Trey Lance
I think Wilson, you can theoretically go “Hey, he wasn’t in
an optimal situation, we’re smarter than them, maybe it might work out for us
where it failed for them”,  Lance,
however, was in the perfect situation with one of the best coaching staffs and
best systems.  I don’t really see how he
fits into any plans other than “Maybe he’ll just figure it out as he ages and
gets more experience.”

meh....not enough body of work in my opinion.  
If Shanahan gives up on you, then the Cowboys, you have to ask yourself.....why?

If things boil down to a choice between Lance and Wilson, I'd prefer Lance...if he stays cheap. Wilson has looked "done" for a few years, now. I keep referencing McNabb, because I saw the exact same thing in his face after he lost the Super Bowl: the hunger was way down, and he wasn't as bought in as he had been. Wilson acts like football is his hobby, maybe the way some guys train for those Iron Man events...but it's not his life, anymore. He has his celeb wife, the kids, and a huge pile of money plus a likely broadcasting career just ahead...how hard does he really want to work?

I fully realize that Trey Lance was dealt a bad hand as a rookie with the 49'ers.  I think he would make a good "homestate kid comes home" storyline.  I'm not a JJ McCarthy fan. But I don't see at this point how Lance would be better than Penix or Nix (most likely available when we pick in 2nd round).  

I don't see Cowboys trading him, Dak is consistently a contract issue and has been inconsistent so think they need the security of having someone to mold into a potential starter.  The thing with Wilson is he has had some games where he has looked very good and has proven he has the tools to be a legit starter, he has not been able to do it consistently and seems like he gets in his own way, I think those are all things KOC could potentially work with and someone like KOC would be the best thing for him.  All that being said, my preference is if we can somehow move up for Maye or stay put and take Nix.  

You are better off turning Nix, Penix, or Maye loose year one over most of these guys. Jaren Hall is probably a better option than a few of them. Wilson could maybe thrive with KOC so that may be a worthwhile consideration.

I see Mayfield getting paid as a starter this year. 

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
I fully realize that Trey Lance was dealt a bad hand as a rookie with the 49'ers.  I think he would make a good "homestate kid comes home" storyline.  I'm not a JJ McCarthy fan. But I don't see at this point how Lance would be better than Penix or Nix (most likely available when we pick in 2nd round).  
IMO Lance is in now way close to what you may have in the other 3,  he played small town HS ball, small time college ball ( and only 1 year  of that )  and did almost nothing to date as a pro QB that would suggest that he is close to prepared to being a starting NFL QB.   The other 3 you have a national champ,  the national champ runner up,  and a guy that has played throw for throw with the runner up,  all 3 have shown much much more than Lance likely ever will. 

I also have my doubts that you get a shot at any of those  3 with the 11th pick in round 2.  Since we are really lacking in quality draft picks this year... I dont see us having much ammo to trade back into the first to get a shot at whoever falls through,  but I have a feeling we see at least 5 QBs taken in the first round this year.  since 3 or 4 of those teams drafting ahead of us will likely be taking a QB in the first,  they will be likely willing to trade down in the 2nd,  of course the bears are one of those teams so that likely eliminates that spot as chance for us to move up.  I still think get the QB we want in the first,  dont get cute about it if he is there at 11,  take him and dont look back.