Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When Will We Learn?
at what point do we hand them a check and tell them its their last one?  this shit infuriated me in LA and other gulf states and this one is no different.  Yes I have empathy for the people that are suffering,  but for the love of Christ lets not pay them to stay in harms way.  Let put stipulations on these repayments to make sure that they rebuild in areas that dont need to be covered by flood insurance.  Move them the hell out of harms ways once and forever.  Make the land a national park or something else that can not have houses on it.  (obviously this does not apply to all those affected by this hurricane,   but there are so many that are affected many times a decade that it really needs to stop.)  

up in fargo,   the govt went in,  bought the houses and said no more housing in the flood plane,  (not sure why its allowed in the first place but...)  anyway,  its time to stop this shit.  same for some of the other stupid things like building in the desert... there is no water there,  an essential element for life,  we are not supposed to live there.  or scraping down mountain sides for development and then acting shocked that they slide when the rains come... just plain arrogance and stupidity. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/de...ar-AAr5Hrf

I say the same thing for any type of govt run programs,  if there are repeat payouts,  its time to change the game so that the payouts dont have to be made the next time for the same damn issue.  

farmers are farming acres that should have never been farmed and then when the low ground floods  or the arid ground gets killed by drought... Crop Insurance!  bull shit,  quit draining sloughs and quit breaking grass lands.

we keep giving subsidies to giant corporations in the interest of developing new technologies...why?  so the rich can get richer?  who is benefiting from the subsidies to wind power?  certainly not the public that see their power rates get hiked annually.  

no more please.  

sorry... rant over.  (for now)

Nice rant and while you and I might quibble over some of the specifics I agree with much of what you said.

Does anyone know if just like car insurance... does the rate go up with every claim vs hurricane/flood for those living there?  Is there a place on the southeastern coast that hasn't been hit by a hurricane?   That would be A LOT of national park land.  The US government already kinda "controls" a 100 mile area from boarder.  Something I learned when looking at purchasing a resort/campground.  While I'm not for the Fed owning even more property in this country.... I cannot support them rebuilding people's beachfront properties every five years either.   When my town was flooded by rain there were houses damaged and I know of only one that is still standing today.  Most were not rebuilt, lots are left empty or bought by neighbors with garages or sheds on them now, no basements.  My basement filled up with about 3 feet of water, I was better off than some and worse than some.  I got $1,700 fed disaster relief assistance.  Lost washer/dryer set, hot water heater, freezer(all content), drumset, 2 computer towers, water softener and damaged my furnace blower unit.  As my Dad would have said "that 1700 was better than a stick in your eye, wasn't it?"   Yeah... just wondering if those flooded out almost yearly on the coast receive better payouts... cuz there is another benefit for having an ocean view.  Hell I'd rebuild and stay there if someone else was paying for most of it too.            

Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
Does anyone know if just like car insurance... does the rate go up with every claim vs hurricane/flood for those living there?  Is there a place on the southeastern coast that hasn't been hit by a hurricane?   That would be A LOT of national park land.  The US government already kinda "controls" a 100 mile area from boarder.  Something I learned when looking at purchasing a resort/campground.  While I'm not for the Fed owning even more property in this country.... I cannot support them rebuilding people's beachfront properties every five years either.   When my town was flooded by rain there were houses damaged and I know of only one that is still standing today.  Most were not rebuilt, lots are left empty or bought by neighbors with garages or sheds on them now, no basements.  My basement filled up with about 3 feet of water, I was better off than some and worse than some.  I got $1,700 fed disaster relief assistance.  Lost washer/dryer set, hot water heater, freezer(all content), drumset, 2 computer towers, water softener and damaged my furnace blower unit.  As my Dad would have said "that 1700 was better than a stick in your eye, wasn't it?"   Yeah... just wondering if those flooded out almost yearly on the coast receive better payouts... cuz there is another benefit for having an ocean view.  Hell I'd rebuild and stay there if someone else was paying for most of it too.            
I am sure the article states extreme examples,  but  there are several cases noted in there that just have me pissed when reading it.    I am as insured as anybody and I lose a building several pieces of corral fencing and have half my barn roof ripped off by what I know was a tornado,  but the NWS says it was straight line winds... guess what,  insurance company says you arent covered for that,  i say covered for what?  they say if it had been a tornado it would have been covered but this was just wind damage.... well WTF is a tornado but really high winds with a barometric pressure drop?  I hate insurance companie too.  its all a fucking scam.  I even asked the NWS guy to come out and explain to me how some things could have happened with "straight line winds" and he refused.

by the way,  sorry to hear about your flooding experience,  I know how much of a pain a wet basement can be without having the added grief of property loss.

as far as the govt owning the land,  they pretty much have to, they can sell it back IMO but it cant be built on with any permanent structure.  turn it into camper trailer parks with no,  absolutely no chance for insurance,  private or other.  I just want the people in these hurricane prone areas to be bought out once and for all and end the headaches and expenses for future generations.

Insurance is a complete scam.  Home, property, vehicle, business, life and health... all of it sucks when you want to collect.  Pay into it?  Sure that's easy as hell...   Collect?  ...Good luck.   Sucks about your property too.  Many tornadoes around here are small hop and skip types.  My aunt lost part of her roof in one of those awhile back.  Did damage around her town but only where it dropped far enough down to contact something.   Pasted over most of the city with any damage.  I have often wondered what the big deal was "labling" what caused the damage.... I should have know it was $$$$.  Out in rural areas there isn't video cameras set up to capture a funnel, there's no proof.  At least now radar can detect rotation better, that should help but still...  That guy didn't want to see anything that undid his claim...   I know a lot of people like that.  =)

Would you have had to buy hurricane insurance to be covered for straight line winds?   Hurricane insurance a thousand miles inland.... yeah that sounds about right.     :#

way to go DC!   the 15.3 billion dollar relief bill for harvey recovery is now morphed into a trillion dollar govt spending package.... I am so F*#Kn sick of all the pork that gets added to this shit.   those fuckers should all be beaten senseless.

and now Trump and his new found Dem friends are talking about eliminating the debt ceiling all together.   fucking brilliant!

15 billion into one trillion?....  Everybody LOVES Bacon!!!!!

And eliminating the debt ceiling?....

[Image: giphy.gif] 

Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
15 billion into one trillion?....  Everybody LOVES Bacon!!!!!

And eliminating the debt ceiling?....

[Image: giphy.gif] 

You're forgetting something: Trump is brilliant.  He is playing 4D chess while everyone else is playing checkers.  Everything he does is awesome.  Oh, and he's also very conservative.
And, in case anyone missed it...
that's SARCASM! (where's my "sarcasm" emoji?)

Insurance is a great thing when you need it.  I just wish that people were rewarded better for making smart decisions that save insurance companies money...better than they already are. 

I work for the elec/gas utility in St Paul.  I used to respond to gas leaks in the field but have been in an office job for the last 20 years.  But I remember what I saw when I was out there.  We had a bad storm with lightning strikes all over the place so we were busy.  I responded to a house fire in Oakdale.  The lightning struck near the house and arced onto the customer's copper gas line that runs into the house.  The voltage jumped off the copper line onto a nail or something inside the finished wall in the basement.  So the customer heard the lightning strike and almost instantly his smoke alarms went off.  We went downstairs and stated his wall was on fire (gas was burning inside the finished wall). 

He ran outside, shut off the gas meter and then grabbed his fire extinguisher and put out the fire.  I thought it was amazing what he did for being joe homeowner.  Not many would be that on the ball.

I told the guy his insurance company should give him and his whole family a trip to Hawaii while they repair his house since he probably saved them 150K.