Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT - Help needed / College bound
So our son is starting to receive offers from colleges, and faced with some difficult (although grateful for opportunities) decisions.

SO IM CURIOUS AS TO OPINIONS HERE.  

Effectively it comes down to this.....ITS YOUR KID.....Would you rather....
Go to a DII or DIII school and play, or go DI, and ride the pine and get beat up on scout team every week?

We are under no delusions for playing pro ball, but he wants to play as long as possible, but understands the degree is the real goal here.   

MAHALO,
V83

IMO, D2 and play. The degree is what you make it at most schools. You can get plenty of academic opportunities because college is really what you make it. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
IMO, D2 and play. The degree is what you make it at most schools. You can get plenty of academic opportunities because college is really what you make it. 
Agree...D2 and a better chance of playing.  But first the degree, that will carry your son for a lifetime.

I think you answered the question yourself.  You said he wants to play.  If he isn't going to see real playing time going D1 then there's your answer.

If his game improves he will still be able to transfer to a D1 school if that is important to him,  and he likely will see better financial benefits of choosing the smaller school.

Is he really a SR already?  Seems like last week you were sharing photos of your family and they were little kids.  Damn I'm getting old.

Agree with everyone else. If playing is important to him, then I would go DII or DIII and play. If he stands out the D1s will find him. There's quite a list of pro players who went the DIII or JUCO route, including Bryce Harper, Mike Piazza, Thielen, Ekeler....

If he's concerned about the degree from the smaller school, I'd add that in 20 years of hiring people, I've never once cared about the school anyone went to. Sure, the major, the minor, the work experience...but I couldn't care less about the school. 

My son will be making the same decision for baseball schools in two years. Good luck!

Definitely agree with the others. Hope he enjoys the whole experience, gets to play and definitely that he gets his degree.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I think you answered the question yourself.  You said he wants to play.  If he isn't going to see real playing time going D1 then there's your answer.

If his game improves he will still be able to transfer to a D1 school if that is important to him,  and he likely will see better financial benefits of choosing the smaller school.

Is he really a SR already?  Seems like last week you were sharing photos of your family and they were little kids.  Damn I'm getting old.
LOL Jimmy, we are ALL getting old....

Kyles junior season ends Saturday, so he still has another year and a a half before he needs to formally commit anywhere.  We have some time, and will see whats on the table after his senior year.  a few schools in CA. a couple in Oregon showing interest.  We are only targeting schools on the West Coast so we can get in some games. (Still at least a 5 1/2 hour flight to the mainland)

Thanks everyone for your insight, always supported his wishes to “play as long as possible” but in the end, so few are even lucky enough to play at the college level, we feel fortunate that he can continue to “chase the dream”

V83

Just my 2 cents -- use want to play as the tie breaker.  Apply all the other criteria you and your son may have -- academic programs (if your son has an interest in a particular career path, certain schools may not offer that program), financial aid/cost, location, size, type of campus, etc.  That should pare the list down to only a couple of schools -- then you look at the opportunity to play.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Agree with everyone else. If playing is important to him, then I would go DII or DIII and play. If he stands out the D1s will find him. There's quite a list of pro players who went the DIII or JUCO route, including Bryce Harper, Mike Piazza, Thielen, Ekeler....

If he's concerned about the degree from the smaller school, I'd add that in 20 years of hiring people, I've never once cared about the school anyone went to. Sure, the major, the minor, the work experience...but I couldn't care less about the school. 

My son will be making the same decision for baseball schools in two years. Good luck!
wishing you and your son all the best in selecting a school to play for, its almost a part time job selecting regions, schools, receiving emails, sending film, corresponding..

..please keep us updated