Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mock Draft Tracker on Vikings.com
Of the 16 Mock Drafts they are tracking, 8 of them have us taking a corner at
#23. Devon Witherspoon of Illinois was the only Corner who was selected more
than once. I know it's early in the process and things will change once workouts 
begin, but that is 7 different Corners that the experts think could land with the Vikings
at #23. 

My question:

Is the Corner position so deep this year they are having a tough time reaching a consensus,
or are the rest of the Defensive positions of need for us like Interior DLine and Linebacker so bad
the value at Corner is getting inflated? 

https://www.vikings.com/news/nfl-2023-mo...ersion-1-0

I think every year for the last 20, we've been able to figure out what position the Vikings would take in the 1st round. I think maybe the only moderate surprise was 2018 when we took Mike Hughes. 

That said, this year is a grab bag. Who we take depends so much on what we do at DC, but right now I'd put corner as a, well, secondary need. I really like what I've seen from Shelley and Evans. And Booth should figure in as well. I sorta think Dantzler's never going to get it. But either way, because of the youth and uncertainty surrounding all four, I'd bring in a veteran and then draft another on day two. 

The 1st round? I'd like to save that for a bigger impact player. Again it depends so much on scheme and free agency, but right now I'd take a DL and LB...even a WR over a CB.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I think every year for the last 20, we've been able to figure out what position the Vikings would take in the 1st round. I think maybe the only moderate surprise was 2018 when we took Mike Hughes. 

That said, this year is a grab bag. Who we take depends so much on what we do at DC, but right now I'd put corner as a, well, secondary need. I really like what I've seen from Shelley and Evans. And Booth should figure in as well. I sorta think Dantzler's never going to get it. But either way, because of the youth and uncertainty surrounding all four, I'd bring in a veteran and then draft another on day two. 

The 1st round? I'd like to save that for a bigger impact player. Again it depends so much on scheme and free agency, but right now I'd take a DL and LB...even a WR over a CB.
I think it's down year for IDL and LB. Corner, QB, TE, and WR really stand out for the depth they have in the 1st round. I would also rather draft an impact WR at 23 instead of taking a CB. Need to let the talent we have at Corner and Safety sink or swim. Hopefully we can work out a deal to keep Hitman so he isn't a cap casualty. I believe he still has some good years left and would help our young corners, especially if we can deploy a more aggressive defensive scheme. The other option is trading down for a late 1st and a 2nd/3rd depending on where those picks fall. Or work a deal with Seattle to get both of their 2nd rounders, especially if they are going to draft a QB in Round 1. Our pick at 23 is a good spot for Florida's Richardson, or Stanford's McKee. Maybe they throw us a curveball and finally draft one of those as our own QBOTF. 

Quote: @TBro said:
Of the 16 Mock Drafts they are tracking, 8 of them have us taking a corner at
#23. Devon Witherspoon of Illinois was the only Corner who was selected more
than once. I know it's early in the process and things will change once workouts 
begin, but that is 7 different Corners that the experts think could land with the Vikings
at #23. 

My question:

Is the Corner position so deep this year they are having a tough time reaching a consensus,
or are the rest of the Defensive positions of need for us like Interior DLine and Linebacker so bad
the value at Corner is getting inflated? 

https://www.vikings.com/news/nfl-2023-mo...ersion-1-0
I think it's a deep group, but it's kind of pick your flavor of what you want at the position because nobody really has separated themselves as a step above the rest. There are 14 underclassmen cornerbacks to declare for the draft early. For that reason, and the fact that we've invested in the position, it would be very difficult to invest that first round pick on another cornerback unless they just stick out as the bar none best player on the board at that point. I think we can take advantage of that depth and still get a talented corner in the 3rd or 4th rounds to complete with the other young players we have on the roster and use that first pick on a defensive front seven player, quarterback, or a playmaker on offense. 

I'm warming up to the idea of taking a QB at 23 who can sit behind Cousins for a year and then take over. The two most likely to be there at 23 are McKee and Richardson. McKee reminds me a lot of Cousins. Accurate, can make any throw, and has a little more mobility. Richardson is electric. Incredible arm and explosive in the open field when he is on the run. When you look at the first round draft order, Young, Levis, Stroud, will all go in the top 10. My concern is that the other QB needy teams ahead of us will push McKee and Richardson up the board and we won't have a shot at either one. 

Quote: @TBro said:
I'm warming up to the idea of taking a QB at 23 who can sit behind Cousins for a year and then take over. The two most likely to be there at 23 are McKee and Richardson. McKee reminds me a lot of Cousins. Accurate, can make any throw, and has a little more mobility. Richardson is electric. Incredible arm and explosive in the open field when he is on the run. When you look at the first round draft order, Young, Levis, Stroud, will all go in the top 10. My concern is that the other QB needy teams ahead of us will push McKee and Richardson up the board and we won't have a shot at either one. 
I'm not as big on McKee as some others and think he is a mid-round talent. I'll tell you the guy I really like after that first group is Hendon Hooker. Arm talent-check, athleticism-check, size-check, accuracy-check, tearing up the SEC-check. 58 touchdowns to 5 INT's over the last two seasons with a completion percentage up around 70%. The two bummers on him are he tore his ACL and he just turned 25 years old, so overall upside is questionable. I'm guessing he will probably be a second or third round pick, but he would be ideal to stash away for a season behind Cousins.