Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins and his contract
Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Greylock" said:
@"wiviking" said:
I don't get all the references to Cousins age, considering he has not missed a single game due to injury since he has been here.The guy takes a ton of hits and has not shown any signs of becoming frail and fragile. Last week people were clamoring to give up what, two first rounders for Jackson? Being that with our defense, we aren't winning any games with a backup quarterback, I'll take the guy that is available to play every week.
That's just it though, he will be 35 at the start of the season and those hits add up for somebody his age.  He could be the exception but he could also fall off the cliff in a hurry.  Wouldn't be the first quarterback in his middle 30's to regress in a hurry.
nobody wants to acknowledge the signs of aging.  Kirks completion % has dropped every year he's been a Viking,  is that a result of other factors or is that due to his taking hit after hit after hit for most of his life?  He has also shown other little things, but like the comp %,  it might be age,  it might be other,  but his performance is not what it once was,  but he did thrown for a shit load of yards,  although I dont know if that is a great measure or not,  doesnt really account for YAC that comes from a great route or broken tackles/plays.
I don't have any problem with Kirk's play this past season.  I think you're letting your opinion about Kirk's contract demands taint your view of him as a player.  He wasn't the Kirk some complained about in prior season...  You know the robotic "say and do everything right up until your down by 10 and then get a TD pass in the last minute of the game to lose by @ FG" guy.  He was Big Kirko this year.  I'll take that all day and twice on Sundays.  But I wish he'd throw us a bone now.  Vikings showed him the love on multiple guaranteed deals.  Love us back some and give us a longer deal with only the first couple years guaranteed so we can play with his cap hits.
I didn't see the precision in his passing,  he was throwing high more than in the past.  We could do a lot worse,  but I just have seen enough to feel that his contract combined with his short comings will never lead to a SB for our team so given his age and unlikeliness to change before he's toast,  I think the teams best move was to move on ASAP.  Its never been about him as a person,   he's shown growth as a leader on the field,  but its just plain economics for me.  I said when the signed him that I thought it was to much for a player of his caliber and given how little growth/success the team has shown in the last 5 years i think I was right.  What excess he takes away,  he isn't good enough to cover and it leaves a talent void.  He's a good QB,  but not good enough for the money he demands.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Greylock" said:
@"wiviking" said:
I don't get all the references to Cousins age, considering he has not missed a single game due to injury since he has been here.The guy takes a ton of hits and has not shown any signs of becoming frail and fragile. Last week people were clamoring to give up what, two first rounders for Jackson? Being that with our defense, we aren't winning any games with a backup quarterback, I'll take the guy that is available to play every week.
That's just it though, he will be 35 at the start of the season and those hits add up for somebody his age.  He could be the exception but he could also fall off the cliff in a hurry.  Wouldn't be the first quarterback in his middle 30's to regress in a hurry.
nobody wants to acknowledge the signs of aging.  Kirks completion % has dropped every year he's been a Viking,  is that a result of other factors or is that due to his taking hit after hit after hit for most of his life?  He has also shown other little things, but like the comp %,  it might be age,  it might be other,  but his performance is not what it once was,  but he did thrown for a shit load of yards,  although I dont know if that is a great measure or not,  doesnt really account for YAC that comes from a great route or broken tackles/plays.
I don't have any problem with Kirk's play this past season.  I think you're letting your opinion about Kirk's contract demands taint your view of him as a player.  He wasn't the Kirk some complained about in prior season...  You know the robotic "say and do everything right up until your down by 10 and then get a TD pass in the last minute of the game to lose by @ FG" guy.  He was Big Kirko this year.  I'll take that all day and twice on Sundays.  But I wish he'd throw us a bone now.  Vikings showed him the love on multiple guaranteed deals.  Love us back some and give us a longer deal with only the first couple years guaranteed so we can play with his cap hits.
He's not old enough for that yet. 

Well guess that's sorted out