Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Murphy update

I wasnt thrilled with Murphy.  And Evans fell off a ccliff.  This class is deep at corner.  i hope we draft 2. 

Quote: @Bullazin said:
I wasnt thrilled with Murphy.  And Evans fell off a ccliff.  This class is deep at corner.  i hope we draft 2. 
I wasn't thrilled with Murphy until I saw how our other corners performed in the CB1 and 2 roles. Evans was having a pretty good year, at one point allowing less than 50 yards per game in 9 of 11 games, until he turned to shit and got benched twice at the end of the year. Was it an injury? Or did the Murphy injury and Evans' subsequent move up put him in a role he couldn't handle?

Blackmon is a bright spot though. And Booth wasn't horrible in his limited time. 

I know he wasn't popular in the fandom but I thought Murphy was a good signing and fine player. Hoping Flo sticks around and Murphy is even better next year.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
I know he wasn't popular in the fandom but I thought Murphy was a good signing and fine player. Hoping Flo sticks around and Murphy is even better next year.
I agree,  I dont think this system does the CBs any favors aside from tying to force the QB to get the ball out early,  but when that doesnt happen they are often left on an island and a receiver that has all the room and time to make double and triple moves.  I also dont think everyone understood the scheme,  when you constantly see guys late to the ball,  wide open receivers across the middle,  etc,  that start to sound like there is maybe to much going on.  I think we will see an improvement next year if they have the same coach and scheme now that they will have a year to figure out where they were vulnerable and scheme fixes.

He was up and down all year, injury made it worse.

I think we are all shaking our heads today at the Cine and Evans draft picks.  Flushed down the toilet.

None of the guys were outright bad this year. Murphy was a little of a disappointment for me, but he also played banged up and in a defense that puts a lot on the corner. He made some key tackles at times that were not at all easy.
Blackmon was legit good to great. Shoutout to the front office with that draft pick. A third rounder performing like he did in a system like the Vikes run is outstanding. 
Evans is still developing and did some things really well and others not so much. I see a positive future for him depending on health.

Booth played well. I didn’t expect much, but he has clearly taken strides in his development. 
I think you always want to add guys in the draft because if the injury factor at corner. It’s a position where if you aren’t 100% it’s a massive challenge. 
The biggest disappointment for me this year was Asamoah. I thought he’d make a big leap, but it’s not looking good.

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
I think we are all shaking our heads today at the Cine and Evans draft picks.  Flushed down the toilet.
I think you mean Cine and Booth. Evans played well until the last three games. He'll have a big role next year. For Booth the outlook is probably not as bright. 

Murphy is a better fit in the slot. Moving him there will necessitate signing an outside CB in FA.