Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL GM Power Rankings: The Top 10
Who is the best general manager in the NFL?
It’s a simple question, but the answer is much more complicated. There is no standard by which GMs are graded. There is, however, a curve. It’s a “what have you done for me lately” league. Those GMs who are currently presiding over winning teams (i.e. Jason Licht, Brett Veach) tend to get a pass on past mistakes (like drafting a kicker in the second-round who flamed out immediately).
What we’ve tried to do at The Draft Scout is take away recency bias and perception. We’ve looked at longevity, coaching hires, trades, free agency and of course selections made in the NFL draft to determine which GM is the best.
But this is a power ranking, which means these are meant to be updated and changed. It also means some of this ranking (arguably a lot of it), is based on the author’s view of the moves the GMs have made. The ultimate goal, though, is an unbiased and objective look at the league’s top decision-makers.
Here’s our look at the top 10 GMs in the NFL, with the full list available Wednesday June 23.
*GMs with less than two seasons on the job are not yet ranked. They’ll be listed in the full version.

7. Rick Spielman, Minnesota Vikings

Best Move: Justin Jefferson 
Worst Move: Laquon Treadwell
First Year on Job: 2012
Rick Spielman doesn’t get enough credit for the team he’s built. Sure, you can say they’ve overpaid for Kirk Cousins, but that move instantly made the team capable of contending in an NFC North that has been home to one of the NFL’s best quarterbacks (Aaron Rodgers). 
Spielman also built a dangerous wide receiver corps (twice), rolled the dice and landed one of the NFL’s best running backs (Dalvin Cook) in Round 2, and has otherwise paired well with head coach Mike Zimmer to keep the defense competitive outside of last season.
Spielman may not have a signature move that elevates his status in the eyes of fans, but selecting Justin Jefferson in 2020 could ultimately be that transaction Spielman becomes known for.
https://www.thedraftscout.com/p/nfl-gm-p...the-top-10

worst move, The ones he didn't make by not drafting QBs once he thought he had his.

His best moves have been many.  JJ, Hunter, Diggs, Cook, Zimmer, Kendricks

All this off season ranking stuff is of little comfort to me. I like what Spielman has done this off season, quite a bit. But until it translates into a team that is truly competitive or wins a championship, it's not very convincing. I also don't put much stock in the theory that bad coaching is to blame. 
Let's see some results. I think it is about time!

If you just judge Spielman by what he's done in the draft, he's easily top 5.  I also think he picked a very good HC in Zimmer.  His blind spot (until recently) has been the OL.  His draft approach sucked and very few of his FA signings ever lived up to their contract. I'll give him credit though, he's changed his approach and it's paid off with early round picks of O'Neill, Bradbury, Elflein (until shoulder injuries derailed him), and hopefully Darrisaw and Davis.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
If you just judge Spielman by what he's done in the draft, he's easily top 5.  I also think he picked a very good HC in Zimmer.  His blind spot (until recently) has been the OL.  His draft approach sucked and very few of his FA signings ever lived up to their contract. I'll give him credit though, he's changed his approach and it's paid off with early round picks of O'Neill, Bradbury, Elflein (until shoulder injuries derailed him), and hopefully Darrisaw and Davis.
He seems to be lacking in the draft on both sides of the line when it comes to the mailers,   I wonder if it's his hiring process for scouts.  Maybe he needs one that doesn't order the salad at lunch after the interview.  Get a guy/girl that is a little more meat and potatoes to identify those positions that rely less on athleticism and more on the violence.