Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT- Ohtani signs with Dodgers
Is this the least surprising move of all time? 10 years at 700 million dollars. Just adding to the reasons I stopped watching baseball a couple years ago. 

Who really cares, salaries have just gotten to the stupid level.  

He definitely got paid. The money was there so he took it. It's just business 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Is this the least surprising move of all time? 10 years at 700 million dollars. Just adding to the reasons I stopped watching baseball a couple years ago. 
You stopped watching baseball because they get paid a lot? 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
You stopped watching baseball because they get paid a lot? 
No, mostly because I've been a lifelong A's fan....so take it from there 

With his injury he will not pitch for at least 1 year and most likely more and then you do not know how he will rebound from the surgery, so paying 70 million a year for a DH coming off major surgery .  With guys like Betts and Freeman and a stacked farm system hitting is not a problem for them, they needed top of line pitching which will make it harder to have money for now.   Think this contract is pretty irresponsible of the franchise 

How does baseball pay this kind of money when it's a dying sport?  

I still remember that old 60 Minutes report about this young Japanese baseball player who was that league's best hitter AND best pitcher. Wait, what?? It boggled the mind. 

Btw, the Dodgers, valued at $6B, could pay Shotime all ten years of his contract given 1 year of revenue. 

Quote: @comet52 said:
The owners print money from attendance. The Dodgers had the best attendance in the league last year, almost 4 million paying fans. Conservative guesstimate an average of $100 per head after tickets, parking, concessions and they’re at $400M before accounting for ad money, tv money, merch money ($$$)… Baseball is not dying. Way less casual tv interest but it’s still huge at a local level and attending a few games/season for casual fans and families is still a lot of fun. NFL is king but baseball is fine. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@comet52 said:
The owners print money from attendance. The Dodgers had the best attendance in the league last year, almost 4 million paying fans. Conservative guesstimate an average of $100 per head after tickets, parking, concessions and they’re at $400M before accounting for ad money, tv money, merch money ($$$)… Baseball is not dying. Way less casual tv interest but it’s still huge at a local level and attending a few games/season for casual fans and families is still a lot of fun. NFL is king but baseball is fine. 
I agree, there is something "provincial" about BB. It's one of the sounds of summer for me and very welcome after long winters.

Its more akin to CFB in that regard imo. Not like the NFL which goes for loud and over the top.