Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greenway says Alex Boone cut for being out of shape
Former Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway said in a radio interview Friday that guard Alex Boone was released because he was out of shape.
The Vikings let Boone go when they cut the roster down to 53 players last Saturday, paying him $3.4 million in guaranteed money on his $6.6 million deal for 2017.
“I had heard through some players that I know that are out there every day that said he came back not the Alex Boone of old, a little bit out of shape, and wasn’t really prepared for the season, and I thought that was pretty interesting,” Greenway said on KFAN.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/08/for...-of-shape/

Greenway liked the job Easton did at center. He was surprised to see him moved to left guard, and wondered how he will fit in with offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur’s attack, which includes plenty of screens and outside runs.
“I have to say that I’m pretty surprised that Easton actually earned that role,” Greenway told KFAN. “Just being there, I didn’t think he was that style of player that would fit that position, especially in Shurmur’s offense. … You need to be athletic and be able to move, and Easton can do that, but I just didn’t think that was the best part of his game. I thought he was a really good point-of-attack strong guy, hence why he’s a really good center.
http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/08/for...-of-shape/

Makes sense, the only muscle he exercised since signing here was his tongue.

Quote: @RS Express said:
Makes sense, the only muscle he exercised since signing here was his tongue.
Well said. I came into the thread to write the exact same words. This dude's bark was so much bigger than his bite.

The tattoos didn't help much either. The league needs to ban all the tattoos.

This is interesting

Greenway said on Boone being released. “I like Boone. I played with him last year. I thought he brought a really good mentality to the offensive line…. I am surprised they ate that much guaranteed money, but that tells me that something was clearly off with his game, with his style of play

Not that it had anything to do with the cut, but something I'm curious about. I think Tom noted he was "brutal" to reporters...

Any way to elaborate, or provide any anecdotes on that? I love hearing stuff the public doesn't typically hear.