Passing numbers DOWN :
10,978 attempts, fewest since 2009.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
Through 11 weeks, from @NFLResearch:

Rushing numbers UP :
8,830 attempts, most since 2006.

Passing numbers DOWN :
10,978 attempts, fewest since 2009.
They game goes in cycles,  would be interesting to see those breakdowns based on team records.

Not sure what the reason for that is, but I suspect it has to do with so many young, iffy QBs in the NFL right now. For example, over the next several weeks, we get Mac Jones, Zach Wilson (or not?), Daniel Jones and Justin Fields. Add to that the fact that typically reliable vet QBs like Cousins, Stafford, and Rodgers aren't having their best years. 

Being able to run the ball will always be important though. Even the best QBs have bad days, protections fail, receivers drop balls. Being able to fall back on the run game can make those bad days have less of an impact on the outcome...not to mention what it does for your defense. If we had simply been able to run the ball against Dallas, I think you would've seen a different game. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Not sure what the reason for that is, but I suspect it has to do with so many young, iffy QBs in the NFL right now. For example, over the next several weeks, we get Mac Jones, Zach Wilson (or not?), Daniel Jones and Justin Fields. Add to that the fact that typically reliable vet QBs like Cousins, Stafford, and Rodgers aren't having their best years. 

Being able to run the ball will always be important though. Even the best QBs have bad days, protections fail, receivers drop balls. Being able to fall back on the run game can make those bad days have less of an impact on the outcome...not to mention what it does for your defense. If we had simply been able to run the ball against Dallas, I think you would've seen a different game. 
Or maybe that defenses have countered the passing offenses with smaller D-line, smaller LBs and more coverage type of players.  

My son mentioned that yards per carry is way up as well.

WR’s are getting too expensive, it’s more economical to field a running team… Wink :p  see the 2022 Packers!!!  B) 

Quote: @Kentis said:
WR’s are getting too expensive, it’s more economical to field a running team… Wink :p  see the 2022 Packers!!!  B) 
Theres probably some truth to that. A big QB contract certainly limits the ability to have big contracts at all the spots. 

If they count QB scrambles as rushes, yeah I get it.