• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Housing market in college football towns
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@minny65 said:
@StickyBun said:
@medaille said:

I think local governments need to do studies to find out how
many houses need to be available to support all 3 of these needs, and when
there’s shortages in housing there needs to be some amount of regulation to ensure
that local homeowners-to-be get priority, and then long term rentals, and then
AirBNB.  I really think we’ll probably
see communities have to start laying hefty taxes onto people that are buying
houses for AirBNB or long term rentals and potentially returns that money to people
that are looking to buy their first homes. 
It seems like the simplest and most obvious way to balance the havoc
that inflation is causing between the capital and labor populations.
This will never, EVER happen. What will happen is and is already happening is that there will be places people can't afford to live. How would you regulate 'local homeowners' getting priority? You can't regulate what people do with their private property outside of HOAs. REITs already skew the housing numbers and projections....so many people don't even know what those are. There's no stopping investment trusts from buying real estate and there won't be as their lobby is massive. Hell, the large ones are on the stock market. 

Its a shitty situation what is happening now, there's zero doubt about it. 
Disparity between and the "Haves and Have-Nots" keeps widening but can't forever.  Thier will be a tipping point.
You'd think that might be the case, but with all the pacifiers in place for the 'have-nots', I don't think there will be. 
I dont know,  there used to be more distinct classes of society,  as more get pushed into poverty or close to it,  that used to be able to live a comfortable lifestyle,  I think you will see more of a stink coming from our former blue collar crowd,  especially over the next decade or so as AI, and robotics really ramps up.  What are all the truckers going to do when we go to self driving trucks?  I've been listening to a lot of tech podcasts the last month and I dont see the rosy future for a lot of careers.  The inventors always say they those displaced will be retrained into other areas,  but will those other areas pay living wages,  and how long before those jobs are automated?   I hear people talking about being scared right now because of the threat of a nuclear war,  I think we should be more afraid of how we are going to keep everyone fed and housed when computers and robots will be eliminating countless jobs over the next decade or so.

another industry i see getting majorly downsized is the farming game.  what are all of Americas farmers going to do when JDeere, Dow, Monsanto, etc realize they dont need Farmer Brown any longer?  I would guess we are less than 20 years from fully automated farming,  and I dont think it will be those in control of the land right now running those farms.  We are already seeing it on the livestock side where the packers are owning more and more of the process,  its surely going to happen to the feed size as well.

@medaille said:

there’s shortages in housing there needs to be some amount of regulation to ensure
houses for AirBNB or long term rentals and potentially returns that money to people
This will never, EVER happen. What will happen is and is already happening is that there will be places people can't afford to live. How would you regulate 'local homeowners' getting priority? You can't regulate what people do with their private property outside of HOAs. REITs already skew the housing numbers and projections....so many people don't even know what those are. There's no stopping investment trusts from buying real estate and there won't be as their lobby is massive. Hell, the large ones are on the stock market. 

We already regulate what people do with private property.  We have zoning laws.  You can't just buy some land and do whatever you want on them.  Different businesses are restricted from different areas.  One could simply say, that all people providing short term rental accommodations need to be in XYZ zoning.  Licensing.  There's a lot of business types that are illegal to perform no matter where you are, and become legal once you become licensed.  Just start calling airbnb unlicensed housing, and charge them an annual license feel based on how much housing they have.  Property taxes.   People pay property taxes based on the value of their house.  It sure feels like someone who owns a home that is generating a revenue is a lot more valuable than someone who owns a home that does not.  Alternatively ... you can just tax everyones property a shit ton and then provide a very large tax credit for your primary residence.  Everyone with only one home that they are living in won't notice a difference.  Service fees.  Tack on $30 fee per day stayed for being part of the service industry.

The government has no shortage of options for how to control how we conduct business.  Up until a little while ago we didn't allow food trucks.  You couldn't take the truck you already owned and start selling tacos out of it.  Now you can.  They just wrote some laws ad it was done.

