Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'd forgotten all about Pettine
Quote: @"kmillard" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"kmillard" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I think the coaches that KOC has compiled are good. Maybe very good. But these are new systems being implemented. It could be the reason that the shell remained so long is the players aren't ready for the whole defensive playbook yet. They can't play chess yet like they want to. That might be giving them the benefit of the doubt right now, but I do think that's a big part of it. We'll certainly find out for sure.
As I said after Monday night, and how I have felt since last year. There needs to be an infusion of young talent on defense as in top blue chip type guys that can help turn it around. The Vikings defensive core is old for the most part. Sorry to say.
Except that it's actually not. Vikings have the 10th youngest roster in the NFL. And that infusion of youth on defense is already happening and will continue to. Once Booth and Cine replace Peterson and Harry, the Vikings defense will likely rank among the youngest in the NFL. 
The core is the high paid supposed stud players on D. The Vikings have youth on D, but most of it is just depth pieces who will amount to nothing. Cine and booth hopefully will be good, but remains to be seen. The vikings haven't really added a TOP pick to the front 7 since 2015. 
I get what you're saying, and I think improving the D is going to be a priority next season.

I do give them credit for adding both Phillips and Z in Free Agency, so its not like the D has been totally neglected. Plus Cine was a #1 pick too. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"kmillard" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"kmillard" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I think the coaches that KOC has compiled are good. Maybe very good. But these are new systems being implemented. It could be the reason that the shell remained so long is the players aren't ready for the whole defensive playbook yet. They can't play chess yet like they want to. That might be giving them the benefit of the doubt right now, but I do think that's a big part of it. We'll certainly find out for sure.
As I said after Monday night, and how I have felt since last year. There needs to be an infusion of young talent on defense as in top blue chip type guys that can help turn it around. The Vikings defensive core is old for the most part. Sorry to say.
Except that it's actually not. Vikings have the 10th youngest roster in the NFL. And that infusion of youth on defense is already happening and will continue to. Once Booth and Cine replace Peterson and Harry, the Vikings defense will likely rank among the youngest in the NFL. 
The core is the high paid supposed stud players on D. The Vikings have youth on D, but most of it is just depth pieces who will amount to nothing. Cine and booth hopefully will be good, but remains to be seen. The vikings haven't really added a TOP pick to the front 7 since 2015. 
I get what you're saying, and I think improving the D is going to be a priority next season.

I do give them credit for adding both Phillips and Z in Free Agency, so its not like the D has been totally neglected. Plus Cine was a #1 pick too. 

The Vikings have drafted a shitload of D backs high, that is not the problem, although we haven't had much luck with those picks.  The front 7 and especially D tackle has been undervalued by the organization.