Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the secret plan to be a running team?
Quote: @medaille said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@dadevike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@dadevike said:
KOC said he wants to run the ball better. I think he means it. I did not think Ham was going to be on the team last year. I figured he was a no-brainer cut this year. That's what you would expect for a McVeigh offense. Maybe KOC is putting his own spin on the McVeigh offense by adding some SF/Shanahan elements.

Adding some SF elements to the offense could also help Cousins. If we do not trade the farm to draft a QBOTF next month we could see a Cousins extension - may need to go to 2025 - and put off drafting a QB to next year. 
IMO  only way Cousins signs a short extension is if he gets to break the bank and that train never gets to the station so we need off. 
I suspect Cousins wants an extension now to play through the 2025 season. Vikings do not want to do that, at least not yet. But they may have little choice after the draft if they don't get a QB. Cousins also said he is not looking to break the bank - he is not asking for $40M a year. That is what Daniel Jones got. 
I agree with this...

He wanted the security of a through 2025 contract, Vikings said no or not yet. I'm not convinced they're going to prioritize a QBOTF this draft. Not with so few picks and so many other needs. 

If they stick with past behavior, they will not give up the farm to move up either.

This franchise doesnt have the balls of Buffalo or KC. 

Ha! Or you could say the balls of Chicago who mortgaged all TWICE to move up for Fields and Trubisky, the Rams who moved up for Goff, the Cards for Rosen, 49ers for Lance, Jets for Darnold, Skins for RGIII, etc. Point is not all bold moves have been successful. 
Ok - lets correct to "balls or QB intuition" of KC or Buff.  

I know, I know the list of QB's they both had for years -- but did they get lucky with Mahomes/Allen? Or did they become good at drafting QB's? 

Whatever their secret sauce is/was? I want me some of that...

I’m not sure you’ll ever be able to know the answer to that,
because there will never be a large enough sample size for a good team.  My gut feeling is that if there’s a 20% hit
rate on good to elite QBs (Made up number for easy math), you should plan on
needing to draft 5 of them to ensure you get at least one of them.  It will probably take less than 5, probably closer
to 2.5, but your plan should include drafting enough guys to weather the bad
ones.  I think what the teams should
really focus on is making sure you have everything in place to maximize a young
QBs chance to develop properly.  I’d
focus on having a good and consistent offensive coaching staff.  Decent OLine, WRs and TEs.  Put them in a place where they have all the
advantages.

And a D that isnt a bottom feeder...but I get the point and agree with it. 

The odds, the league and the cap make acquiring an elite qb hard. Which highlights how a franchise like GB getting to play with 2 HOF'ers for 30 years is unheard of. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I agree with this...

He wanted the security of a through 2025 contract, Vikings said no or not yet. I'm not convinced they're going to prioritize a QBOTF this draft. Not with so few picks and so many other needs. 

If they stick with past behavior, they will not give up the farm to move up either.

This "security" concept cracks me up - not arguing that you are wrong. Cousins has made almost a quarter of a billion dollars playing football. Before taxes, of course. How much more does he need before he feels "secure"?

I will push back on the "balls" comment. And I would not be shocked to see the Vikings make a huge trade this year or next to get their QB. I would not mind another year of Cousins and then Drake Maye or Caleb Williams in 2024. Moving up will likely involve at least two first round picks + more. 

Quote: @dadevike said:
@purplefaithful said:
I agree with this...

This "security" concept cracks me up - not arguing that you are wrong. Cousins has made almost a quarter of a billion dollars playing football. Before taxes, of course. How much more does he need before he feels "secure"?

I will push back on the "balls" comment. And I would not be shocked to see the Vikings make a huge trade this year or next to get their QB. I would not mind another year of Cousins and then Drake Maye or Caleb Williams in 2024. Moving up will likely involve at least two first round picks + more. 

