Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead man talking?
I agree with the square peg- round hole analogy, and we all knew there were going to be issues from a personnel standpoint because we've been a 4-3 for 30 years! The entirety of this franchise we've been a 4-3 outside of a short one year stint in the 80's. It takes very specific personnel to run this 3-4 scheme effectively and we are going to be investing years of resources trying to get it right which I wanted no part of, especially when our best players on defense are best in a 4-3.
The other issue is we brought in a man who hasn't been good anywhere in _onatell to oversee this huge transition. I said the guy was a shit hire from day one and he has been historically shitty, so even I underestimated him. I'm telling everyone the best thing this franchise could do this offseason is fire Ed, bring in a legit coordinator to transition us back to a 4-3, and let's get back to being proactive instead of reactive on defense. 

The big issue I have with Ed is how basic everything is. He is ultra conservative and little is masked or is poorly masked. 
I look at the other playoff teams and defense is the difference. It’s not just scheme, it’s aggression, it’s risk taking, and being unpredictable. Ed brings none of that. An exotic blitz is exceptionally rare when we should see several a game. For an opposing QB, our tape has to look awesome. We have good players to be concerned about, but it doesn’t take much to see they are being used in a ultra predictive manner. It makes effective game planning easy for the other team.
We have the personnel to be much better than we are, but the team has to be used with aggression and disruptive unpredictable scheming. Without it, many of these playoff teams will be very hard to beat. 

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
The big issue I have with Ed is how basic everything is. He is ultra conservative and little is masked or is poorly masked. 
I look at the other playoff teams and defense is the difference. It’s not just scheme, it’s aggression, it’s risk taking, and being unpredictable. Ed brings none of that. An exotic blitz is exceptionally rare when we should see several a game. For an opposing QB, our tape has to look awesome. We have good players to be concerned about, but it doesn’t take much to see they are being used in a ultra predictive manner. It makes effective game planning easy for the other team.
We have the personnel to be much better than we are, but the team has to be used with aggression and disruptive unpredictable scheming. Without it, many of these playoff teams will be very hard to beat. 
Do you cry a little watching other teams defenses and thinking about how thats how people used to think about a Vikings defense?  I do,  its just so sad how far our D has fallen.