Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The beginning of the end: 4 CFB Super Conferences

College sports is not going away. There is too much money in it. It's just going to change.  Again.  

In the early 1900s, in response to numerous deaths among college football players, President Teddy Roosevelt convened a meeting between Harvard, Yale, and Princeton to discuss the rules of football - it had become too dangerous.  This meeting led to the creation of the NCAA.  One of the new rules they came up with was to stop the payment of college players.  ... Hugh McElhenny, a running back at Washington, took a pay cut when he left college for the NFL.  (The good ol' days - when RBs were worth something.)

The world keeps spinning and we keep going round and round.

I cheer for a Big 12 team, Cyclones, and it's the timing that irritates me.  Program is just starting to get good and now we are loosing some major teams.  Although I'm a UCF alumni and that is one of the teams mentioned coming in, so there is that.  Change is inevitable, just part of things.

Big 10 looking at 4 California schools to join. The conference will span 3 of the nations 4 timezones. 

Quote: @dadevike said:
College sports is not going away. There is too much money in it. It's just going to change.  Again.  

In the early 1900s, in response to numerous deaths among college football players, President Teddy Roosevelt convened a meeting between Harvard, Yale, and Princeton to discuss the rules of football - it had become too dangerous.  This meeting led to the creation of the NCAA.  One of the new rules they came up with was to stop the payment of college players.  ... Hugh McElhenny, a running back at Washington, took a pay cut when he left college for the NFL.  (The good ol' days - when RBs were worth something.)

Agreed. My point is that smaller colleges will suffer, but its been coming....hence my 'beginning of the end' comment. College football popularity is off the charts, its not going anywhere.

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
I cheer for a Big 12 team, Cyclones, and it's the timing that irritates me.  Program is just starting to get good and now we are loosing some major teams.  Although I'm a UCF alumni and that is one of the teams mentioned coming in, so there is that.  Change is inevitable, just part of things.

I wish they would just join the BIG 10.  Which, Probably should consider a name change...  Just call it the BIG Conference and be done.

Quote: @El_Padre said:
I wish they would just join the BIG 10.  Which, Probably should consider a name change...  Just call it the BIG Conference and be done.

No kidding, w/ 14 teams already, Big 10 seems a little disingenuous for institutions of higher learning…! 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@dadevike said:

Agreed. My point is that smaller colleges will suffer, but its been coming....hence my 'beginning of the end' comment. College football popularity is off the charts, its not going anywhere.
When referencing smaller colleges, what conferences/schools are you meaning? I think with the expansion to the 12 team playoff the smaller schools will have their shot. They already have their shot in college basketball so eliminating a conference means one less conference champion and another at large bid. 

When it comes to football, the Big 12 is pretty much a joke in most folks eyes, especially those who evaluate teams for the playoff. I think this works best for all schools in that conference as they can pick where they want to go.