A lot can change in a year as we know but Caleb Williams seems to be in that Trevor Lawrence/Andrew Luck/etc tier where the #1 overall pick is going to be untouchable, at basically any price. If Maye ascends then maybe #1 and #2 get that treatment.
Whatever team gets Williams will be actively tanking next season from the jump and will reveal itself very early on in the season. With the Wilfs as owners, that team will not be us.
Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing I'm not sure but Vikes FO has to make do with the 2nd/3rd tier of available rookie QBs if that's the route they want to go. Be it this year, next year, or in the future until shown otherwise.

Almost every time I saw Maye he was great. I like him better than any of the QBs in this draft. Even if Williams is out of reach, Maye is a lot more than a consolation prize. And if it takes 3 firsts to get one of those guys, so be it.

Spears out of Tulane could be a sleeper

If fans were wondering why they threw some # @ Oliver:

Head coach Kevin O'Connell has said he wants to run the ball more effectively in 2023.

The Vikings ranked poorly last season in just about every category: 27th in average per carry, 31st in big runs (20-plus yards), and last in short-yardage success, according to Football Outsiders. Run-blocking tight end Josh Oliver, who signed a three-year deal in free agency, has been the most impactful addition toward that goal.

I know, I know the list of QB's they both had for years -- but did they get lucky with Mahomes/Allen? Or did they become good at drafting QB's? 

That really is the key question as to what makes a successful franchise.  The interesting thing is that the Bills were actually the team that KC traded with to move up to take Mahomes, then the following year the Bills recognizing their mistake tried to make amends by trading up to take Allen. I am sure that there is a lot in terms of evaluating QBs, however in the NFL the QB play is a very mental game and it is hard to predict how 21 and 22 year olds are going to develop and mature, I am sure we all saw huge changes during those 21-25 years.  I do think luck plays a role, but the key is that you have to play to win, which is why I have always been a proponent of drafting QBs every year until you hit on your franchise QB.  

Spears out of Tulane could be a sleeper

If fans were wondering why they threw some # @ Oliver:

Head coach Kevin O'Connell has said he wants to run the ball more effectively in 2023.

The Vikings ranked poorly last season in just about every category: 27th in average per carry, 31st in big runs (20-plus yards), and last in short-yardage success, according to Football Outsiders. Run-blocking tight end Josh Oliver, who signed a three-year deal in free agency, has been the most impactful addition toward that goal.
Spears is my favorite value back in this draft.

@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@dadevike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@dadevike said:
KOC said he wants to run the ball better. I think he means it. I did not think Ham was going to be on the team last year. I figured he was a no-brainer cut this year. That's what you would expect for a McVeigh offense. Maybe KOC is putting his own spin on the McVeigh offense by adding some SF/Shanahan elements.

Adding some SF elements to the offense could also help Cousins. If we do not trade the farm to draft a QBOTF next month we could see a Cousins extension - may need to go to 2025 - and put off drafting a QB to next year. 
IMO  only way Cousins signs a short extension is if he gets to break the bank and that train never gets to the station so we need off. 
I suspect Cousins wants an extension now to play through the 2025 season. Vikings do not want to do that, at least not yet. But they may have little choice after the draft if they don't get a QB. Cousins also said he is not looking to break the bank - he is not asking for $40M a year. That is what Daniel Jones got. 
I agree with this...

Ha! Or you could say the balls of Chicago who mortgaged all TWICE to move up for Fields and Trubisky, the Rams who moved up for Goff, the Cards for Rosen, 49ers for Lance, Jets for Darnold, Skins for RGIII, etc. Point is not all bold moves have been successful. 

Did they get good at drafting QB’s? 
Uh, they both drafted 1 QB that happens to be very good/great. Green Bay can’t even say they are good at drafting QB’s. They traded for Favre, drafted Rodgers, and Love. It remains to be seen if Love will be good/great.
It takes either a shit load of luck or sucking the year before. Like the Colts with Manning, then Luck, who was injury prone.
Were the Chargers unlucky or did they suck when they drafted Leaf?

I personally think the Vikings are making a huge mistake gambling that they’ll find the QBOTF and not signing Cousins through ‘25. 
They should wait til next year if a QB doesn’t fall to them this year, then he’d have ‘24/‘25 to learn under Cousins, or if he’s that good, you play him in ‘25 and hopefully be able to trade Cousins.