Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guru Final Mock
Here it is! Please don't laugh at me that I chose a punter.... seriously. I have it on a decent source they probably will. What a way to preface this: 

1(12) TRADE - Honestly I think this could easily be a trade up if the price is right for either Stingley, Sauce, or a falling Travon Walked (not happening). I also have faded the chance of trading back considerably this afternoon, but the Vikings are willing to move back into the middle-20's for the right balance of picks this and next year. The Cowboys end up moving up to pick #12 for #24 (1), #56 (2), and a 2023 3rd. I was told by a source even for a QB its unlikely any team will be giving up a future 1st to move up this year. 

1(24) via DAL - Kaiir Elam / CB Florida: Ok, I promise I didn't steal from you Maroon. The fit at this point of the draft just makes sense. Although I don't think Elam is a good tackler, he has good eyes in zone coverage and the size to play at the LOS. He is a slightly lesser version of Xavier Rhodes as a prospect, so take that as you will. He slots in immediately opposite of Patrick Peterson. 

1(30) via KC - Kenyon Green / OG Texas A&M: Recent rumors are that KC wants to work the draft, moving up with #29 and back off #30, the Vikings oblige with their new found draft pick riches. 1(30) is added along with 4 (121) for 2(46) and 3(77). If you solely look at testing numbers, Green doesn't jump off the page. On film he knows how to move and he instantly slots in at RG for a Vikings offense looking for a final piece along the offensive line. Green hasn't necessarily been tied to the Vikings but given the opportunity he seems like a match being a young player with massive pedigree (5 star collegiate recruit). Closing out the 1st round with two day-1 starters is a coup. 

2(56) via DAL - Nik Bonitto / EDGE Oklahoma State: There is a chance that Bonitto doesn't make it to #56, but he is the perfect compliment to Hunter & Smith on the EDGE. Right now Bonitto isn't a finished product winning with his speed more than any other trait. However, he shows a more complete game on film which means with added development he can likely grow into an every-down contributor. He slots in as a situational pass rusher in year 1. 

4(121) via KC - Cade Otton / TE Washington: The Vikings will address TE depth at some point in round 3-5 (more likely). Otton is a good candidate for an immediate TE 2 role behind Irv Smith Jr. As a player Otton is an all-around threat who can stay in-line and block effectively while challenging LBs and Safeties down the seam. Although he can play as a stand-alone TE he is a nice compliment to Irv who can be moved around the field and outside the formation. 

4(142) via LAR - Kerby Joseph / S Illinois: The Vikings use their slew of late round selections 5(156) and 6(191) to better position themselves for a safety. Kerby Joseph is still growing into his role as a safety but showed plenty on tape to suggest he has a chance to develop into a long-term starter. While I doubt the Vikings overinvest at safety with Bynum already on the roster, bringing in competition and ST depth seems like a good happy medium. 

6 (184) - Danny Gray / WR SMU: I would imagine the Vikings would like to add a WR to increase their flexibility in 4-wide sets, but it will ultimately come down to where they get the best value. In this mock they hold off until the 6th but get a shifty and quick player in Gray. While Gray is unlikely to start early he likely indirectly opens up more snaps for KJ Osbourne by taking over his special teams roles. 

6 (192) - Malcolm Rodriguez / ILB Oklahoma State: Sticking with this pick from my previous mock. Rodriguez is undersized but shows all the ability to start at ILB on tape. He sits behind Kendricks/Hicks in 2022 with the opportunity to compete for a role come 2023. Not a bad outcome for a 6th round pick. 

7 (251) - Trenton Gill / P NC State: Don't laugh at me. Also no, this isn't to troll nor a shot in the dark. I expect Gill to be a Vikings whether it be in round 7 or as a UDFA. 

Making a call on punter is bold!!!!!  Always appreciate your work on these Geoff.  Thank you for your insight year in and year out. 

I like Elam or Booth a lot in a trade down scenario. I just like sticking at 12 for Williams, Wilson, or Davis better...
Getting an OG to shore up the line once and hopefully for all would be really nice though. Could not be mad at it! Thanks for doing these, Geoff.

I saw that Danny Gray was one of the top 30 visits so I was wondering if they might decide to take him. I honestly hope we trade down so we can pick up some more picks. That empty black hole that Rick left in the fourth round bugs the crap out of me so I hope they can pick up a 4th or late 3rd to insert in there. I would be happy with Elam and definitely Kenyon Green. After listening to all the guys chat about Logan Hall I’d rather have him than Nick Bonitto, but I have checked quite a few mocks that have him going at the top of the 2nd and even some that said he could sneak into the bottom of the first. Thanks as always for your annual Guru mocks, Geoff! T-minus 1-1/2 hours to draft time!

I hope that we don't draft a punter. I thought that Berry has done a really good job, so I don't see much reason to change things there save for cap savings, which get washed out if the new punter isn't good.

It would certainly be nice to shore up RG, since that has been a problem area for a long time. Adding a corner is good, though Elam seems to be a drop off from the top 3 corners.

We'll see what happens with the draft. We have a new GM and with a scheme switch on D, I am curious to see how that changes the draft.  

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:

1(24) via DAL - Kaiir Elam / CB Florida: Ok, I promise I didn't steal from you Maroon. 
It's OK.....

[Image: giphy.gif] 

Love the first three picks. Really want that '23 first though. Also, don't see us taking an IOL so high, but man, think about the upside of that line in a year or two. I have no problems taking either a punter or a kicker. I used to be dead set against drafting either one, but something about the last 10-15 years has changed my mind. 

I wouldn't move that far down the board unless it includes a 1st round pick next season. A lot of GM's and front office people coming out and saying they have anywhere from 16 to 18 legit first round grades in this draft. To trade out of that wheelhouse for anything other than a future 1st would be a mistake IMO

Geoff are you going to be in the chat for the draft?

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
I wouldn't move that far down the board unless it includes a 1st round pick next season. A lot of GM's and front office people coming out and saying they have anywhere from 16 to 18 legit first round grades in this draft. To trade out of that wheelhouse for anything other than a future 1st would be a mistake IMO

I saw that, but half of those guys will be busts, while the best players will be an assortment of 1st rounders, 2nd rounders, 5th rounders, etc. The NFL doesn't have a clue. They confirm this every single year. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:

I will be in and out of the chat most likely. 

epic sadness and embarassment if our draft goes this way. top 3 CBs within reach and we trade back for what the 6th cb? 

man i hope not