KAM on Cousins
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@MaroonBells said:
Something interesting in the full quote. He was obviously asked if he wanted Cousins back. His response sounds a little defensive to me. 

"Yeah. I think I've been pretty consistent with that," Adofo-Mensah said. "Kirk the player is somebody that, as we saw what he does to this team, I thought we were playing really good football before he got injured, and it's the most important position in sports. Now ultimately it always comes down to can you find an agreement that works for both sides and all those things, but as a player, it's certainly my intention to have him back here."
It's also an awkward statement in that he addresses him as "Kirk the player", as if he really doesn't care about him personally, whereas you get a different vibe when KOC talks about Kirk. He seems to be going a little too hard on the impersonal "I'm a big boy GM". Doesn't come off very genuine. It's obvious the deal has to work for both sides. Just say you're going to do everything you can to get him back, and leave it at that.
I was a little confused by that as well. But I think "kirk the player" just means Kirk as a piece of our roster construction. 
It's impersonal for a reason imo and that reason is not some personality deficit of Kwesi as is suggested above.  He is simply not going to give away anything that Kirk's camp can use in negotiations. 

Also it's possible the team's plans aren't as wedded to Kirk as people think and he is just subtly quelling expectations. Ditching Kirk is just speculation on my part, before anyone does the usual peeing of the pants about it. :p
Dude, it's not that complicated. 

Well feel free to give us your take.
I think you have to read between the lines. What is he REALLY saying? This might ruffle some feathers, but I think what he’s really trying to say is that it’s his intention to bring back Cousins, but that it will come down to whether they can find an agreement that works for both sides. In other words, it’s his intention to bring back Cousins, but that it will come down to whether they can find an agreement that works for both sides. Think about that. 
I don't know what his intention is. As I noted earlier their statements are deliberately opaque.
But if they don't have an agreement before March 13, the 28 mil dead cap goes onto the books which makes a new deal harder. To get a deal prior to that deadline is going to involve the Vikings caving on various terms, based upon the few tea leaves and goat entrails they've left us over time to read.

And so if Kirk enters free agency they then have to compete with other teams, no doubt some who will offer more money, better guarantees or length, and possibly a better chance to win a ring. There are big name coaches out there now in the market who might land in places where a vet QB makes them instantly competitive for a SB, and the owner opens the checkbook to get what they want.

So rather than guess what Kwesi wants, I noted that his word selection looks like that of a man carefully quelling expectations in preparation for this perhaps not being workable.

If I have to guess their intent, it's a below-market bridge deal without longer term guarantees, and the sticking point for Kirk is not so much money but guarantees and length that the team is not willing to commit to.

IMO it doesn't make sense for a young GM and HC thinking about having a long run to sign up for lengthy, guaranteed years of an aging, injured QB when they have a relatively high pick in a QB rich draft, or to undermine the need to rapidly develop and play that qbotf while he's under cost control, which is the current NFL best model for high level team building.

At the same time it doesn't make sense for that QB who is seeking his last big $ deal with guarantees and his last shot at a ring, to agree to be a below market money bridge mentor with a team option to cut him loose as early as year two.