Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft: If it's not a QB..?
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@medaille said:
@Greylock said:
@dadevike said:
@supafreak84 said:
IMO (as of now), best case scenario for the Vikings in this draft is McCarthy dropping to our pick at #11 and sitting him behind Cousins for a year or two. Anything after that is gravy. 
If McCarthy is not there at 11, I would be shocked. Note: I have been shocked before. But 11 seems too high for JJ, whom I like. While there is a lot to like with JJ, he is something of a long shot. He has never been the focus of the offense at UM. But he did have to get them out of third and long on a regular basis and he did it without any stud receivers. To me he seems like a guy that you trade back 10-15 spots and if he is there you pull the trigger, and if he is gone, you move on to Plan B, C, D or whatever he represents for us. We're not in a good spot to draft the top QBs and too many teams ahead of us have a dire need at QB. But those are the hard facts.
Its time to stop trading back 10-15 spots.  Moving to plan B, C, or D gets you guys like Kellen Mond or Drew Samia.  Time to stop the insanity, grow some balls and move up to get the quarterback you want if you can find a trading partner otherwise we will always be looking for that perfect quarterback to somehow drop to the Viking pick in some far off draft.
What if your plan A QB isn't on the market?  We're probably unlikely to be able to trade for any of the top 2-3 QBs no matter how much we offer.  The Bears aren't handing us a franchise QB, and other QB needy teams aren't giving us the one they need.  At best we're hoping that the 3rd or 4th highest drafted QB turns out to be the best one and that other teams just made some massive mistakes.  There is no plan that can be executed by having bigger balls.
Agreed, and the term 'bigger balls' is subjective anyway. Carolina had some 'big balls' and look where its going to get them. Same with Chicago and Fields. Some fan's thoughts of just moving up, regardless of cost or value, and somehow that means the organization cares more or is somehow going to automatically cure the ills is silly. And you need two to tango. 

In the last draft Bryce Young and C.J. Stroud were 1 & 2 for most but, as modest
as I can say, some of us preferred Stroud and thought that he may fall
enough for us to trade up and get him. Right now I am going
to my 50th year as a fan and I am desperate, so I would take McCarthy,
Penix, Maye, or Nix. But as a long time fan of this team it would not
surprise me in the slightest if Bryce Young plays in a Superbowl before we do.

Quote: @Greylock said:
@dadevike said:
@supafreak84 said:
IMO (as of now), best case scenario for the Vikings in this draft is McCarthy dropping to our pick at #11 and sitting him behind Cousins for a year or two. Anything after that is gravy. 
If McCarthy is not there at 11, I would be shocked. Note: I have been shocked before. But 11 seems too high for JJ, whom I like. While there is a lot to like with JJ, he is something of a long shot. He has never been the focus of the offense at UM. But he did have to get them out of third and long on a regular basis and he did it without any stud receivers. To me he seems like a guy that you trade back 10-15 spots and if he is there you pull the trigger, and if he is gone, you move on to Plan B, C, D or whatever he represents for us. We're not in a good spot to draft the top QBs and too many teams ahead of us have a dire need at QB. But those are the hard facts.
Its time to stop trading back 10-15 spots.  Moving to plan B, C, or D gets you guys like Kellen Mond or Drew Samia.  Time to stop the insanity, grow some balls and move up to get the quarterback you want if you can find a trading partner otherwise we will always be looking for that perfect quarterback to somehow drop to the Viking pick in some far off draft.
Did we trade back when we took Ponder, Williamson, Erasmus James, Treadwell, Bradbury, ...? You don't need to trade back to make stupid picks. The Vikings did not pass on any of them. Here are some guys the Vikings passed on: Lamar was taken at 32; Russell Wilson went in the third; Dak in the fourth; I won't bother with Brady; Purdy in the 7th; Romo was undrafted; ... I could go on. Not every franchise QB goes in the top 10.

If you really believe JJ or Penix or Nix are franchise QBs, then fine, take one at 11. Or even trade up to make sure you get him. But just because you like a player in the second round does not mean you like him in the first.