Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB news, some good, some better, some best

Adding the caveat, this PFF rating, not anything meaningful like Wins.  But then again, Rodgers lost badly, Kirk lost but had 2 clutch drives to get into FG position and Teddy won easily.

If Rodgers has multiple bad games, then it could be concerning for Green Bay. It was fun to watch though. Super happy for Teddy. Meh whatever about Cousins. We'll see what happens the next 4 games.

The real question on Kirk that I have, does the eye test fail?

What I mean is, he has those moments every so often where he folds in the pocket, just covers up and eats it.  But i see lots of stats that say he is good under pressure.  
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-best-worst-...020-season
Quote:Highest-Graded Quarterback under Pressure Kirk Cousins, Minnesota Vikings — 68.9.
So what is it?  So the eye test tells us he is bad because when he fails, it is a pathetic turtle move, but in reality, most of the time he is delivering with accuracy while the pocket collapses.

From another post:

Yes, the Vikings crushed themselves with the penalties, but they also didn’t have make any big plays on offense. The passing offense was void of any deep shots down the field. 
Cousins’ passes were an average of 5.4 yards behind the first-down markers, second-worst in the NFL in Week 1, per NFL’s Next Gen Stats. His throws traveled an average distance of 6.1 yards in the air, sixth-lowest among qualifying quarterbacks. 
That’s befuddling in a game in which the Vikings encountered a number of 2nd- and 3rd-and-long situations that required chunk plays to move the sticks. 
“We always want to be an explosive offense, so we’re always going to look for opportunities to do that,” Cousins said Wednesday. “I think when you get in longer yardage, the defense is going to be smart and play the sticks and keep things in front of them, whether it’s a 2-minute drill with little time left and teams know that they can back up. 
“And if you’re in long yardage, they can back up. So, they kept things in front of them for the most part. It would’ve been probably a lot of long foul balls or tight looks if we had tried to go down the field on many of the plays.” 
Tight windows were not what Cousins was looking to throw into last Sunday. Only 10.1 percent of his throws were to receivers who had a defender within one yard, again in the bottom third of the League. Instead, the signal caller played it safe and took what the defense gave him. That will win you a number of football games, but maybe not the ones in which you have significant obstacles to overcome. 

ESPN’s QBR formula graded Cousins’ performance as such. Its stat titled PAA — which tallies the points a quarterback added over an average signal caller — gave Cousins a minus-0.7. That ranked Cousins 20th among Week 1 quarterbacks. 
Part of that equation was Cousins taking three sacks and losing 26 yards in the process. Part of it was there weren’t many plays in which Cousins added value. Deep shots are game-changers that the Vikings’ went without, even when they needed them. There was little risk, and little reward. 
Meanwhile, in Kansas City, the play that changed the game in the Chiefs’ 33-29 victory over Cleveland came with 10 minutes left in the final frame, with the Browns leading 29-20. Patrick Mahomes rolled right on 1st and 10 and, while on the move, launched a deep ball in the general direction of Tyreek Hill. The pass didn’t hit Hill in stride by any means, but the all-world wideout adjusted to the ball and scored a 75-yard touchdown. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
From another post:

Yes, the Vikings crushed themselves with the penalties, but they also didn’t have make any big plays on offense. 
The passing offense was void of any deep shots down the field. 
Cousins’ passes were an average of 5.4 yards behind the first-down markers, second-worst in the NFL in Week 1, per NFL’s Next Gen Stats. His throws traveled an average distance of 6.1 yards in the air, sixth-lowest among qualifying quarterbacks. 
That’s befuddling in a game in which the Vikings encountered a number of 2nd- and 3rd-and-long situations that required chunk plays to move the sticks. 
“We always want to be an explosive offense, so we’re always going to look for opportunities to do that,” Cousins said Wednesday. “I think when you get in longer yardage, the defense is going to be smart and play the sticks and keep things in front of them, whether it’s a 2-minute drill with little time left and teams know that they can back up. 
“And if you’re in long yardage, they can back up. So, they kept things in front of them for the most part. It would’ve been probably a lot of long foul balls or tight looks if we had tried to go down the field on many of the plays.” 
Tight windows were not what Cousins was looking to throw into last Sunday. Only 10.1 percent of his throws were to receivers who had a defender within one yard, again in the bottom third of the League. Instead, the signal caller played it safe and took what the defense gave him. That will win you a number of football games, but maybe not the ones in which you have significant obstacles to overcome. 

ESPN’s QBR formula graded Cousins’ performance as such. Its stat titled PAA — which tallies the points a quarterback added over an average signal caller — gave Cousins a minus-0.7. That ranked Cousins 20th among Week 1 quarterbacks. 
Part of that equation was Cousins taking three sacks and losing 26 yards in the process. Part of it was there weren’t many plays in which Cousins added value. Deep shots are game-changers that the Vikings’ went without, even when they needed them. There was little risk, and little reward. 
Meanwhile, in Kansas City, the play that changed the game in the Chiefs’ 33-29 victory over Cleveland came with 10 minutes left in the final frame, with the Browns leading 29-20. Patrick Mahomes rolled right on 1st and 10 and, while on the move, launched a deep ball in the general direction of Tyreek Hill. The pass didn’t hit Hill in stride by any means, but the all-world wideout adjusted to the ball and scored a 75-yard touchdown. 
Yeah, I saw that stat as well.  But the 2nd TD to Thielen was a great TD.  Hit in stride so he could break free down the seam.  I think given the new OC, new o-line, 1st game, it was a good plan to get the win.  But penalties, turnovers and such thwarted that.  

Citing Mahomes broken play to Hill doesn't really fit in offensive plan article.  It was incredible, but unless you have Mahomes, it just doesn't happen very often.

Quote: @greediron said:
@purplefaithful said:
From another post:

Yes, the Vikings crushed themselves with the penalties, but they also didn’t have make any big plays on offense. 
The passing offense was void of any deep shots down the field. 

Yeah, I saw that stat as well.  But the 2nd TD to Thielen was a great TD.  Hit in stride so he could break free down the seam.  I think given the new OC, new o-line, 1st game, it was a good plan to get the win.  But penalties, turnovers and such thwarted that.  

Citing Mahomes broken play to Hill doesn't really fit in offensive plan article.  It was incredible, but unless you have Mahomes, it just doesn't happen very often.
I think those stats reflect a large streak in KC to play it safe...

He's not a go for the juggler kinda guy by nature. 

It's not that way every game, but it's there often enough for me where I've labeled it one of his evergreen behaviors as a qb.

That said, until they find me a better alternative? I'll just have to live with it.

Not having Kendricks would be a huge blow. 

Team mantra for a fast start this season may be a daunting task.