• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power! Unlimited Powerrrr! (For QBs)
Brady
Watson
Rodgers
Wilson
Stafford
Murray

The list of QBs wanting a say in personnel decisions and/or wanting to be traded is getting longer by the day. 

A month or 2 ago I posted saying the NFL/fans/the Vikings need to start treating QBs like NBA Superstars (not all-stars, SUPERstars). QBs are so important to winning a ring that getting one should be the #1 priority of every franchise. Find the guy, THEN build around him. Not the other way around. Many will disagree or don’t want to hear it but trying to win a Super Bowl (not just make the playoffs) without an elite/HOF QB is like playing poker against an opponent with aces. Possible sure, but freaking hard. 

My opinion doesn’t really matter though. It’s the actual players who seem to be taking cues from the NBA guys now too. And good for them! If Stafford doesn’t wanna rot for another decade in Detroit I don’t have a problem with him wanting out. If I’m Wilson and Watson and I watch Brady go to Tampa, bring in all his pals, and get them to invest in the O-line— all in the span of one offseason!— I’d be wondering what the heck my own team has been doing for the past few years too. I hope Mahomes plays in KC his whole career and I love guys like Harrison Smith or Chad Greenway that stay with us. But I also don’t begrudge other guys trying to use their leverage to better their situation for their family and their legacy.

I’m surprised it took this long for this movement to happen in the NFL, but I don’t see this trend going away. For all the oldheads and “purists” who think Lebron/player movement/etc killed the sanctity of the NBA, beware: the NFL might be next.

Lol, nice thread title.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Brady
Watson
Rodgers
Wilson
Stafford
Murray

The list of QBs wanting a say in personnel decisions and/or wanting to be traded is getting longer by the day. 

A month or 2 ago I posted saying the NFL/fans/the Vikings need to start treating QBs like NBA Superstars (not all-stars, SUPERstars). QBs are so important to winning a ring that getting one should be the #1 priority of every franchise. Find the guy, THEN build around him. Not the other way around. Many will disagree or don’t want to hear it but trying to win a Super Bowl (not just make the playoffs) without an elite/HOF QB is like playing poker against an opponent with aces. Possible sure, but freaking hard. 

My opinion doesn’t really matter though. It’s the actual players who seem to be taking cues from the NBA guys now too. And good for them! If Stafford doesn’t wanna rot for another decade in Detroit I don’t have a problem with him wanting out. If I’m Wilson and Watson and I watch Brady go to Tampa, bring in all his pals, and get them to invest in the O-line— all in the span of one offseason!— I’d be wondering what the heck my own team has been doing for the past few years too. I hope Mahomes plays in KC his whole career and I love guys like Harrison Smith or Chad Greenway that stay with us. But I also don’t begrudge other guys trying to use their leverage to better their situation for their family and their legacy.

I’m surprised it took this long for this movement to happen in the NFL, but I don’t see this trend going away. For all the oldheads and “purists” who think Lebron/player movement/etc killed the sanctity of the NBA, beware: the NFL might be next.
Have you ever heard the whole story about Ahmad Rashad coming to the Vikings in 1976?   He came in and tried out but the Vikings declined to sign him, supposedly Fran went to Bud and Mike Lynn and said SIGN HIM.   I would think the elite QBs even back in the the 1970s had some input on who they signed and possibly drafted?   It was obviously a different game with no unrestricted FA back then but is this really new or are we just seeing these guys be more publicly vocal about it?

Quote: @Chuckf said:

Have you ever heard the whole story about Ahmad Rashad coming to the Vikings in 1976?   He came in and tried out but the Vikings declined to sign him, supposedly Fran went to Bud and Mike Lynn and said SIGN HIM.   I would think the elite QBs even back in the the 1970s had some input on who they signed and possibly drafted?   It was obviously a different game with no unrestricted FA back then but is this really new or are we just seeing these guys be more publicly vocal about it?
I think there's a slight difference in ability to pay between a team that gets a new QB and has free cap space to dedicate to new talent, and a team that has had an expensive QB for years and is tight against the cap.  Also Brady has routinely taken below market rate to ensure he has those extra players around him.  Like you can get a top 10 LG or a top 10 RG for the price difference between Brady and Cousins or whoever.

Quote: @Chuckf said:
@pattersaur said:
Brady
Watson
Rodgers
Wilson
Stafford
Murray

Never heard this one before. Thank you for sharing.

Same ^^^^.   Thanks for posting that

I read it in the book Rashad.  If you can find it, get it.  It is a GREAT read.  [Image: 51hp1sdXAJL._SL350_.jpg]
In it he also talks about FA Nate Allen(who, of course, Blocked Dempsey's FG attempt in NFC TITLE Game) when signing with the Vikings in 1976 as a FA he was ribbed by his 49er teammates that it was COLD in Minnesota and Allen told them he didn't care, THEY WIN in Minnesota!!!  Love that story.   He also was part of the '77 comeback at the Met vs. his old teammates, he wanted that game BADLY because the 49ers beat the Vikings in '76 on Monday Night Football.