@minny65 said:
@StickyBun said:
@medaille said:

Disparity between and the "Haves and Have-Nots" keeps widening but can't forever.  Thier will be a tipping point.
You'd think that might be the case, but with all the pacifiers in place for the 'have-nots', I don't think there will be. 
What are the pacifiers you are referring to?  Legal weed?  Abundant Meth and Opioids?  Reduced prosecution for "noble" crime?  Let the people without housing live on the street, but with dignity?  Basically San Francisco?  Legal Euthanasia?

If you're talking like sports and tv, restaurants and bars and what not, these are rapidly being removed from affordability. 

I think pacifiers work when you are talking about a relatively large middle class where people can afford common decency.  I don't think pacifiers exist when you are erasing things that people used to take for granted.  When your 36 year old kid is staying in your house indefinitely because they can't afford a down payment.  you're going to start being more motivated and pacification will be less appealing?  When your "smart" kid decides not to go to college because it's too expensive and thinks that working at Wal-mart is the best option for her, and you're watching her not live up to her potential nor have a path to fulfilling it.  What pacifies that?  When your kids decide to opt out from having children of there own because kids are too expensive and you're facing the fact of watching your genes and your family tree end before your eyes.  When your wife starts buying the super thin toilet paper that sandpapers your ass and you start trying to weigh the conflicting thoughts of you're middle class, you're not that poor, but why are we buying this shit.  When you can't leave your too small starter house, because you can't afford to take out a mortgage with interest rates 3x higher than your current interest rate.

The middle class is rapidly being converted into the lower class.  We're all watching our society go backwards, while at the same time technology is making the production of everything easier and cheaper.  Robots and software are doing more and more every year.  People honing in on retirement are probably the most insulated because they have had their whole life to acquire assets, which appreciated in value.  There will be a tipping point.  We are very close to the tipping point.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@minny65 said:
@StickyBun said:
@medaille said:

I dont know,  there used to be more distinct classes of society,  as more get pushed into poverty or close to it,  that used to be able to live a comfortable lifestyle,  I think you will see more of a stink coming from our former blue collar crowd,  especially over the next decade or so as AI, and robotics really ramps up.  What are all the truckers going to do when we go to self driving trucks?  I've been listening to a lot of tech podcasts the last month and I dont see the rosy future for a lot of careers.  The inventors always say they those displaced will be retrained into other areas,  but will those other areas pay living wages,  and how long before those jobs are automated?   I hear people talking about being scared right now because of the threat of a nuclear war,  I think we should be more afraid of how we are going to keep everyone fed and housed when computers and robots will be eliminating countless jobs over the next decade or so.

another industry i see getting majorly downsized is the farming game.  what are all of Americas farmers going to do when JDeere, Dow, Monsanto, etc realize they dont need Farmer Brown any longer?  I would guess we are less than 20 years from fully automated farming,  and I dont think it will be those in control of the land right now running those farms.  We are already seeing it on the livestock side where the packers are owning more and more of the process,  its surely going to happen to the feed size as well.
I think it's inevitable that at some point, we're going to develop a semi-competent AI, slap it in a semi-competent humanoid body, and it will just replace all unskilled workers.  When you can make a robot human that costs less than a real human, why hire real humans?  Humanity will have to address this going forward.  Are you going to have the 1% that already own everything own all the robots and they can decide whether we get food or if farmland needs to be returned to nature because humans are destroying the planet?  I think we need to be owners of the means of production for the stuff we consume (give or take)

Quote:
@medaille said:
Quote:People honing in on retirement are probably the most insulated because they have had their whole life to acquire assets, which appreciated in value.  There will be a tipping point.  We are very close to the tipping point.
I think this is the demographic of this site or at least the 15 or so posters.  Most of us have the means/resources to help our adult children afford the new economy.  But I am not sure if those kids will have anything to pass on from there.  Most of our kids won't get married until early 30's if at all, many will have 1 kid no more or maybe no kids, they will not own a home until their 40's.  The Tipping point is not far off.