Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What our defense will be lacking..maybe.
For the past 8 to 10 years our defense has had a couple guys out there that were the field generals of our defense,  now with the retirement of Greenway and the apparent replacement of BRob by Hunter,  who is going to be that guy to get the huddle to settle down and focus on their execution when things start to unravel a bit?  As i was thinking about the preseason it seemed that the D would be fine once their emotions got settled,  but they just seemed over hyped and lost focus early.  In the past there were a couple vets to handle that on the field,  hopefully we see Griff, Linval, Harry and/or Rhodes step up and become that voice of experience early and often.  its not a matter of scheme,  its not a matter of coaching or talent,  IMO its a matter of discipline and leadership on the field that separates the good teams from the great ones.  ( and a franchise QB doesnt hurt either Smile

Not sure Jimmy.  Brian was a coach on the field and a captain.  EG was a captain earlier, but I am not sure he is that guy to settle them down.  Harry is quiet and so is Rhodes, but they could be the ones.

Many great defenses always had a LB or two that can lead and call the defensive plays.  I'm hoping our MLB, Kendricks, steps up to be that kind of a leader.  He's a vet now, and with Greeny gone, he should be calling the shots out there.

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
Many great defenses always had a LB or two that can lead and call the defensive plays.  I'm hoping our MLB, Kendricks, steps up to be that kind of a leader.  He's a vet now, and with Greeny gone, he should be calling the shots out there.
He is actually the guy I expect to take the role,  but as he is still fairly green it would be nice to have somebody with more experience.

Would be nice if it was both T. Newman as the old man and E. Griffen as the vet who has been there a while on the defense.

Quote: @"Purplemachine" said:
Would be nice if it was both T. Newman as the old man and E. Griffen as the vet who has been there a while on the defense.
Newman likely won't be on the field as much this year,  and I think Griff is one of those that likely needs to be calmed down to regain focus.

IMO the role of Greenway was a bit overrated because he was off the field for a lot of plays the past two seasons. (As for the earlier part of that "8-10 years" mentioned in the OP, are we especially proud of our Frazier-era defenses?) I really think that leader has been Brian Robison. I expect he will be on the field a lot, but...it will be less this year, if they are sticking to the idea that Hunter must start. I'm not sure he can have the same effect if he is on the sideline the first down of most series.

The offseason demotion of Robison (or promotion of Hunter, however you want to view it) is really puzzling to me. I wonder if it was driven by some kind of demand by Hunter's agent, such as, " Make Danielle a starter with X% of defensive snaps, or we will NEVER discuss a contract extension". That would force the Vikings to franchise tag Hunter after next season or lose him. 

As others have said, Kendricks is the guy who has to step up.