Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With the new Transfer Rules and NIL Deals, this QB Class is Weak on Depth
According to the Athletic, 20 of the Senior Bowl QB invitees that had eligibility left decided to remain with
their current school, or transfer to a new one. 11 of those QB's have draft grades ranging from the 4th to
the 7th round.

Interesting how removing the rule that transfers have to sit a year, and the launching of the NIL program has
players choosing to stay in school longer vs. declaring for the NFL Draft. One example is the The Cavinder Twins. 
Hanna is making $833,000 and Haley is making $830,000 for their NIL deals. That's the extreme, but it's changing
the mindset of players who aren't elite prospects if they can earn more money by staying. Some players are getting
offered as much as $1 Million through the School's NIL Collective program to stay. It's become a legal way to pay a
College Athlete. They are leveraging their local stardom, popularity, and importance to their Team by taking what they
can get now vs. the lack of guaranteed money at the NFL level. I don't blame the Kids for capitalizing on this, but it
also explains why a lot of these QB's are getting over evaluated when the options in the deeper rounds are scarce to
Non-Existent.  

“It’s an anemic quarterback class as far as depth,” said one veteran NFL agent. 

Might give credence to the Rumors about wanting to trade up because there isn't a lot of options to draft a developmental QB
in the later rounds. 

I know this isnt the point of the thread, but his NIL stuff is crazy. The NCAA has to figure out a better way to do this. I've heard the idea floated that when kids commit to a college, they commit for 1, 2, 3 or 4 years, and you get paid based on how many years you commit for. It's like I'm a huge Notre Dame fan, and I can't even keep track anymore of the amount of kids coming and going into the transfer portal every year. Great for the kids to give them all the power essentially, but as a fan it sucks balls and hope it gets changed soon. It also makes it extremely difficult on the coaches who now have to recruit theor own players year round. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
I know this isnt the point of the thread, but his NIL stuff is crazy. The NCAA has to figure out a better way to do this. I've heard the idea floated that when kids commit to a college, they commit for 1, 2, 3 or 4 years, and you get paid based on how many years you commit for. It's like I'm a huge Notre Dame fan, and I can't even keep track anymore of the amount of kids coming and going into the transfer portal every year. Great for the kids to give them all the power essentially, but as a fan it sucks balls and hope it gets changed soon. It also makes it extremely difficult on the coaches who now have to recruit theor own players year round. 
The under the table money was always there for the Elite players in the big revenue sports, but now it's out in the open with a wider reach across the entire Athletic Department. I don't see it going away since they fought so hard to get it implemented. These large fund collectives are like a version of Title IX. Everyone is getting paid. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@supafreak84 said:
The under the table money was always there for the Elite players in the big revenue sports, but now it's out in the open with a wider reach across the entire Athletic Department. I don't see it going away since they fought so hard to get it implemented. These large fund collectives are like a version of Title IX. Everyone is getting paid. 
They've essentially made it to where the deep pocket, traditional programs with the big boosters will be the only ones competing for championships because they can buy the best talent year in and year out. Maybe that was happening prior to some extent but it's the wild, wild west out there right now

To further my point about college sports essentially becoming "guns for hire" we now have Kevin Durant style ring chasing going on. How would you like being a Louisville fan, and watching your best player jump ship to the team that just won the championship and totally stacking their roster? The NIL is killing college sports IMO..

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bask...ampion-lsu

To further my point about college sports essentially becoming "guns for hire" we now have Kevin Durant style ring chasing going on. How would you like being a Louisville fan, and watching your best player jump ship to the team that just won the championship and totally stacking their roster? The NIL is killing college sports IMO..

The NCAA had a diseased model that was basically indentured servitude. Making billions and giving the kids jack shit. Ridiculous. Long time coming. 

I love college sports as much as anyone, but let these kids get the bag. And if changes collegiate sports dynamically, tough shit. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:

The NCAA had a diseased model that was basically indentured servitude. Making billions and giving the kids jack shit. Ridiculous. Long time coming. 

I love college sports as much as anyone, but let these kids get the bag. And if changes collegiate sports dynamically, tough shit. 
It's a free for all, wild-wild west in college sports right now. Good for the kids, bad for the fans...who I believe will eventually grow tired of it and stop pouring money into it. I know that's where I'm at right now and I've been a college fan my entire life. Stories like what I posted above make it much more difficult to become invested 

@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:

It's a free for all, wild-wild west in college sports right now. Good for the kids, bad for the fans...who I believe will eventually grow tired of it and stop pouring money into it. I know that's where I'm at right now and I've been a college fan my entire life. Stories like what I posted above make it much more difficult to become invested 
I get everything you are saying. But you and I love a diseased system.....so when I look at it objectively, that's what I see now. And you're right, it will turn off some older fans. But its not going anywhere. It will be different with a new generation of fans. You and I aren't the target demographic anymore, lol. Sometimes I have a hard time with that.  B)

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:

I get everything you are saying. But you and I love a diseased system.....so when I look at it objectively, that's what I see now. And you're right, it will turn off some older fans. But its not going anywhere. It will be different with a new generation of fans. You and I aren't the target demographic anymore, lol. Sometimes I have a hard time with that.  B)
I know how the old system was not the answer, but neither is the new system where kids can simply jump ship to the highest bidder every year or just go ring chasing. There has to be some level of commitment to a program and there's just nothing anymore. I think the same should apply towards coaches. Makes being a fan and supporting these programs extremely difficult. My interest in watching anything NCAA related has shrunk significantly under the new system