Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Season Post-Mortem
Here are my misc. thoughts about the season:
  • KOC: Strengths: Did a great job of keeping the team afloat when Cousins went down.  Game planned around the individual strengths of the different back-ups.  Also, kept the team competitive when JJ went down.  Those are great accomplishments.  Improved the Oline.  Hired a good defensive coordinator.  Weaknesses:  Team didn't look prepared at the start of the season -- did he use preseason properly?  Some play calling/designs were very questionable (tush push x2).  Team seemed poorly motivated near the end of the season.
  • Flores: Strengths:  Scheme covered a lot of weaknesses in the available talent.  Uncovered hidden talent on the roster.  Even though highs and lows, made watching the defense more fun.  Played the full roster and gave young players meaningful minutes.  Weaknesses:  By the end of season, his scheme sprung holes -- his scheme didn't evolve to address what opposing teams learned about the scheme.
  • KwesiObservations/Thoughts: Was the failure of the first draft a product of Kwesi not having his team of scouts firmly in place?  Did Donatell give too much input.  With the draft, I think of Kwesi as a card counter while the rest of the league is playing poker.  I really fear his use of analytics causes him to miss the human element such as why the other team may desperately want to trade, etc.  This years draft was much better but was that the influence of Flores knowing what defensive players would fit the scheme better?  Also, certainly should have traded Hunter and others when Cousins, JJ went down (many disagree with me believing you need to give it your all until mathematically eliminated).
  • WilfsObservations/Thoughts: Until this year, I have never questions the Wilfs as good owners -- perhaps that has mre to do with the context (Red McCombs) than actual results.  But I do question the competitive rebuild.  See my comment above about trading Hunter etc.  If your goal is to make the playoffs every other year and keep the stadium full, they have achieved their goal.  SBs requires a bold approach.
To me, next year is crucial to determine what is the goal of this franchise.  I believe KOC has earned a longer leash but I don't believe the same with Kwesi.  I also want to see how the Wilfs approach the next couple of years with the other three teams in the division ascending.

Honestly, really great observations!

Wholeheartedly agree with the positives and negatives you brought up. I feel good in the mindset that the negatives with our front office and coaching can really be attributed to a young staff growing into their roles and finding their footing.

I also feel like if you asked Kwesi about his first draft, he would fully admit it was bad. I think he tried to “moneyball” the first draft and be the “craftiest” guy in one room. This year he CLEARLY learned from year one and produced a better draft. I feel like this year will be even better than last. 

Being two years in, you just want to see improvement from one year to the next. Which, despite the record, you could argue was true on all fronts.  I think both offensive and defensive play calling mishaps towards the end of the year were in large part due to roster deficits on both sides of the ball due to injury. 

I think Flores knew his cupboard was meager at best….add injuries to the mix and you just have to do what you can.

I feel like the team really thought Mattison could produce full time as he did part time in previous years. It’s clear they were wrong about that and i feel like that DRASTICALLY affected play calling and scheme. The Akers trade was a Hail Mary, but that didn’t work out either. 

As far as motivation goes, it’s gotta be hard to stay up when you know Mullens is a turnover machine and isn’t taking you anywhere. 

It’s weird to say, but i feel like the team that was 7-9 was actually better than the team that won 13 games. The avalanche of injuries were just too much to overcome. 

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
Here are my misc. thoughts about the season:
  • KOC: Strengths: Did a great job of keeping the team afloat when Cousins went down.  Game planned around the individual strengths of the different back-ups.  Also, kept the team competitive when JJ went down.  Those are great accomplishments.  Improved the Oline.  Hired a good defensive coordinator.  Weaknesses:  Team didn't look prepared at the start of the season -- did he use preseason properly?  Some play calling/designs were very questionable (tush push x2).  Team seemed poorly motivated near the end of the season.
  • Flores: Strengths:  Scheme covered a lot of weaknesses in the available talent.  Uncovered hidden talent on the roster.  Even though highs and lows, made watching the defense more fun.  Played the full roster and gave young players meaningful minutes.  Weaknesses:  By the end of season, his scheme sprung holes -- his scheme didn't evolve to address what opposing teams learned about the scheme.
  • KwesiObservations/Thoughts: Was the failure of the first draft a product of Kwesi not having his team of scouts firmly in place?  Did Donatell give too much input.  With the draft, I think of Kwesi as a card counter while the rest of the league is playing poker.  I really fear his use of analytics causes him to miss the human element such as why the other team may desperately want to trade, etc.  This years draft was much better but was that the influence of Flores knowing what defensive players would fit the scheme better?  Also, certainly should have traded Hunter and others when Cousins, JJ went down (many disagree with me believing you need to give it your all until mathematically eliminated).
  • WilfsObservations/Thoughts: Until this year, I have never questions the Wilfs as good owners -- perhaps that has mre to do with the context (Red McCombs) than actual results.  But I do question the competitive rebuild.  See my comment above about trading Hunter etc.  If your goal is to make the playoffs every other year and keep the stadium full, they have achieved their goal.  SBs requires a bold approach.
To me, next year is crucial to determine what is the goal of this franchise.  I believe KOC has earned a longer leash but I don't believe the same with Kwesi.  I also want to see how the Wilfs approach the next couple of years with the other three teams in the division ascending.
Fair post. 

But it would've been difficult to trade Hunter after Cousins went down but before the trade deadline. There were literally hours between the two.

Also consider what had just happened: The Vikings defense was starting to figure itself out. They were coming off three straight wins, including a blowout win in Green Bay and a convincing win over the 49ers, where the Vikings offense put up nearly 500 yards against the NFL's best defense. Plus, they were heading into the soft underbelly of their schedule. 

I know in hindsight it looks realistic. I just don't think it was at the time. 

I agree, it was not realistic in real time. 

There was a lot to like about 2023, until there wasn't. 

What a roller coaster season. Not as fun as 2022, thats for sure. 

Well, Cousins was injured on the 29th and the trade deadline was the 31st (at 4 pm).  I am certain they had calls on Hunter.  They did trade Ezra and traded for Dobbs in that time period.  (As I recall, pundits didn't think the Vikings did well in the Cleveland trade.)

These Dlinemen were traded near the deadline: (a) Chase Young traded for a 3rd on the 31st; (b) Montez Sweat traded for a 2nd on the 31st; © Leonard Williams traded for a 2nd and 5th on the 30th.

So, the Vikings made 2 trades between the time of Cousins injury and the deadline and 3 good Dlineman were traded during the same period.  Now maybe the Vikings brass couldn't mental pivot to how to proceed in that time period but that really is a critique of the brass not the reality/ability to consummate a trade.  At least IMHO.