Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some draft talk...
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I usually agree with Tice's "get a big guy" philosophy, but this year the pick is obvious IMO. Gotta be a corner.

1. No question CB is a premium position worthy of a top 12 pick. 2. Looks like a good year for corners where we're picking. 3. It's by far our biggest need. In fact, depending on what we do in free agency, our 2nd pick might be a corner too. 

Still so hard to fathom after eight years of Zimmer and countless high draft picks invested in the position, that cornerback is STILL our biggest need. I'd say it's the definite odds on favorite to be the pick but with a total shift in acheme we could go anywhere on defense 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
I usually agree with Tice's "get a big guy" philosophy, but this year the pick is obvious IMO. Gotta be a corner.

1. No question CB is a premium position worthy of a top 12 pick. 2. Looks like a good year for corners where we're picking. 3. It's by far our biggest need. In fact, depending on what we do in free agency, our 2nd pick might be a corner too. 

Still so hard to fathom after eight years of Zimmer and countless high draft picks invested in the position, that cornerback is STILL our biggest need. I'd say it's the definite odds on favorite to be the pick but with a total shift in acheme we could go anywhere on defense 
The Vikings definitely invested in CBs but I still think some of the narrative is a bit skewed. 

Trae Waynes (1), Mac Alexander (2), Mike Hughes (1), Jeff Gladney (1), and Cam Dantzler (3) were the only CBs they took in the top 3 rounds since 2014. 5 guys in 8 years is more reasonable than people make it seem. 

As much flack as Waynes got, he was a high end #2.  Mac was a high-end slot until his comeback this season. The rest are meh with Dantzler still having untapped upside to his game. The issue isn't so much the # of picks or resources they've committed to corner. They just could never find a true lock-down guy similar to Rhodes in his prime. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

The Vikings definitely invested in CBs but I still think some of the narrative is a bit skewed. 

Trae Waynes (1), Mac Alexander (2), Mike Hughes (1), Jeff Gladney (1), and Cam Dantzler (3) were the only CBs they took in the top 3 rounds since 2014. 5 guys in 8 years is more reasonable than people make it seem. 

As much flack as Waynes got, he was a high end #2.  Mac was a high-end slot until his comeback this season. The rest are meh with Dantzler still having untapped upside to his game. The issue isn't so much the # of picks or resources they've committed to corner. They just could never find a true lock-down guy similar to Rhodes in his prime. 
True, but I think what bothers me is the inability to keep guys past their rookie deals. Waynes left. Mac left. Hughes and Gladney didnt even make it their full rookie contract. I have no idea what the norm is for guys to stay with the team that drafted them in the first 3 rounds, but Zim went O'Fer.

Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

True, but I think what bothers me is the inability to keep guys past their rookie deals. Waynes left. Mac left. Hughes and Gladney didnt even make it their full rookie contract. I have no idea what the norm is for guys to stay with the team that drafted them in the first 3 rounds, but Zim went O'Fer.
That was a big part of what frustrated me. They invested a lot of early round draft capital on corners and had nothing to show for it. Especially given Zimmer's reputation as a CB whisperer, it was frustrating to only see them draft early round corners, when you'd hope he could develop mid round talent or bring in veteran CBs. Instead, they spent a ton of picks on CBs and let other areas of the roster suffer. There was also some frustrating stuff like taking Mike Hughes, which basically guaranteed that Waynes would not see a second contract. Waynes was at least a good player and while injuries have marred his time in Cincy, he seemed like the kind of player they should keep and not just throw another 1st rounder to replace him with. It seemed like Spielman determined it wasn't worth giving CBs a second contract, so he'd just throw 1st rounders at them as a method of cost control. Certainly things were made worse by Gladney being awful off the field. I wonder if he had red flags in the draft process or if it was something that was missed by teams?

Quote: @"Tyr" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

That was a big part of what frustrated me. They invested a lot of early round draft capital on corners and had nothing to show for it. Especially given Zimmer's reputation as a CB whisperer, it was frustrating to only see them draft early round corners, when you'd hope he could develop mid round talent or bring in veteran CBs. Instead, they spent a ton of picks on CBs and let other areas of the roster suffer. There was also some frustrating stuff like taking Mike Hughes, which basically guaranteed that Waynes would not see a second contract. Waynes was at least a good player and while injuries have marred his time in Cincy, he seemed like the kind of player they should keep and not just throw another 1st rounder to replace him with. It seemed like Spielman determined it wasn't worth giving CBs a second contract, so he'd just throw 1st rounders at them as a method of cost control. Certainly things were made worse by Gladney being awful off the field. I wonder if he had red flags in the draft process or if it was something that was missed by teams?
Gladney had character concerns at the time we picked him if I remember right. Sometimes that works out and guys grow up, sometimes it doesn't so I'm not gonna kill the team for taking a chance but obviously in this case it was a bad pick.
The real killer of that pick was not selecting Antoine Winfield Jr. who went a few picks later. Feels like Rick or Zim or both overthought it.

Quote: @"Tyr" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I've brought this up in another thread but Zimmers reputation as a CB whisperer was based solely on his endorsement from Deion Sanders, but Deion was the reigning defensive player of the year before signing with Dallas. Zimmer never developed another upper echelon CB. Dre Kirkpatrick was a bust in Cincy under Zimmer and the list of draft picks spent in Minnesota on the position is well documented in this thread. The bottom line is Zimmer was oversold on his ability to coach and develope the position.

This draft is rich with 3-4 OLBs or teams that use a stand up DE on the weak side in base personnel packages. Lots of options:

• David Ojabo

• Arnold Ebiketie

• Myjai Sanders

• Drake Jackson

• Boye Mafe

• Dominique Robinson

• DeAngelo Malone

• Nik Bonitto

• Sam Williams