Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commanders release Wentz..
No way I want to see Wentz with the Vikes

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@Greylock said:
Agree with Jimmy, Nope
Oh come on. Former MVP Candidate, local kid, still only 30, who just two seasons ago threw 27 TD's with a 63% completion percentage for a Colt's team lacking weapons in the receiving game. I'd think as far as upside backup QB's he'd be ideal if we needed someone to step in and play winning football. I know it's a far cry from the Sean Mannion's of the world that we employ to wash Kirk's jock strap, but at some point we need to bring in an upside backup with Kirk potentially nearing the end. 
Why do some think just because its a local kid they should be signed by the Vikings,  Fuck the local kid angle, you think Kirk is a statute in the pocket then yea then lets sign the mobile Wentz.

Quote: @Greylock said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Greylock said:
Agree with Jimmy, Nope
Oh come on. Former MVP Candidate, local kid, still only 30, who just two seasons ago threw 27 TD's with a 63% completion percentage for a Colt's team lacking weapons in the receiving game. I'd think as far as upside backup QB's he'd be ideal if we needed someone to step in and play winning football. I know it's a far cry from the Sean Mannion's of the world that we employ to wash Kirk's jock strap, but at some point we need to bring in an upside backup with Kirk potentially nearing the end. 
Why do some think just because its a local kid they should be signed by the Vikings,  Fuck the local kid angle, you think Kirk is a statute in the pocket then yea then lets sign the mobile Wentz.
My argument would be it's not an offense designed for a running or scrambling QB, it's an offense designed for a quarterback to stand in the pocket and deliver to JJ, Hock, and our other weapons down the field. In that case Wentz is exactly what we would be looking for in a backup to Cousins because you aren't having to change the offense and there is continuity there. 

@Greylock said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Greylock said:
Agree with Jimmy, Nope
My argument would be it's not an offense designed for a running or scrambling QB, it's an offense designed for a quarterback to stand in the pocket and deliver to JJ, Hock, and our other weapons down the field. In that case Wentz is exactly what we would be looking for in a backup to Cousins because you aren't having to change the offense and there is continuity there. 
If this offense doesn't allow for a QB to move around,  then start looking for a new offense,  I dont know what O wouldn't benefit from a QB that can move in the pocket to keep defenses guessing as well as being able to extend plays and take yardage when there.

@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Greylock said:
Agree with Jimmy, Nope
Cousins is a long way from nearing the end, and I don't really see too much upside. However, as a long-term backup to replace Mullens, we could do a lot worse.
I still contend that we don't know when Kirk's end will be, but he will be 35 prior to the season starting and history tells us the fall off for most QB's not named Brady happens between 34 and 38. Kirk's been durable, but he has also taken a lot of shots behind our porous offensive line over the years that has left me shocked he's been able to drag himself off the dirt and continue. Will he be able to continue that going forward, the chances are not in our favor. It's time for the Vikings to do more at the backup position than simply find a jock strap washer to hold a clipboard. Those days need to be over under the current circumstances
First, I think with modern fitness and nutrition all QBs are playing longer than they did 20 years ago, George Blanda notwithstanding. 
Brady won a Super Bowl at 43.
Brett Favre had his best year ever at 40.
Drew Brees won a playoff game at 41. But I'd concede that his last really great year was at 39.
Manning won a Super Bowl at 39. But I'd say his last really good year was at age 38.
Big Ben was a playoff QB at 39. But I'd say his last great year was at 37.
Phillip Rivers retired at 40. But I’d say his last really good year was at 37.
Rich Gannon didn't even start playing well until his late 30s. Was NFL MVP at age 37
Aaron Rodgers was MVP at 37 and 38. Hard to tell if he declined at 39 since his receiver corp was so depleted. 
Cousins is 34 and will turn 35 before the season. He's never been hurt and doesn't have one of those enormous bodies (Ben, Rivers) that tend to break down sooner. If I were to put money on it, I’d say he has at least two, but more likely three years before we start to see significant decline. 
All that said, I'm all for putting a QB in the pipeline. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Greylock said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Greylock said:
Agree with Jimmy, Nope
If this offense doesn't allow for a QB to move around,  then start looking for a new offense,  I dont know what O wouldn't benefit from a QB that can move in the pocket to keep defenses guessing as well as being able to extend plays and take yardage when there.
This offense is not currently constructed like that because Cousins is not a running threat and it's designed to feature his strengths, which is throwing from the pocket. Just saying that wouldn't change with Wentz as your backup and we could run the same playbook. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Greylock said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Greylock said:
Agree with Jimmy, Nope
This offense is not currently constructed like that because Cousins is not a running threat and it's designed to feature his strengths, which is throwing from the pocket. Just saying that wouldn't change with Wentz as your backup and we could run the same playbook. 
Maybe there are parts of the playback that don't get used because of an immobile QB?  I doubt it very much that we've seen everything KOC has up his sleeve.  This O was shut down several times last year against playoff or near playoff teams,  so maybe we could use more of a play ok to get over that hump.  It's not just that our D got worked in those games,  our O was lacking as well.  Maybe a more mobile QB would motivate KC to use his legs more if he saw plays where he would have failed work for somebody that moves around a bit more?  Either way,  no thanks on Wentz.

A backup to Cousins plays what, maybe less than 5 snaps a season?  Wentz won't come cheap, and he's simply not that good to pay 10 mil or more per season and be on the bench.  I don't think Kwesi is drooling for Carson now that he's a FA.

Just sayin' in 2018 when Eagles sent Foles packing after he won the Superbowl in order to hand the job to Wentz 

And now 5 years later the Eagles QB is neither of them. and both Foles amd Wentz are looking for jobs.

The NFL has a funny way in how it works out.