Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flores D Comment
Quote: @greediron said:
@comet52 said:
I've said it before and will say it again--coaching matters, moreso in the NFL than other sports.  Remember when Mike Tomlin took a crap Les Frazier defense and made them  respectable the very next year?  

Ed Donatell was an incompetent.  If the product on the field wasn't proof enough, listening to him spout b.s. out of both sides of his mouth at his pressers sealed the deal.

Going from that to competency, even on a squad with a lot of holes and question marks, will make a positive difference.
You got your timeline a bit confused there.  Tomlin was before Frazier.
Yeah my bad.  He actually replaced Ted Cotrell.  In any case the point remains - the D improved because the coaching improved.

Flores is 100% correct, a defense needs an identity. A collective mindset. He's going to instill that in these guys. And then set about to be more unpredictable for opposing offenses. IMO, the D will be improved but next year they'll take a bigger leap.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Flores is 100% correct, a defense needs an identity. A collective mindset. He's going to instill that in these guys. And then set about to be more unpredictable for opposing offenses. IMO, the D will be improved but next year they'll take a bigger leap.
Offenses were excited to play the Vikings last year. You could see it in their game plans.

I don't know how much it will improve in '23, but I don't think teams will be excited to play the Vikings defense this year. It's going to at least make them study a bit.