Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yeah, this is the definitive year that the refs have ruined football for me.
Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
Speaking of refs determining the outcome of games, how many can see the NFCC at Green Bay with McCarthy’s Cowboys as the opponent? Gotta have the drama you know. Rodgers v. his arch nemesis Fat Mac. It’ll happen.
I would say it’s more likely the Cowboys lose
their first game than make it to the NFCCG. 
And you know, I won’t argue with that either. 

Quote: @"Vanguard83" said:
Had a thread earlier in the year about refs dictating games, sometimes advantageous / sometimes not. Bottom line is THEY are dictating outcomes of drives / games, and Im sick of it.  How many first downs have our “yellow friends” received by virtue of penalty? Last night the Rams / Seahawks “ non PI call, and and subsequent kicking of the ball due to frustration in yesterdays game. When announcers can get it right, but “New York” can’t theres a real problem IMO.

At some point the coaching fraternity just needs to “walk off” from certain refs / crews.   I think only then will they replace some of these fossils in stripes.  The game is too fast for them, and even reviews are no guarantee.....the call & delay & momentum of the game hinges on these guys who are too old to pass a DMV test.

Sad, but refs have killed my enjoyment of the NFL.   Let them play, keep the laundry in your pocket, and dont let crybaby players pander / influence referees.  QB’s suit up too....Hit the little bitches.
Totally agree the officiating is far to big and they have too much outcome on games.  Officials need to be full time but beyond that there needs to be more pressure on on Refs to get it right and keep their bias off the field.  

Where I defer is in I believe the coaches are oart of the problem.  The NFL controls the coaches and silences them with their fines and penalties.  I think the media and fans will need to make the difference.  The media and their ratings are what drives the league.  No ratings no money, no money no NFL.  If the NFL fears their cash cow could end they will addreess the officiating and fix the problem.

Quote: @"rf54" said:
@"Vanguard83" said:
Had a thread earlier in the year about refs dictating games, sometimes advantageous / sometimes not. Bottom line is THEY are dictating outcomes of drives / games, and Im sick of it.  How many first downs have our “yellow friends” received by virtue of penalty? Last night the Rams / Seahawks “ non PI call, and and subsequent kicking of the ball due to frustration in yesterdays game. When announcers can get it right, but “New York” can’t theres a real problem IMO.

At some point the coaching fraternity just needs to “walk off” from certain refs / crews.   I think only then will they replace some of these fossils in stripes.  The game is too fast for them, and even reviews are no guarantee.....the call & delay & momentum of the game hinges on these guys who are too old to pass a DMV test.

Sad, but refs have killed my enjoyment of the NFL.   Let them play, keep the laundry in your pocket, and dont let crybaby players pander / influence referees.  QB’s suit up too....Hit the little bitches.
Totally agree the officiating is far to big and they have too much outcome on games.  Officials need to be full time but beyond that there needs to be more pressure on on Refs to get it right and keep their bias off the field.  

Where I defer is in I believe the coaches are oart of the problem.  The NFL controls the coaches and silences them with their fines and penalties.  I think the media and fans will need to make the difference.  The media and their ratings are what drives the league.  No ratings no money, no money no NFL.  If the NFL fears their cash cow could end they will addreess the officiating and fix the problem.
The problem with that is the media isn't the watchdog that it once was,  they are more driven by cash than by truth.   And they all want in on that cash cow.  If they start crusading against the NFL or shining a light on its failures they will be out of its good graces and find player access and other rights damn hard to come by,  thus cutting off their access to the feed bunk.

Apparently not just the Packers OL is allowed to hold but the league has expanded the rules to allow their corners to hold as well.  2 of the 4 Int's by Baker last night were clear PI including the game winner with under a minute and the Browns getting into FG position to win.  The Packers got every call and non-call and are clearly the NFC 1 seed.  The NFC runs through GB this year and I would think Brady vs Rodgers is in the stars (or rules)

Quote: @"Chuckf" said:
@"kmillard" said:
I hear ya Sticky. I find myself watching more classic games from the 70s and 80s myself. Do that awhile and it is quite glaring how the game has changed. Good thing I still have hockey to keep me amused).
Not only is the quality of officiating better, so is the quality of play.   Tackling is a lost art these days.  Go watch a game in the 1970s and observe Jeff Seimon or Jack Lambert making a textbook wrap up tackle.  Also notice the respect players have for each other from opposing teams and the complete lack of self promotion.  Just a better game back then all the way around.
Good call on Siemon. One of the most underappreciated players I have seen. 

Quote: @"Chuckf" said:
@"kmillard" said:
I hear ya Sticky. I find myself watching more classic games from the 70s and 80s myself. Do that awhile and it is quite glaring how the game has changed. Good thing I still have hockey to keep me amused).
Not only is the quality of officiating better, so is the quality of play.   Tackling is a lost art these days.  Go watch a game in the 1970s and observe Jeff Seimon or Jack Lambert making a textbook wrap up tackle.  Also notice the respect players have for each other from opposing teams and the complete lack of self promotion.  Just a better game back then all the way around.
Honestly I think the clowning for the camera is what I find the most irritating.  I dont mind true celebration in the moment,  and even the cute orchestrated kids games the Vikings o did a fee years back wasn't to over the top.  But the running 80 yards after the play to act like dip shits posing for a camera is retarded.  The flexing and shit after routine plays just shows immaturity imo.

I liked the old saying,  act like you've been there before and that you will be there again.  Even sack celebrations,  could there be anything more demoralizing to a QB than to lay him flat and then pop up and offer to help him up saying "see you in a couple minutes"?