Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So honest question: what is preseason football really?
At this point, it’s just a way to get more money.  I don’t think it helps the teams better
prepare for the season in any meaningful way. 
None of the plays or schemes are relevant to what they’ll use in the
real season.  All the important stuff is
done in practice and they’re mostly just trying to avoid injuries to key players.

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@pattersaur said:
PA hyping Oliver only for him to immediately get toasted and a flag was rough. 

Chandler seems to firmly have the RB2 spot.

Camp superstar IPJ had some nice tackles.

Luigi Villain made an impact but I’d be lying if I said it doesn’t bother me his last name is evidently pronounced ‘vil-LANE’ and not villain ha. 

Joseph made his kicks.

Mullens is laughably better than Mannion ever was. Can’t believe we paid that bum for so long but I digress. 

Those are my first half takeaways. Didn’t watch the second half for many of the reasons Sticky mentioned. 
I would add Lewis Cine got trucked a couple times and Bercich brought it up during the broadcast that he needs to get the pads down lower. He looks like he's got a ways to go still and I expect Bynum and Smith to remain the starters unless there is injury..

Andrew Booth not playing until the second half and not looking good when he got in there. If we weren't so paper thin at the position, I'd say he was a potential cut candidate 

Agree on Mullens. I actually feel good about the backup QB position for a change 

Chandler looked decent. Not sure last night's performance solidified anything for the coaches 
i only watched the first half,  but I was pretty unimpressed with Mullens,  for a guy thats been in the league a few years, and 2nd year in this system, he looked to me like he needed to see the receiver open before he would throw the ball,  like he didnt trust his receivers,  or he didnt know for sure where the route was supposed to go,  but he seemed to double and triple clutch the ball quite a bit.  He was better than Manion yes,  but there is certainly a lot of drop off from KC to him and I dont see a guy there that would keep the ship afloat if Kirk were to miss a few games.

I see it two opposing ways: it's the closest thing to real game speed/intensity for testing new kids, development projects, and offseason "whim" signings.  This is basically good, and not just done by the NFL.

I also see it as a cash grab, a chance to get needed players injured, and maybe a tool for the NFLPA to have some of their young'uns and others circumvent typical avenues and position themselves for opportunities as "gamers" who don't perform as well in combines/practices.

I had fun last night, but the second half of a preseason game always devolves into one team playing while the other is basically throwing kids in for a quick look.

Raegor managed to run routes correctly, I was pleasantly surprised by that.

Quote: @Zanary said:
I see it two opposing ways: it's the closest thing to real game speed/intensity for testing new kids, development projects, and offseason "whim" signings.  This is basically good, and not just done by the NFL.

I also see it as a cash grab, a chance to get needed players injured, and maybe a tool for the NFLPA to have some of their young'uns and others circumvent typical avenues and position themselves for opportunities as "gamers" who don't perform as well in combines/practices.

I had fun last night, but the second half of a preseason game always devolves into one team playing while the other is basically throwing kids in for a quick look.

Raegor managed to run routes correctly, I was pleasantly surprised by that.
Yep I should have mentioned Reagor. Nice game.
Addison's sideline grab was also a thing of beauty that would've been overturned I think, had we challenged it.
Mullens' TD pass was pretty well defended and he put the ball right over the defender @JimmyinSD. I agree if Kirk winds up missing 5+ games (hope not, obviously), then fire up the tank. Franchise would be dense to do otherwise.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
foreplay
frustrating and mostly pointless?

I'm dragging this back to the top because......PRESEASON FOOTBALL IS GARBAGE. OMG last night, lol. And I watched a little of the Lions game and it was atrocious. Backups are playing and backups are horrible. Make this 2 games a year. And then the 'analysis' afterwards by the media? Ridiculous. 

Man I've turned into a curmudgeon when it comes to the hyperbole of the league, lol. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

Our second string is competitive.  Our third string totally stinks. 

KOC is 0-5 in preseason for his young career, and can keep the perfect record intact next week vs. Arizona, by just putting the third string out there no later than Q3.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I'm dragging this back to the top because......PRESEASON FOOTBALL IS GARBAGE. OMG last night, lol. And I watched a little of the Lions game and it was atrocious. Backups are playing and backups are horrible. Make this 2 games a year. And then the 'analysis' afterwards by the media? Ridiculous. 

Man I've turned into a curmudgeon when it comes to the hyperbole of the league, lol. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Most years I feel like there’s more bright spots or young guys who are projected to play big roles during the season who I can key in on. Under KO, especially this year, I agree. The 2 games have mostly been a nothingburger. Greg Joseph has looked solid so that’s something.