Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Alex Boone was no longer a good fit in the Vikings' offense
I've got a niners fan that said it flat out,  now you know why the niners didnt try and retain him.   cant get much more basic than that.  

I often think with linemen its like that average chic that hangs out with less attractive girls to make herself look better... well those less attractive girls are also elevated because of the better looking girl that they hang with and IMO thats why boone looked attractive as a FA and why he hung on for 2 years here,  he was elevated by playing next to some better talent in san fran,  and here he looked decent simply because the others around him were so poor.  we added a few better pieces and his shortcomings are once again evident.  especially for his pay.

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
@Tom Moore said:
The Vikings thought they lacked pass blocking.  Boone was supposed to be a poor run blocker, but good pass blocker.  In Minnesota, he was neither.  

The reality is, the Viking line has not been good at run blocking since Steve Hutchison's first year in Minnesota (he declined rapidly after his first year here), and the pass blocking has been largely absent since the year before Culpepper left.  Folks, that's over a decade.

Easton has less talent than Boone, but works harder with what he has.  I am not at all certain that the line you see on Sept 11th will be the same by week 6.   The line has a long way to go, and I remain pessimistic about Sparano's capability.
Really not sure Easton has less talent than Boone. Boone has been "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" for years. 

I'm not at all sure that this is the final line up either. By week 5, I could easily see Hill at LT with Reiff moved back to RT to cover for the mess that has been Remmers.
At least not at this point in their careers.  Boone either was getting old or just lacking the want to anymore.

As to the OP, I disagree.  Others mentioned it as well, Boone wasn't brought in to the an earth mover.  Just because he was 6'8" doesn't make him a great run blocker.  Kind of a silly take and really lacking much knowledge IMO.  But it fit the theme he wanted to create in his article to meet a deadline.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Tom Moore said:
The Vikings thought they lacked pass blocking.  Boone was supposed to be a poor run blocker, but good pass blocker.  In Minnesota, he was neither.  

The reality is, the Viking line has not been good at run blocking since Steve Hutchison's first year in Minnesota (he declined rapidly after his first year here), and the pass blocking has been largely absent since the year before Culpepper left.  Folks, that's over a decade.

Easton has less talent than Boone, but works harder with what he has.  I am not at all certain that the line you see on Sept 11th will be the same by week 6.   The line has a long way to go, and I remain pessimistic about Sparano's capability.
Its not Sparano....he's proven to be an excellent O-line coach. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. The current starting offensive line is one of the least athletic and talented in the NFL. He's got little to work with.
Sticky, I agree with Tom and if you look at Sporano's record, it's not impressive. Before he joined the Vikings, he only had a few stints as an Oline coach and his lines were never ranked in the top 10. I would take Tice all day every day over Sporano. He was a total meathead but man could he get the most out of the talent he had. I don't disagree with your take on talent. We have very little, but I have zero faith in Sporano to develop what we have. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@StickyBun said:
@Tom Moore said:

Its not Sparano....he's proven to be an excellent O-line coach. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. The current starting offensive line is one of the least athletic and talented in the NFL. He's got little to work with.
Sticky, I agree with Tom and if you look at Sporano's record, it's not impressive. Before he joined the Vikings, he only had a few stints as an Oline coach and his lines were never ranked in the top 10. I would take Tice all day every day over Sporano. He was a total meathead but man could he get the most out of the talent he had. 
i think you would be hard pressed to find another line coach that most people would take over Tice,  his ability with an OL is pretty remarkable.

My biggest worry about the current line is they have had so little time to work together.  A couple of years ago there was an article abut how it takes over a year for a,line to jell and over two years playing together to show their real potential as a group.  I think we will see better line play as the season goes along but I do worry over the first 6+ games that we could see poor line play and resulting negative reviews.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
My biggest worry about the current line is they have had so little time to work together.  A couple of years ago there was an article abut how it takes over a year for a,line to jell and over two years playing together to show their real potential as a group.  I think we will see better line play as the season goes along but I do worry over the first 6+ games that we could see poor line play and resulting negative reviews.
as long as they grow as the go...  we know we arent going 16-0 so I am prepared for some loses,  as long as they improve steadily I will be happy.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@VikingOracle said:
as long as they grow as the go...  we know we arent going 16-0 so I am prepared for some loses,  as long as they improve steadily I will be happy.
You're right. We are going to go 19-0.