Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Stays? Who Goes?
Spotrac numbers:  
MINNESOTA VIKINGS CAP TOTALS
CALCULATED MARKET VALUES Harrison Smith's cap hit for 2024 is 19 million dollars.  I think we cut him and use that 19 million to extend Jefferson and Hunter close to the numbers indicated.  So Jefferson goes from 19 million last year to 29 million 4 years and increase of 10.  Hunter goes from 15 last year to 20 million per year.  Darrisaw's extension is going to be a huge bump becuase he made 4.2 last year and will demand 25 per.  

I am for moving on from Kirk unless he gives us a big break/discount which the market will decide.  According to Spotrac he is worth a 3 year, 39.4 per year and I say hell no to those numbers and length.  I am for signing a guy like Ryan Tannehill who is estimated to be 1 year 4.1 million and drafting a QB first round.  Not a fan of resigning Dobbs or Osborne and undecided on Akers/Powell.  

That would leave us with a ton of cap space to reload at key positions.  I would resign Risner but maybe look for a Center upgrade.  We need a lot on Defense but we would have the $$$ to sign FA's and a the draft.  

I'm not sure we have enough to work out deals with Kirk, JJ, Darrisaw and Hunter and if that is the case then I would pass on a 36 year old QB coming off achilles injury and go with a 25 year old JJ, 29 year old Hunter, and 24 year old Darrisaw.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
Spotrac numbers:  
CALCULATED MARKET VALUES Harrison Smith's cap hit for 2024 is 19 million dollars.  I think we cut him and use that 19 million to extend Jefferson and Hunter close to the numbers indicated.  So Jefferson goes from 19 million last year to 29 million 4 years and increase of 10.  Hunter goes from 15 last year to 20 million per year.  Darrisaw's extension is going to be a huge bump becuase he made 4.2 last year and will demand 25 per.  

I am for moving on from Kirk unless he gives us a big break/discount which the market will decide.  According to Spotrac he is worth a 3 year, 39.4 per year and I say hell no to those numbers and length.  I am for signing a guy like Ryan Tannehill who is estimated to be 1 year 4.1 million and drafting a QB first round.  Not a fan of resigning Dobbs or Osborne and undecided on Akers/Powell.  

That would leave us with a ton of cap space to reload at key positions.  I would resign Risner but maybe look for a Center upgrade.  We need a lot on Defense but we would have the $$$ to sign FA's and a the draft.  

I'm not sure we have enough to work out deals with Kirk, JJ, Darrisaw and Hunter and if that is the case then I would pass on a 36 year old QB coming off achilles injury and go with a 25 year old JJ, 29 year old Hunter, and 24 year old Darrisaw.  

FWIW, the amount of cap savings we would have from Smith is 11.4M.  I doubt that changes too much though.

Quote: @medaille said:
@minny65 said:
Spotrac numbers:  
CALCULATED MARKET VALUES Harrison Smith's cap hit for 2024 is 19 million dollars.  I think we cut him and use that 19 million to extend Jefferson and Hunter close to the numbers indicated.  So Jefferson goes from 19 million last year to 29 million 4 years and increase of 10.  Hunter goes from 15 last year to 20 million per year.  Darrisaw's extension is going to be a huge bump because he made 4.2 last year and will demand 25 per.  

That would leave us with a ton of cap space to reload at key positions.  I would resign Risner but maybe look for a Center upgrade.  We need a lot on Defense, but we would have the $$$ to sign FA's and the draft.  

I'm not sure we have enough to work out deals with Kirk, JJ, Darrisaw and Hunter and if that is the case then I would pass on a 36-year-old QB coming off Achilles injury and go with a 25-year-old JJ, 29-year-old Hunter, and 24-year-old Darrisaw.  

FWIW, the amount of cap savings we would have from Smith is 11.4M.  I doubt that changes too much though.
Ok I see that on Spotrac after 19 million less about 8 million dead cap.  But with cap creativity that we are known for you could use that 11 million and extend Jefferson and Hunter.  The huge jump is for Darrisaw who made about 4 million last year and we need to get him in the 25 per range.  Our overall positional spending will be heavily skewed towards offense vs defense in the 60/40% range with OT being the highest with Darrisaw/O'Neil.  

I don't think we can afford to pay a 36 yr old QB coming off Achilles injury who may miss the first few games 35 million +.  Also, not sure Hock will be back week 1 either.  

It's time for a reset at QB - IMO.  Sign a guy like Tannehill for the Spotrac expected 4.1 million for 1 year or make it 2 years 9 million.  This alone makes room for getting all the contracts above done.  Then go all in on the draft for a QB.  If the rookie QB stinks up the joint, we will know in 2 years or so and we will still have most of these key pieces signed and then we have another shot at a QB.  

