Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: MLB Draft Lottery?
The whole idea behind the lottery is to prevent tanking. On that point, I get it. But I also know that the first year the Vikings turn to crap and get the first pick in the draft will be the first year of the lottery. Bet on it. 

What hasn't been mentioned is the potential excitement of the lottery itself. The NBA draft comes and goes without much notice. The MLB draft is even worse. These kids don't even play in the bigs for years. But the NFL draft is HUGE. The top players can be generational talents, players who can change the fortunes of a franchise overnight. 

The televised broadcast of the lottery winner would break records, and add one more piece to the NFL's nearly year-round media dominance. Just sayin....

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
There's talk that the NFL could be going to a lottery system soon. 

Former Saints head coach Sean Payton believes the NFL Draft could be undergoing a major change in the near future. 
During an interview with Colin Cowherd this week, Payton predicted the draft will eventually move to a lottery system where the worst team in the NFL wouldn't necessarily end up with the No. 1 overall pick. 
"At some point, we're going to move to a lottery system in the NFL," Payton said. 
The subject of the draft came up when Payton was asked about USC quarterback Caleb Williams, who he views as a "generational" player. With Williams being such an impressive prospect, Payton could envision a situation where teams try to tank for him when he becomes eligible for the draft in 2024, but a lottery would prevent that.....
More here: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sean-...ar-future/
Just awful. I would hate to see that in the NFL.

There has to be some type of checks and balances system to prevent teams from tanking. Again I go back to just taking the top 4 teams and putting them into their own draft lottery. I'm not sure what else you can really do. I just think allowing a team with (for example) the 7th or 8th best odds the opportunity to win the top pick is completely unnecessary. 
still isnt going to stop teams from tanking,  in your scenario,  you are sitting in the 5th draft spot,  just outside the lottery, definitely no playoffs in your future,  you know there are teams that are going to double down on suck to try and get into one of those top 4 spots, if anything this would encourage more tanking since you could be sitting 9th or 10th but only 2 games out of a top 4 spot,  but 5 games out of the #1 spot... you would likely be more incentivized to say fuck it and go for that lottery ticket.

I am not sure what the answer is,  maybe a nuclear type penalty for any teams found to have intentionally tanked for draft position?  but I dont like the lottery systems at all,  entirely to much room for outside influences in how the final draft positions get established and very few are based on the actual need of the teams in consideration.
You are right in that any way you disect it, there's a flaw and teams will always try to circumvent the system. I just hate it when you have a small market team like Oakland who's entire roster made less money then Max Scherzer last year, just get royally screwed by some farce lottery system. I think lottery systems are bad for sports amd I really hope the NFL doesn't switch to that kind of draft system.

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Former Saints head coach Sean Payton believes the NFL Draft could be undergoing a major change in the near future. 
During an interview with Colin Cowherd this week, Payton predicted the draft will eventually move to a lottery system where the worst team in the NFL wouldn't necessarily end up with the No. 1 overall pick. 
"At some point, we're going to move to a lottery system in the NFL," Payton said. 
The subject of the draft came up when Payton was asked about USC quarterback Caleb Williams, who he views as a "generational" player. With Williams being such an impressive prospect, Payton could envision a situation where teams try to tank for him when he becomes eligible for the draft in 2024, but a lottery would prevent that.....

There has to be some type of checks and balances system to prevent teams from tanking. Again I go back to just taking the top 4 teams and putting them into their own draft lottery. I'm not sure what else you can really do. I just think allowing a team with (for example) the 7th or 8th best odds the opportunity to win the top pick is completely unnecessary. 
still isnt going to stop teams from tanking,  in your scenario,  you are sitting in the 5th draft spot,  just outside the lottery, definitely no playoffs in your future,  you know there are teams that are going to double down on suck to try and get into one of those top 4 spots, if anything this would encourage more tanking since you could be sitting 9th or 10th but only 2 games out of a top 4 spot,  but 5 games out of the #1 spot... you would likely be more incentivized to say fuck it and go for that lottery ticket.

I am not sure what the answer is,  maybe a nuclear type penalty for any teams found to have intentionally tanked for draft position?  but I dont like the lottery systems at all,  entirely to much room for outside influences in how the final draft positions get established and very few are based on the actual need of the teams in consideration.
You are right in that any way you disect it, there's a flaw and teams will always try to circumvent the system. I just hate it when you have a small market team like Oakland who's entire roster made less money then Max Scherzer last year, just get royally screwed by some farce lottery system. I think lottery systems are bad for sports amd I really hope the NFL doesn't switch to that kind of draft system.
i fricking hate seeing the small market teams get fucked,  its going to ruin any sport that follows the other leagues that have made concessions to the large market teams to give them competitive advantages ( both above and under the table)   no reason an oakland shouldnt be on the same playing field as the dodgers or yankees in terms of competition.

wanna be pissed,  come be a twins fan with the richest owners in the game,  but absolutely refuse to spend to be competitive... even with a new ball park... fuckers!

@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

i fricking hate seeing the small market teams get fucked,  its going to ruin any sport that follows the other leagues that have made concessions to the large market teams to give them competitive advantages ( both above and under the table)   no reason an oakland shouldnt be on the same playing field as the dodgers or yankees in terms of competition.

wanna be pissed,  come be a twins fan with the richest owners in the game,  but absolutely refuse to spend to be competitive... even with a new ball park... fuckers!
The Twins like to celebrate their "almost" signings more so than any other franchise).

Quote: @"kmillard" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

The Twins like to celebrate their "almost" signings more so than any other franchise).
Or like meatsauce says on kfan,  Minnesota/Minneapolis sports fans have been conditioned to accept/embrace mediocrity.  We don't demand excellence for our entertainment dollar and create wins out of losses.  I wonder if it's due to having so many sports choices between the 4 major pro sports and the college sports?  There's always another season right around the corner to follow in hopes of a better result?

@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

It's not the small market at all but the Pohlads have had help pushing that false narrative and it has made them richer. They can boast that at least the Twins have won it twice but they sit on that and don't do anything to make things better. They won't do anything as long as they are making money.

Is tanking something that fans are strongly concerned
with?  I just don’t see it.  I think I’m way more concerned that a lottery
system is just a more efficient way of rigging things than I am that the shittiest
teams in the league are slightly more or less shitty.

Also, I think if we are really serious about stopping
tanking, we need to eliminate the ability to carry cap over from year to
year.  Doing what the Saints did, where they
kept deferring Brees contract money into the future, eventually leads to the
situation where you have to have a subpar year where you process all the back
owed money and start to prepare for a new window.  It’s just the nature of the NFL right
now.  Every team is playing with a
different amount of cap money, some years you’re all in and other years you’re
tanking.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
Is tanking something that fans are strongly concerned
with?  I just don’t see it.  I think I’m way more concerned that a lottery
system is just a more efficient way of rigging things than I am that the shittiest
teams in the league are slightly more or less shitty.

Also, I think if we are really serious about stopping
tanking, we need to eliminate the ability to carry cap over from year to
year.  Doing what the Saints did, where they
kept deferring Brees contract money into the future, eventually leads to the
situation where you have to have a subpar year where you process all the back
owed money and start to prepare for a new window.  It’s just the nature of the NFL right
now.  Every team is playing with a
different amount of cap money, some years you’re all in and other years you’re
tanking.
i have said as much,  dead/deferred cap years should not be allowed.  people talk like that is a smart move because the cap is going to go up,  but so are the prices of future contracts so rolling todays money into future caps is not a sound money management practice IMO.