Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Denver Broncos
Quote: @greediron said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
We'll see who gets the MN job, I'm not as convinced they move him. Personally I don't know if Paton was in love with Kirk. In general Kirk can be traded if the Vikings are open to it. 
I would love to see how you would handle the salary cap this year.  The two big whales are Cousins and Hunter.

Even if they gave both extensions that may not provide much relief.

They are going to need one or two corners at the very least.
Kirk is somewhat straightforward I think. You either trade him or extend him and the cap implication is going to be a savings of around $15M in 2022. If you trade him you likely pick up some of his remaining money to increase the return and have to sign a veteran stop-gap. Then you account for any incoming draft picks that hit the roster as well. If they extend him you can open up $15-20M in 2022 by prorating out some of this guaranteed money. 

Hunter is much trickier. They could simply convert his $18M roster bonus into a signing bonus and pro-rate it, but that was only added as a token of goodwill to re-negotiate his deal this off-season. Well, nobody who promised that is here. Hunter also suffered another season ending injury. All things considered the pec is more of a fluke so I wouldn't use that against him too much. The neck still is concerning. Hunter isn't going to sign another below market deal, but are you ready to pay him top EDGE money? He's irreplaceable on talent alone. Doing nothing will end in a messy divorce. My guess is you explore what you can trade him for and ultimately settle on resigning him or forcing him to hold out again. 
What exactly was his neck injury?  Did it ever come out?  Did it happen in practice?

My huge concern with him is the David Boston experience.  Hunter looks like a body builder, is absolutely ripped.  But if that is how he hurt his neck, and then pec, I would pass on big money for him.
He tore his pec against the Cowboys, so that was in-game. The neck injury never was disclosed but it was a combination of training and OTA work. 

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
I am not sure you can compare him to Boston even on the body building aspect.  Hunter came into the league ripped.  Boston put on a lot of weight, clearly had a drug habit and there was talk of HGH.  Has Hunter put on a lot of weight since being drafted -- does he look like he is using HGH?

https://www.espn.com/espn/magazine/archi...1-article6
He was ripped, but not to the extent he is now.  Yes Boston put on lots of weight, just concerning that Hunter seems to be possibly following that path, the neck injury especially.