Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Whoever’s coaching that group should be drooling right now"
Pretty good breakdown of Darrisaw by Mike Tice....
....Darrisaw certainly made rookie mistakes and you want to see him finish strong on every play but he can do things that you can’t teach and he doesn’t have a long way to go as far as fixing his technique. If he can live up to his potential, this Vikings offensive line could be massively improved. After our film session, Tice was bullish on the state of the Vikings O-line.
“Whoever’s coaching that group should be drooling right now,” Tice said. “You got (Darrisaw). You got Ezra Cleveland. The right tackle Brian O’Neill’s not bad. This could potentially be a pretty good line...."
https://theathletic.com/3389329/2022/06/...-analysis/

Interesting. I like O'Neill, but I don't think he's elite at RT....I think Darrisaw is built exactly how a modern NFL LT should be built: length, anchor ass, strong but good movement and the guy is a shade under 6'5"....not 6'8" which means he's got some leverage and can get lower when he needs to. You can look at Darrisaw and see he's strong, unlike Kalil or even Reiff. 

After all these years of poor, I'd settle for "pretty good"

Poor OL + immobile Qb (who likes to hold the ball) is not good calculus

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Interesting. I like O'Neill, but I don't think he's elite at RT....I think Darrisaw is built exactly how a modern NFL LT should be built: length, anchor ass, strong but good movement and the guy is a shade under 6'5"....not 6'8" which means he's got some leverage and can get lower when he needs to. You can look at Darrisaw and see he's strong, unlike Kalil or even Reiff. 
Color me cautiously optimistic about Darrisaw. It's almost as if it's too much to hope for franchise bookend tackles for the Vikings. When was the last time we had very good bookends? Steussie and Stringer? Zimmerman and Irwin? Darrisaw and O'Neill have the potential to be better than those two pairs. 

If Darrisaw lives up to his potential, and Ezra keeps improving the way he has, the Vikings will need to figure out a way to fit some pretty big OL contracts under the cap, along with JJ and whoever our QB is at the time.  

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Color me cautiously optimistic about Darrisaw. It's almost as if it's too much to hope for franchise bookend tackles for the Vikings. When was the last time we had very good bookends? Steussie and Stringer? Zimmerman and Irwin? Darrisaw and O'Neill have the potential to be better than those two pairs. 

If Darrisaw lives up to his potential, and Ezra keeps improving the way he has, the Vikings will need to figure out a way to fit some pretty big OL contracts under the cap, along with JJ and whoever our QB is at the time.  

Hey Maroon - check tour mail.   My apologies for delay - fighting COVID right now

I feel like we’ve invested so much draft capital into our
OLine.  It’d be a very pleasant surprise
if a little better coaching allowed us to flip a switch on their
production.  I still think we’re very
green on the offensive coaching side, so I’m hesitant on assuming anything will
just happen, but I want to be pleasantly surprised a lot.

Hope Tice is right. It's been so long since the Vikes have a real good, much less elite, OL that I will believe it when I see it.