Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Wouldn't Want Double D's?
I wrote in a mailbag earlier why, despite injuries/limited size, Dede Westbrook was one of my favorite free agents:

• Speed (ran a 4.34 40 at his pro day)
• Explosive out his breaks
• Special teams talent

Could be the favorite for WR3 & punt returner.

Other than Griffen, I think reuniting Dede Westbrook with receivers coach Keenan McCardell also makes a lot of sense. Westbrook has a lot of ideal traits for a WR3. First off, he’s fast — he ran a 4.34-second 40 at Oklahoma’s pro day. That’s plenty fast enough to threaten vertically and clear space underneath. And that speed also helps on crossing routes like the play-action crossers the Vikings love or the mesh concepts where Jarius Wright made his money on third downs.
Secondly, he’s a talented special teamer, both as a kick returner and particularly as a punt returner. On 49 career punt returns, Westbrook has just one muffed punt, coming after his own teammate ran into him while he was trying to fair catch a short punt. His speed makes him dangerous as a returner, with one career punt return touchdown. And he’s averaged 9.4 yards per punt return over his career — more than double Minnesota’s average last year.
Last, he’s explosive out of his breaks and has flashes of excellent route running, enabling him to gain easy separation with his wiggle:

DeDe is sneaky good and has been shorted by below average QB play.  

Adam-Jet with DeDe in the slot and Irv on the line.  Damn its a plethora of talent on this offense

2 years with 66 catches. Our depth behind our starters doesn't have anywhere near those number of snaps. Plus a legit PR?

Sign me up.

Westbrook, 27, had his best season in 2018, when he caught 66 passes for 717 yards and five touchdowns and recorded a 71.3 PFF grade. He followed that up with another 66-catch season in 2019 but had fallen down the Jaguars' depth chart last year before tearing his ACL in October. It's unclear whether or not he'll be fully recovered from that injury in time for the start of training camp next week.
Prior to his NFL career, Westbrook won the 2016 Biletnikoff Award as the best receiver in college football. With future No. 1 overall pick Baker Mayfield as his QB, Westbrook racked up over 1,600 yards from scrimmage and 17 touchdowns for Oklahoma in his senior season. He fell to the fourth round in the 2017 NFL Draft primarily due to off-the-field concerns. Westbrook was arrested for domestic violence in 2012 and 2013 and for trespassing in 2016, but hasn't gotten in any trouble since entering the NFL.
Assuming Westbrook ends up signing with the Vikings, it'll be a big addition for both Minnesota's offense and special teams. Westbrook would likely become the immediate favorite to win the No. 3 receiver job by beating out Chad Beebe, Bisi Johnson, and fifth-round rookie Ihmir Smith-Marsette. The 6-foot, 180-pound veteran has taken over 72 percent of his career snaps from the slot, which makes him a good fit. Westbrook is a good route-runner with some impressive wiggle after the catch.
Perhaps just as important is that Westbrook would almost certainly take over as the Vikings' primary punt returner. Minnesota got absolutely nothing in that department from Beebe and K.J. Osborn last year, finishing dead last in punt return average (4.3), 31st in total punt return yards (69), and tied for 30th in longest punt return (13 yards). Westbrook has a career average of 9.8 yards per return, including a 14-yard average in 2018 that was helped by this 74-yard score.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
2 years with 66 catches. Our depth behind our starters doesn't have anywhere near those number of snaps. Plus a legit PR?

Sign me up.
His starting QBs while in Jacksonville...
Blake Bortles
Cody Kessler
Gardner Minshew
Nick Foles
Mike Glennon
Jake Luton

You had me at "Punt returner".

Quote:
@"RS Express" said:
The Vikings haven’t had a punt or kickoff return TD in 4 fucking seasons… 

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
@"RS Express" said:
This is why I loved Marcus Sherels and referred to him as "My little Chinchilla"...  lots of fans complained that the Vikings could do better than him as their 5th/6th CB.  But he wasn't on the team because of his cover skills, it was from his excellent ability as a punt returner and special teams player.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"Kentis" said:
@"RS Express" said:
This is why I loved Marcus Sherels and referred to him as "My little Chinchilla"...  lots of fans complained that the Vikings could do better than him as their 5th/6th CB.  But he wasn't on the team because of his cover skills, it was from his excellent ability as a punt returner and special teams player.
Yep, I was right there with ya. Best thing about him was his reliability. Guy never dropped a ball. I do, however, like the fact that our two returners (maybe three?) are legit position players. We'll see if they can return.