wiviking Wrote: Fletcher Cox was able to withstand it. I'm sure he'll be fine.

lol, yep. Dick Trickle also survived in NASCAR so we'll be okay with Michael.....
[-] The following 2 users Like StickierBuns's post:

(04-22-2024, 06:28 PM)RS_Express Wrote: The Zach Wilson trade is another sign that the much-hyped bidding war for QB's 3-4 isn't going to happen.  Reasons:

1. Of the 3 combatants, one was unarmed.  Denver came in a spot behind the Vikings and without a 2nd round pick while right behind them the Raiders have 2 2nds and the Vikings starting ahead of Denver have 11 and 23. Both the Vikings and Vegas knew they could beat any Broncos offer, and the Broncos know it too.

2. "Eh, we're good".  In the FA period, the Raiders added Minshew while the Vikings got Darnold.  While neither is a long-term starter, both teams IMO would rather ride with them this year and build the roster rather than blow 3 1s on QB 3-4.  See Kwesi's mention of a "walkaway price".

3. Division decision.  If QB4 gets to #5 Chargers, the Vikings will likely have a clear field, as I believe the NYG want either a top WR or a trade down and the Chargers aren't going to deal a potential franchise QB to a division rival.  The Vikings can then tell LA, "Take 11 and 23, or you can spend the next decade playing QBX 2 times a year as a Raider courtesy of NYG".

Now those 2 2nds for the Raiders are a problem for the Vikings because I can easily see Vegas tossing the Bears a 2nd for #9 or a 3rd for #10 to the Jets, but that a whole different issue than a multiple-1sts arms race into the top 4.
Denver gave up nothing to get a guy to put in the room, they are still very capable of getting involved in bidding war

NY Giants can easily get involved from #6 it a team does not want to trade out of the top 3 WRs in the draft

If the NE Pats trade out of #3 they may be looking to go QB 4 later in the draft at position 6, if they were willing to trade with Giants who say they want Maye
People sleep peacably at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.