Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defense ranking

They need to improve, obviously, but one game at a time. 

There are multiple issues here. You can't let the opposing offense dictate the game, which is exactly what Donatell has done. Everything he does on the back end is predicated on getting home to the quarterback, which we have been unable to do outside of the Packers game where they trotted out two back up tackles and rookie pass catchers. We get zero push or pass rush from anybody on the interior defensive line. Harrison Phillips and Tomlinson have not been good and we are screwing around trying to incorporate Bullard and Blacklock after inexplicably cutting Watts before the start of the season. It's a shit show. Instead of taking Jordan Davis and plugging him in on the interior of our line, we trade down for Cine who hasn't seen the field, is buried on the depth chart, and has "stacked" zero bodies. Like was talked about, switching to the 3-4 has taken our two best players (Hunter and Kendricks) and has forced them to play positions not geared to their strengths.  I absolutely despise seeing Hunter drop back in zone coverage or trying to run down the field covering a back or TE. Kendricks is a read and react player and he is much less effective doing that with less beef in front of him occupying blockers. The soft-shell pass coverage is just pitch and catch, especially with no pressure. Any team with upper tier tackles is going to abuse this defense, as we have seen with the Eagles and Lions. To me it's a scheme and personnel issue that's likely not going to improve this season. 

This is why I do not like coaches who are 3-4 only guys, coach to your talent, this team is not built for a 3-4, we are forcing it and it is a disaster.  Do we have anyone on our front 3 who would start on another 3-4 defense.  The DL combined with the bonehead move to keep our secondary so far back is so painful to watch.  Worst DC I can remember.  

Quote: @JR44 said:
This is why I do not like coaches who are 3-4 only guys, coach to your talent, this team is not built for a 3-4, we are forcing it and it is a disaster.  Do we have anyone on our front 3 who would start on another 3-4 defense.  The DL combined with the bonehead move to keep our secondary so far back is so painful to watch.  Worst DC I can remember.  
Exactly, and what happened to flexibility and even though they are a base 3-4, switching up to some 4-3 looks as well? So far I have seen none of that. It's been the base 3-4 exclusively with this bullshit soft shell secondary scheme.