Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its pretty simple....
Quote: @"JR44" said:
The two things that bugged me the most about the game were the last two drives of the game.  Turnovers are part of the game that you have to overcome and we should have been able to win the game despite them. The last defensive stand was a complete joke, after playing aggressive defense all game, we went into a shell, rushed 3 guys and gave them the entire middle of the field wide open. Anyone could have gone down and scored against that scheme, it was as if we were up by two scores.  And then getting the ball with 1:03 and 3 timeouts, I don't see any excuse to not get yourself in FG position, instead we lost 4 yards on the drive. The game was there for us and we completely fell apart and choked it away.  
I don't think you can necessarily say we "went into a shell" because we used the 3 man rushes, as 3 man rushes are an essential part of our defensive scheme as we lead the league in number of 3 man rushes.  I think you'll probably see us come super blitz heavy against bad QBs and coverage heavy against savvy QBs.  That said I do agree that the style of 3 man rushes did feel more conservative and I think there's probably some combination of our defense being on the field too long and Payton/Wilson finding our weak spots and picking on them at exactly the wrong time.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"JR44" said:
The two things that bugged me the most about the game were the last two drives of the game.  Turnovers are part of the game that you have to overcome and we should have been able to win the game despite them. The last defensive stand was a complete joke, after playing aggressive defense all game, we went into a shell, rushed 3 guys and gave them the entire middle of the field wide open. Anyone could have gone down and scored against that scheme, it was as if we were up by two scores.  And then getting the ball with 1:03 and 3 timeouts, I don't see any excuse to not get yourself in FG position, instead we lost 4 yards on the drive. The game was there for us and we completely fell apart and choked it away.  
I don't think you can necessarily say we "went into a shell" because we used the 3 man rushes, as 3 man rushes are an essential part of our defensive scheme as we lead the league in number of 3 man rushes.  I think you'll probably see us come super blitz heavy against bad QBs and coverage heavy against savvy QBs.  That said I do agree that the style of 3 man rushes did feel more conservative and I think there's probably some combination of our defense being on the field too long and Payton/Wilson finding our weak spots and picking on them at exactly the wrong time.
I actually love when I see the 3-man rush. It means we're dropping 8, which makes it super hard to find an open receiver. 3-man rushes are especially effective for a team that blitzes as much as we do. It's not about the amount of rushers. It's about how you mix it up. Being unpredictable. If your opponent max protects because they think you're bringing the house and you only bring 3, that's a big win.  

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"JR44" said:
I actually love when I see the 3-man rush. It means we're dropping 8, which makes it super hard to find an open receiver. 3-man rushes are especially effective for a team that blitzes as much as we do. It's not about the amount of rushers. It's about how you mix it up. Being unpredictable. If your opponent max protects because they think you're bringing the house and you only bring 3, that's a big win.  
It was not a scheme we were mixing in here and there, but a shell we decided to go into most plays of the last drive.  Also, we were dropping everyone back leaving 10-15 yards leaving everyone wide open, it was a basic prevent defense, which led to us losing the game, was not a win in any way. 

Vikings finally get a   athletic QB who's as smart as an astronaut.

Except he's also a slow-learner.

Dobbs hasn't learned to protect the ball, yet.

KOC is gonna coach him to where his turnovers cease. The BYE week will help.

If TO's decrease, the Vikings are gonna be a tough out in the playoffs.

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"JR44" said:
It was not a scheme we were mixing in here and there, but a shell we decided to go into most plays of the last drive.  Also, we were dropping everyone back leaving 10-15 yards leaving everyone wide open, it was a basic prevent defense, which led to us losing the game, was not a win in any way. 
You can keep using the word shell, but it isn't a shell. Its a defensive concept. Now I'm not a fan of it, because you rarely get pressure and a NFL QB will find a small window to complete passes given time. 

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"JR44" said:
I'm not talking about anything specific. I'm just talking about how successful 3 man rushes have been for the Vikings. Does it always work? Of course not. But does cover zero always work? Nope, sure as hell doesn't. 

Sorry, just get tired of folks feeding into the ol' fan favorite narrative that we "went into a shell" or "got conservative" when we should've "stepped on their throats," as if we didn't try. Sometimes plays work, sometimes plays don't. 

Vikings lost because they turned the ball over 3 times. That's it. End of story. 

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:

He's been trying to learn to protect the ball for seven years in the NFL. I don't think a few weeks in purple is going produce a miracle in that department.

Quote: @"comet52" said:
@"Mattyman" said:

He's been trying to learn to protect the ball for seven years in the NFL. I don't think a few weeks in purple is going produce a miracle in that department.
I don't either. Its the thing that worries me most about Dobbs leading the team to wins.