Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Lions of the North
Quote:
The catalyst was getting a GM that understands what NFL talent looks like and how to build a team from the lines out. He traded Hock and lo and behold he has LaPorta  plus a 2nd rounder. He got Hutchinson, Campbell, Sewell, Onwuzurike, McNeill, all in the last 3 drafts. Goff is less mobile than Cousins by a mile but has close to 2 seconds more than Cousins in the pocket. Brad Holmes has been in the scouting profession since 2003 and the head of scouting for the Rams since 2013.
Just sayin' The Lions also get the Vikings 3rd in 2024.

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:
The catalyst was getting a GM that understands what NFL talent looks like and how to build a team from the lines out. He traded Hock and lo and behold he has LaPorta  plus a 2nd rounder. He got Hutchinson, Campbell, Sewell, Onwuzurike, McNeill, all in the last 3 drafts. Goff is less mobile than Cousins by a mile but has close to 2 seconds more than Cousins in the pocket. Brad Holmes has been in the scouting profession since 2003 and the head of scouting for the Rams since 2013.
Just sayin' The Lions also get the Vikings 3rd in 2024.

but we got their 4th rounder!

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
That Lions OL is for real, and the DL and LBs were making plays everywhere.  They're a really good, young team.  I wish I could honestly say the same for the the Vikings.
Not to be morbid, but I think the Vikings will be in transition the next 2 years and hopefully get back to contention in the NFC and NFCN. Kind of the beginning of the end, but turnarounds can happen quickly in the NFL with proper strategy. 

your timeline works only if they commit to the rebuild and quit pussy footing around in the name of "competitiveness",  get off Cousins, get off Hunter, get what you can for them ASAP,  and then start looking at young FA stud linemen that wont be able to resign with their current teams and focus the draft on QB, OL, DL, and LB,  worry about DBs and offensive skill positions later.
Nah, 2 years is totally doable, if we keep Kirk or draft a QB
that is capable of getting us there without trading too many picks.  We just need to draft quality players.  I think the only thing that really delays a
rebuild is if we use a lot of draft capital, such as our 2024 and 2025 first
and seconds, to get a QB.  That probably
delays things an extra year or two. 
Obviously, we’re never going to rebuild if we can’t draft good
players.  That’s just a given.
based on KAMs draft history to date... I dont see it happening the way you lay it out.
I mean with that as your belief system, what's the hurry in rebuilding?  Get rid of all your good players and replace them with busts and non-contributors?

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
That Lions OL is for real, and the DL and LBs were making plays everywhere.  They're a really good, young team.  I wish I could honestly say the same for the the Vikings.
Not to be morbid, but I think the Vikings will be in transition the next 2 years and hopefully get back to contention in the NFC and NFCN. Kind of the beginning of the end, but turnarounds can happen quickly in the NFL with proper strategy. 

your timeline works only if they commit to the rebuild and quit pussy footing around in the name of "competitiveness",  get off Cousins, get off Hunter, get what you can for them ASAP,  and then start looking at young FA stud linemen that wont be able to resign with their current teams and focus the draft on QB, OL, DL, and LB,  worry about DBs and offensive skill positions later.
Nah, 2 years is totally doable, if we keep Kirk or draft a QB
that is capable of getting us there without trading too many picks.  We just need to draft quality players.  I think the only thing that really delays a
rebuild is if we use a lot of draft capital, such as our 2024 and 2025 first
and seconds, to get a QB.  That probably
delays things an extra year or two. 
Obviously, we’re never going to rebuild if we can’t draft good
players.  That’s just a given.
based on KAMs draft history to date... I dont see it happening the way you lay it out.
I mean with that as your belief system, what's the hurry in rebuilding?  Get rid of all your good players and replace them with busts and non-contributors?
i am getting rid of an aging QB and a DE that may or may not be signing another deal in MN,  when they both happen to have trade value,   or we can sit on them through the season that leads to nothing,  they can sign elsewhere,  and we may get a compensatory pick,  but probably not since we will be shopping the FA market pretty heavy ourselves which would cancel out their deals.  but I am sure your way will lead to success...next year.

Quote: @"mgobluevikes" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
And what was the catalyst in this turnaround for the Lions? The answer is realizing they weren't going anywhere with Stafford and trading him while he was still a commodity for maximum value. There was no competitive rebuild bullshit. They took their lumps the last couple years while they restocked their talent pool. The Vikings should take note...
I agree with you completely, which is why I was one of the few questioning the wisdom of the Hockenson trade at the time while most others were hooting and hollering. Holmes is playing chess while Kwesi is playing checkers 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Greylock" said:
The Vikings need a Jerry Ball or Pat Williams in the middle of that defensive line.

Two teams in the division that I can't stand are the Packers and the Bears so if the Vikings are not the king of the division then let the Lions take it.  I just don't want to see them get to the Super Bowl because they may just win it in the next few years.  That would truly suck if they got a Lombardi before we do.
The only times our D have been dominant in the last quarter century was when we had Ball, Pwill, or Linval,  dominance starts at the LOS and the closer to the ball the better.  We need to be targeting a player next offseason that can make plays off tandem blocks and control the middle of the line,  and when they dont focus on him,  makes the QBs life rough.

We had Jordan Davis for the taking.

Quote: @"FLVike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Greylock" said:
The Vikings need a Jerry Ball or Pat Williams in the middle of that defensive line.

Two teams in the division that I can't stand are the Packers and the Bears so if the Vikings are not the king of the division then let the Lions take it.  I just don't want to see them get to the Super Bowl because they may just win it in the next few years.  That would truly suck if they got a Lombardi before we do.
The only times our D have been dominant in the last quarter century was when we had Ball, Pwill, or Linval,  dominance starts at the LOS and the closer to the ball the better.  We need to be targeting a player next offseason that can make plays off tandem blocks and control the middle of the line,  and when they dont focus on him,  makes the QBs life rough.

We had Jordan Davis for the taking.
Now you are just being mean on purpose arent you.  :'(