We have been stuck in a competitive rebuild for years and the results have been 0-2 in playoffs and 50-39-1 record under Kirk ( zimmer and KOC).  Not blaming or crediting it's just a fact.

I am tired of status quo.  If we resign Kirk to 35+ we will probably lose Hunter and have trouble getting the other extensions done.  All that for a 36 yr old coming off a major surgery who has been an above average QB, in 6 seasons, record wise.  I do think Kirk was a Top 10 QB and good enough with all the pieces.  Well we didn't have all the pieces and we don't now.  In fact we would be losing pieces if we resigned him.  Too risky for my liking.  

It is time for a new chapter in Viking history.  

If I remember correctly, we are on the hook for $28 million next season whether Cousins is on the roster or not, so that does complicate things. In the case of Smith, I think it makes sense to let me go, since there are good safeties on the roster in Bynum and Metellus and maybe we can finally see something out of Cine. At QB, we unfortunately saw what the alternatives on the roster look like. All the backups showed flashes, but then came crashing back down to Earth. I think there's a case for using Cousins as a bridge for 1-year, but regardless of signing him, QB should remain the top priority in the draft. Maybe a guy like Tannehill would work as a bridge QB, but the hard part is that at 11 we are in range of taking a QB, but far from assured of getting whichever QB they want. The other thing that concerns me is that with Chicago picking again at 10, that teams will try to trade up with them to leapfrog us for a QB.

I don't really care what the timing of everything is, whether things happen today or a year from now, but re-signing Jefferson and Darrisaw should be the top priorities for this franchise, along with finding a longterm solution at QB. Period. If I were GM, that's the lens I'd be looking through. Every other transaction should be executed with those three things in mind.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
I don't really care what the timing of everything is, whether things happen today or a year from now, but re-signing Jefferson and Darrisaw should be the top priorities for this franchise, along with finding a longterm solution at QB. Period. If I were GM, that's the lens I'd be looking through. Every other transaction should be executed with those three things in mind.
Oh, hell yea if we could find a reasonable way (none crippling) to extend JJ, Hunter, Darrisaw and Kirk I am all for it.  But when you stack the 4, I lean on signing the young ins as opposed to a 36-year-old injured QB.  Maybe Bryz can work his magic which would be wonderful but I think it is time to move on from Kirk.  Overall, I think Kirk has earned his money, but he does need all the pieces, like most, and we have never been able to give him that.  Right now, we are missing a lot of pieces (IMO).  Now we have a predicament which we could all see even before Kirk's injury, right?  The injury just makes it crystal clear to me.  New Chapter in Viking Lore.   

Quote: @minny65 said:
@pattersaur said:
Oh, hell yea if we could find a reasonable way (none crippling) to extend JJ, Hunter, Darrisaw and Kirk I am all for it.  But when you stack the 4, I lean on signing the young ins as opposed to a 36-year-old injured QB.  Maybe Bryz can work his magic which would be wonderful but I think it is time to move on from Kirk.  Overall, I think Kirk has earned his money, but he does need all the pieces, like most, and we have never been able to give him that.  Right now, we are missing a lot of pieces (IMO).  Now we have a predicament which we could all see even before Kirk's injury, right?  The injury just makes it crystal clear to me.  New Chapter in Viking Lore.   
The Vikings have more than enough cap space to sign everyone plus a couple top free agents. People always seem to forget that most of these cap numbers go down with an extension. That house clearing the Vikings did last year with Cook, Thielen, etc did a LOT of good. 

JJ's cap number for 24 is $19M because it's 5th year money. You extend him, that number is cut in half, or more if you want it to. Harrison Smith counts for another $19M. That number won't hit the cap. O'Neill's cap number is $22M. That will likely be restructured because he's obviously a player you want to keep long term. Hunter's cap hit is $15M. That gets cut in half with an extension. The Vikings, if they choose, can have a ridiculous amount of cap space. 

Are you putting money into the future? Of course, but that's how it works. All 32 teams push money down the road based on where they are in their proverbial "window."  

So that's the question: where are the Vikings in their window? If you think they're done, you don't sign Hunter or Cousins and you rebuild. If you think the Vikings can contend for a title, you bring them all back and go for it and put your financial "vision" off one more year. But that is THE question. 

I would like to bring back Wonnum on a one year prove it deal, say 1Year for $3M.

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
I would like to bring back Wonnum on a one year prove it deal, say 1Year for $3M.
I think Wonnum is going to get some attention on the market. I know if we were looking for an edge, we'd be pretty excited about a 26-year-old edge who just broke out for 8 sacks. Not sure how much the late injury will impact that tho.