Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kipers latest says...
Any of the top 3 corners, Jermaine Johnson, Jordan Davis, Chris Olave would all make me happy at #12.

Allow me to play Devil's Advocate for those that want a CB in the first round.

The strict interpretation of the pass interference rules in the NFL today has made your shutdown CBs all but extinct. Every week there are at least 64 starting CBs. How many do you consider to be shutdown CBs?

Jalen Ramsey for sure
TreDavious White?
Darius Slay?
Marshon Lattimore?
Jaire Alexander?

Instead of trying to find the next Jalen Ramsey, you're better off finding CBs who can make the tackle after the catch. You don't need to spend your first round pick on a CB that can tackle. CBs with that trait can be found throughout the draft.

The most effective way to play pass defense in the NFL today is to rush the passer. Sack the QB, bat down the ball at the LOS, force an early pass, move the QB off his mark.

I'm either looking for a DL that can rush the passer with my first round pick or I'm going to take advantage of the way that the NFL is promoting the passing game by drafting a WR. 

There is a very good chance we trade down from 12 so there is also that...

Why do most people have CB as our clear top need?  Just look at the depth chart.  It is the only position that is worse than it was this time last year.  

Yes if a super blue chip falls we should take him, that is how we got Randy Moss and Adrian Peterson...  but is there really a player like that in this draft and will he drop to us?  

Quote: @"Knucklehead" said:
Allow me to play Devil's Advocate for those that want a CB in the first round.

The strict interpretation of the pass interference rules in the NFL today has made your shutdown CBs all but extinct. Every week there are at least 64 starting CBs. How many do you consider to be shutdown CBs?

Jalen Ramsey for sure
TreDavious White?
Darius Slay?
Marshon Lattimore?
Jaire Alexander?

Instead of trying to find the next Jalen Ramsey, you're better off finding CBs who can make the tackle after the catch. You don't need to spend your first round pick on a CB that can tackle. CBs with that trait can be found throughout the draft.

The most effective way to play pass defense in the NFL today is to rush the passer. Sack the QB, bat down the ball at the LOS, force an early pass, move the QB off his mark.

I'm either looking for a DL that can rush the passer with my first round pick or I'm going to take advantage of the way that the NFL is promoting the passing game by drafting a WR. 
If we played a cover-two, this would be a very good argument. 

Quote: @"rf54" said:
Why do most people have CB as our clear top need?  Just look at the depth chart.  It is the only position that is worse than it was this time last year.  

Yes if a super blue chip falls we should take him, that is how we got Randy Moss and Adrian Peterson...  but is there really a player like that in this draft and will he drop to us?  
It looks about the same as last year, maybe slightly better.  Breeland sucked (and is gone, addition by subtraction) and we still have Peterson and Dantzler on the outside like we finished last season. Sullivan is probably better than Mac Alexander at the slot.  Depth is the same.  I don't see how we are any worse off.

We will add a CB early in the draft but we don't need to do it if a very good player falls to us at 12.  Like say Hamilton (S) or Jermaine Johnson (edge) are available and Sauce and Stingley are already taken?  You could make an argument they'd be better picks than taking a CB in terms of talent and future need.

The Vikings have done a good job of filling holes in FA to find starters and/or create competition at weak spots.  The roster is competitive right now.  In O'Connell and Kwesi's first year at the helm, I think they should be looking to draft with the next 3-4 years in mind, not looking at what our biggest need is this season.  The chances of us reaching a Super Bowl in Year 1 with a new coaching staff are not good (and history bears that out).

This team has a new Head coach & GM, I think it needs a new Johnson…!  Wink 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
Perhaps the Vikings will take Cordale Flott instead who the DB coach also knows real well.

Vikings fans have convinced themselves that the team absolutely MUST take a corner with the first pick.  Feels like the Bradbury mantra from 2019 all over again.

A really smart and good football man said the CB depth in this draft is really good.  There is no need to FORCE a corner in the first.

[Image: 5h6ml51yx6nk.png]
Do the Vikings need to force a corner? Absolutely not. But is it the biggest need and the most likely 1st pick in the draft? Yes, of course it is. 
Who says corner is the biggest need? You and all of the other sheep?

Why isn't QB a need?  They just reluctantly extended Cousins. They have a slim chance of moving on next offseason.

Why isn't WR a need? They re-did Thielen's deal and it was NOT a hometown discount. It actually could be a raise. He has cap hits of 19.967M in 2023 and 21.5M in 2024. He ain't seeing that if the new GM truly believes in analytics.

Why isn't EDGE rusher a need? Both Hunter and Smith are coming off surgeries and we HOPE they can regain their previous form.

I do not buy into the herd mentality that corner is all of a sudden, the #1 need especially after they signed Peterson and Sullivan.
This might be the stupidest post I've ever seen. 
It is an honor to receive such a compliment.  Thanks.

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
This team has a new Head coach & GM, I think it needs a new Johnson…!  Wink 
[Image: Screen-Shot-2021-12-10-at-9.30.22-AM-736x523.png]