Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on last play
From the 30 with 58 seconds left and the way our defense was playing, I was thinking that we needed to score and leave absolutely no time on the clock, so felt that the play was to throw underneath with what the defense was giving us and just take 10 yards at a time.  We ran a play for our two best WRs to go to the end zone, I could understand that if the design was to clear the underneath routes out, but with where Mullens was looking that surely did not seem to be the intent of the play, JJ seems to be clearly the first option, he even seems to look off to the left first before throwing to JJ.  You can see from pic, it is totally on Mullens who chooses to throw into double coverage instead of going to Powell who is screaming for the ball, but why make that your first option since with the way our defense was playing, even if he doesn't throw a duck to JJ and we score, with two timeouts and plenty of time, the Lions most likely would have scored and won anyways. 

[Image: h0qx6twi0vxi.png]

lol, so disagree with this take.

Its SO easy to put out a picture and pick things apart. The QB doesn't operate in a vacuum. JJ was open and Mullens has a greasy noodle for an arm. It was the right decision, but didn't have the mustard. And please save the horseshit 'Lions would have won anyway' stuff. Jesus. Mullens is distasteful to me in so many ways, but he saw JJ open too late for what his arm could provide. His arm can't cash the checks that his football mind sees.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:

Its SO easy to put out a picture and pick things apart. The QB doesn't operate in a vacuum. JJ was open and Mullens has a greasy noodle for an arm. It was the right decision, but didn't have the mustard. And please save the horseshit 'Lions would have won anyway' stuff. Jesus. Mullens is distasteful to me in so many ways, but he saw JJ open too late for what his arm could provide. His arm can't cash the checks that his football mind sees.
If you would have read the post instead of jumping at yet another opportunity to bash me like unfortunately you always seem to do, you would have read that I was questioning whether the throw to JJ was suppose to be the first option or if was to clear for the underneath route, which is why I showed the pic to demonstrate that if the play was designed for that it worked. My point being was that it would have seemed to have made sense instead of leaving time for the Lions to get a FG with two timeouts. You have a serious issue, not sure what I have ever done to earn your wrath, while I do not always agree with you I have always really respected you as a poster, but it is what it is, Merry Christmas.  

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:

JJ was open but Mullins was late with his throw.

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

JJ was open but Mullins was late with his throw.
Yep. 

Quote: @"JR44" said:
From the 30 with 58 seconds left and the way our defense was playing, I was thinking that we needed to score and leave absolutely no time on the clock, so felt that the play was to throw underneath with what the defense was giving us and just take 10 yards at a time.  We ran a play for our two best WRs to go to the end zone, I could understand that if the design was to clear the underneath routes out, but with where Mullens was looking that surely did not seem to be the intent of the play, JJ seems to be clearly the first option, he even seems to look off to the left first before throwing to JJ.  You can see from pic, it is totally on Mullens who chooses to throw into double coverage instead of going to Powell who is screaming for the ball, but why make that your first option since with the way our defense was playing, even if he doesn't throw a duck to JJ and we score, with two timeouts and plenty of time, the Lions most likely would have scored and won anyways. 

[Image: h0qx6twi0vxi.png]
If you've already thrown that many interceptions...how about throwing to wide open Powell with his hands up in the air on the left side of the picture.  That would have got you at least half way to the end zone...maybe more.  There was plenty of time on the clock.