Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conklin gets 3yr - 21million from Jet's
Hope ISJ is back 100% and lives up to finally becoming TE 1.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets doubled down on the tight end position in free agency, agreeing to a contract with former Minnesota Vikings starter Tyler Conklin, a league source confirmed Wednesday night.
It's a three-year, $21 million deal for Conklin, a source said.
He joins C.J. Uzomah in the Jets' new-look tight end room. On Monday, Uzomah left the Cincinnati Bengals for a three-year, $24 million contract with New York.
Tight end has been a perennial trouble spot for the Jets. Only once in the past 10 years did a Jets tight end eclipse 500 receiving yards -- Chris Herndon (502) in 2018. Herndon was traded last preseason to Minnesota, where he wound up riding the bench as Conklin emerged as the starter after an injury to Irv Smith Jr.
Conklin's agreement was first reported by the NFL Network.
Conklin's market as a free agent increased significantly on March 8 when three tight ends -- David NjokuDalton Schultz and Mike Gesicki -- received the franchise tag from their respective clubs.
The former fifth-round pick became the Vikings' No. 1 tight end target after Smith was sidelined by an MCL injury for all of last season. Conklin had previously held a steady role in the Vikings' offense from 2018 to '20, but he thrived in a larger capacity when he transitioned from a predominantly blocking tight end to a reliable pass-catching threat for quarterback Kirk Cousins.
Conklin was targeted 87 times in 2021 and caught a career-high 61 passes for 593 yards and three touchdowns. His transition from a backup to starter began in earnest a year earlier when an injury sustained by former Vikings tight end Kyle Rudolph made way for Conklin to catch 19 passes for 194 yards and a touchdown in the final four games of the 2020 season.
In four seasons, Conklin has 93 receptions for 922 yards and four touchdowns.

No worries about ISJ here. He was the star of training camp. And in KOC's offense, he should be even better. And fantasy players take note. He's a TE you can get in the late rounds and he'll win your league for you. Thank me later.

Hopefully ISJ stays healthy and has a good season.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
No worries about ISJ here. He was the star of training camp. And in KOC's offense, he should be even better. And fantasy players take note. He's a TE you can get in the late rounds and he'll win your league for you. Thank me later.
I Like your thoughts on ISJ...always a buttSmile

But even prior to last season/injury he was being hyped as an easy replacement to kick Rudolph to the curb.  So far, from what I have seen from him in games he looks like he "could" be good but he has not been above average at anything.  I think I remember one good game but I am too lazy to go back and look.  I also heard how he was ripping up camp last year but it was nice to see Conklin break-out and have a good season.  Our other TE's sucked.  

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
I Like your thoughts on ISJ...always a buttSmile

But even prior to last season/injury he was being hyped as an easy replacement to kick Rudolph to the curb.  So far, from what I have seen from him in games he looks like he "could" be good but he has not been above average at anything.  I think I remember one good game but I am too lazy to go back and look.  I also heard how he was ripping up camp last year but it was nice to see Conklin break-out and have a good season.  Our other TE's sucked.  
TE more than any other position takes time to develop. They have to learn OL blocking schemes and routes. TEs who can contribute their first couple years are extremely rare. I'm sure I don't need to remind you how many years I've been saying that.

Someone on this board was bitching about the Rudolph extension when we just drafted ISJ in the 2nd round. To me, it made perfect sense. To let your starting TE go hoping your rookie TE could take his place would've been foolish.

But last summer's training camp was basically the JJ and ISJ show. It was such a blow to lose him. 

Agree with MB. ISJ will run wild in this new offense. He is better than Conklin in every facet. He will also be a nice security blanket as he can beat LB’s in or out of the box. 

Quote: @"Bullazin" said:
Agree with MB. ISJ will run wild in this new offense. He is better than Conklin in every facet. He will also be a nice security blanket as he can beat LB’s in or out of the box. 
Like I said, I hope so.  No doubt ISJ has the potential to be a much better TE than Conklin.  I was just happy that Conklin stepped up.