Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My beautiful balloon...
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
[Image: nina-luft-red-balloons-german-woman-warn...C585&ssl=1]

Why are we using Aim 9x missiles to shoot these stupid Chinese balloons down and not a few bullets from a cannon? 

Do you know how much these missiles cost?! 
It is as if the military industry has some in with the politicians.

Why are we using Aim 9x missiles to shoot these stupid Chinese balloons down and not a few bullets from a cannon? 

First reasonable explanation, physics and experience, I guess.

https://theweek.com/us-military/1021008/...-balloon-3

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
@purplefaithful said:

Interesting,  but then what keeps it afloat if the lighter than air gas that is contained in the balloon,   is no longer lighter than air,  then why doesn't it sink on its own back to an elevation where the contained gas is once again lighter than the outside air?  And if it's compressed then why wouldn't it escape from its compressed state out into the uncompressed atmosphere?  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
@purplefaithful said:

Interesting,  but then what keeps it afloat if the lighter than air gas that is contained in the balloon,   is no longer lighter than air,  then why doesn't it sink on its own back to an elevation where the contained gas is once again lighter than the outside air?  And if it's compressed then why wouldn't it escape from its compressed state out into the uncompressed atmosphere?  

At the atmospheric pressure of that altitude, the balloon will not react the same as it does close to earth, burst.  That type of balloon also has valves to reduce the volume of the internal gas so it will not rupture the container as the lower density gas expands.  Think of it more like a garbage bag or dry cleaning bag, full of very light oil in a lake, try sinking it with pins.  The missiles don't explode(large hole), on impact, they use proximity to "perceived" location.  It all relates to relative density of dissimilar fluids and the flexibility of the container.  Newtonian physics states gases and liquids will change shape to the form of the container, lighter fluid will lift the bag in a heavier, ie dense fluid, air and the container is also not rigid.  Less air, higher altitude, less helium required for buoyancy. Plus the energy of the winds.  Why are plastic grocery bags found up in tree's?  The main constraint, I assume is controlled descent in order to recover the evidence, correct?