Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI.com: How the Vikings unlocked a new Kirk Cousins

That's a really good read.  I think the knock on Cousins is that he's been too robotic and if an opposing D throws something unusual / not planned for at him, it can throw him off.  Way off.  Between the Quarterback series on Netflix and this article, I think we can see who Cousins really is, and that the KO-Cousins relationship is unlocking that mechanical robot and allowing the artist to emerge.  I have more faith in Cousins going into this year than I've ever had before...maybe even a warm fuzzy or two.

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
That's a really good read.  I think the knock on Cousins is that he's been too robotic and if an opposing D throws something unusual / not planned for at him, it can throw him off.  Way off.  Between the Quarterback series on Netflix and this article, I think we can see who Cousins really is, and that the KO-Cousins relationship is unlocking that mechanical robot and allowing the artist to emerge.  I have more faith in Cousins going into this year than I've ever had before...maybe even a warm fuzzy or two.
What I dont get is why we didn’t extend him?  Cousins is this teams QB for another 5 years or so. 

I'm very hopeful.

It's been hard to watch the team...well, hell, for a long time, really, even 2017, because I knew we weren't going a championship team...and doubly hard to watch the Cousins/Zimmer mess.  We had an inflexible defensive coach and a potentially great QB who'd just come from a bipolar team that wouldn't invest in him to a team that mostly wanted him...except the head coach.  The mess with coordinators, culture, mistakes, failed protection, and tons of blown opportunities by all involved was brutal.

The worst part was, it felt unnecessary.  We had a ton of talent, but Zimmer was slipping, Cousins was good but on uneven footing, and the middle of his line was bad as the defense was getting downright terrible.

Last season was bizarre, no argument.  13 wins, most by narrow margins, and the former "non-clutch Kirk" suddenly makes leads more game-saving drives than any QB in the league...and the defense would be awful for 2.5 quarters, but make just enough clutch plays to (usually) save things late.  It was hard on hearts and nerves, but it also dished up this season.  I gotta admit, I'm very impatient.

I've had Kirk's back since we got him, and while I don't regret it, I've said many times that my biggest issue is that we didn't know exactly what we had with him; until we got him consistency in coaching and protection, it's hard to really know who #8 is for the Vikings.  I'm hoping that this season, with the "band" mostly back together on offense and the kids (looking at you, Ingram) both smarter and better than last year, Kirk will have the comfort and the knowledge of system and players to step up into the QB we've hoped for, the guy that can actually lead the team rather than be our next footnote in a long story of QB mishaps.  With all love to Fran, Tommy, Brad, Warren, Randall, Jeff, Christian, TJack, Daunte, "Burt", Sage, Teddy, and others...the best of them got us our biggest losses, most of the others weren't playing on competitive teams, and we're still looking for the guy that hoists the trophy.

I'm always hoping it's whichever Vikings is under center, but I'll admit that Kirk looks like the best candidate we've had in a loooooong time to break "the curse"; but he'll need 52 other candidates plus KOC and his staff to make it happen.

To paraphrase, the QB has to make all the throws expected, unless there is an opportunity for something special.  No wonder so few can master that.  Hopefully Cousins has found his coach and his ability to carry the team to the next level.

Trying to put everything in perspective Zanary...we were 13-4 with 11 of those wins being one score wins.  With an almost league-worst defense and a porous OL that caused Cousins to get sacked 46 times (3rd most in the league) last year.  Makes one wonder what we would have if A) we weren't near the league bottom in holding 3 and outs allowing the ball to come back to the offense more, and B) if we could cut the sacks/hits by 50%...what would we have?

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
Trying to put everything in perspective Zanary...we were 13-4 with 11 of those wins being one score wins.  With an almost league-worst defense and a porous OL that caused Cousins to get sacked 46 times (3rd most in the league) last year.  Makes one wonder what we would have if A) we weren't near the league bottom in holding 3 and outs allowing the ball to come back to the offense more, and B) if we could cut the sacks/hits by 50%...what would we have?
Kinda makes one excited about what the offense can do in year 2, with TJ and hopefully a better O-line.

pair that with any defense and it could be fun.