Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT - Go Twins!
who would have believed me in May if I had told you the Twins would have a better October record than the Vikings at this point?

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
We could use a Jack Morris.
"Morris started for the Twins three times in the series, going 2–0 with a
1.17 ERA, making his final outing in the deciding Game 7. In a
postseason performance for the ages, the 36-year-old hurler threw 10
innings of shutout baseball against the Braves, as the Twins won the
game 1–0 on a 10th-inning single by Gene Larkin that scored Dan Gladden"
Jack Morris willed that team to victory.  Unfortunately in today's game twice through the order or the sixth inning the bullpen is up and warming.  But credit to Baldelli for going against his norm and letting Lopez pitch the 7th.

Lopez was absolutely phenomenal. It's amazing what happens when they actually invest in starting pitchers. Great to see Correa do well there. 

did anyone actually think that the water in Minnesota has improved?

I'm not hanging my head.  Houston has the better team, but I'm thinking the Twins will be even tougher next season. 
Go Twins!

At least the Twins are on the upswing 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
Are they really?  They set a record this season for the most strikeouts during a season.  They fail to try and manufacture any runs during a game and continually look for a homerun to score, that is a flawed team.  Baldelli has a horrible fear of letting his pitchers go more than 5 innings unless it's Lopez.  Relievers go 1 inning max.

And tell me the rational behind pulling Ryan after 2 innings in a critical game 4 they had to win to stay alive.  Of course as is the Twins way they bring in a reliever who immediately gives up a single and a 2 run homer, game over.  And how about the ninth inning with the heart of the order up against the Astros in a must win game, three batters three strikeouts.  This is a flawed team that only made the post season because of the crappy division they play in.

Quote: @Greylock said:
@Vikergirl said:
Are they really?  They set a record this season for the most strikeouts during a season.  They fail to try and manufacture any runs during a game and continually look for a homerun to score, that is a flawed team.  Baldelli has a horrible fear of letting his pitchers go more than 5 innings unless it's Lopez.  Relievers go 1 inning max.

And tell me the rational behind pulling Ryan after 2 innings in a critical game 4 they had to win to stay alive.  Of course as is the Twins way they bring in a reliever who immediately gives up a single and a 2 run homer, game over.  And how about the ninth inning with the heart of the order up against the Astros in a must win game, three batters three strikeouts.  This is a flawed team that only made the post season because of the crappy division they play in.
while I agree with much  of your sentiment,  the homerun swing and the subsequent strikeouts is rampant throughout baseball.  There is nothing unique to the Twins and Baldelli in that matter,  however his approach to pitchers is mind numbing,   also sending Buxton to the plate in that situation, come on,  why not just let the bat boy get some cuts in?

There's players that would crave big moments, like Kirby Pucket, Reggie Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Joe Montana, and then there are players that can't handle the pressure. Why the ones that can't handle it always end up on a Minnesota team is mind boggling.