Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AMA -- Rob Shanahan (For music fans)
Quote: @savannahskol said:
@"Rob Shanahan" said:
@savannahskol said:
Welcome Rob!
Thanks for the access to your friend, VikingOracle!

Rob, since you’re California-based, have you any involvement/stories with Beach Boys or the Doors? (probably before your time?)
A little before my time, but my parents had their records and I used to play drums along to them for many years! Turns out, the drummer who played on all those Beach Boys records was the great Hal Blaine, drummer for the Wrecking Crew, who I became friendly with at the end of his life. I photographed him a few times and also interviewed him for a doc I'm working on. Terrific guy with tons of great stories. I also photographed Brian Wilson about 10 years ago, and Robby Krieger 2 years ago at his studio in Burbank. 

Also, 2 of my favorite Cali bands Metallica and RHCP’S?  Any interactions?
Yes Metallica, and yes Chad Smith, a handful of times. Great guy, and fun to hang around. 

I’m a small town kid from SoDak, and also had a PASSION for drums/percussion, but unfortunately, I sucked…but sure enjoy those of you who dont! 
SoDak, never heard that before, I like it. 

any of your percussion skills on youtube?
More so on my Instagram: @shanahanphoto

congrats on the accolades you’ve received and thanks for sharing!
You bet! SKOL!

any embarrassing stories about VikingOracle would be enjoyed, as well haha
Nope, but I can tell you we met at our kids' school. Not many dads would show up to all the events, but both of us would. He's a good daddy! 

Thanks!

Rob, scrolling through your gallery online....WOW, great stuff!  
You're every bit the artist as those you cover, imo.  

My son enjoys so many of the artists you've shot...I just ordered  Vol 1 from Amazon, should be here just in time for his birthday in mid-April. 
He'll love it!  

BTW....that shot of Billy Gibbons, sans shades.... :o....put em back on, Billy!    B)

Thanks savannahskol for the kind words! Glad you bought a book, too bad you didn't buy on my site I'd have signed it for your son! 

For those interested, happy to sign/personalize:

http://www.robshanahan.art/

As for Billy Gibbons, we finally get to see his green eyes! But yes, shades... B)

Just got the announcement, Vikings released Thielen! Oh man....

Quote: @"Rob Shanahan" said:
yep,  hate to seem him go,  but thats part of the game,  not to mention it doesnt sound like he enjoyed his role in this offense and they didnt value him for anymore than what he was seeing last year.  wish him the best,  been a damn fun kid to root for.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"Rob Shanahan" said:
yep,  hate to seem him go,  but thats part of the game,  not to mention it doesnt sound like he enjoyed his role in this offense and they didnt value him for anymore than what he was seeing last year.  wish him the best,  been a damn fun kid to root for.
100% Class act, and super fun to watch. His love for the game and for the Vikings was fun to watch. My MSU brother, thanks for all the great plays...SKOL

Rob, if you were going to create a playlist featuring great drum solos, what songs would be on that playlist?

Now, Viking-related: what is your favorite Viking memory from your childhood?

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
Rob, if you were going to create a playlist featuring great drum solos, what songs would be on that playlist?

oh wow, so many, here's a few:
Aja - Steely Dan/Steve Gadd
Tom Sawyer - RUSH/Neil Peart
Hot for Teacher - Van Halen/Alex VH
Moby Dick - Led Zeppelin/John Bonham
West Side Story - Buddy Rich (or ANYTHING Buddy Rich)

Now, Viking-related: what is your favorite Viking memory from your childhood?

My dad had season tix at Met Stadium, we'd wait by the player's exit/parking lot and get our programs autographed! Matt Blair, Carl Eller, Paul Krause, Chuck Foreman, Alan Page...etc. My young mind was blown. Smile

Quote: @"Rob Shanahan" said:

oh wow, so many, here's a few:
Aja - Steely Dan/Steve Gadd
Tom Sawyer - RUSH/Neil Peart
Hot for Teacher - Van Halen/Alex VH
Moby Dick - Led Zeppelin/John Bonham
West Side Story - Buddy Rich (or ANYTHING Buddy Rich)

nice list! 

Carter Beaufort did it, & blew a bubble!