Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Wilson
Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"rf54" said:
As some of us here have stated he is just not as good as his flash plays make him look, he gives up too many big plays by not being able to shed blocks or be where he is always supposed to be.
Barr looked less than impressive in 19 when he didnt have quality DT play in front of him either.  This year with improved DTs Barr should return to form, but he still wont have the splash plays that Wilson made in 1 year with the worst DL in front of him than we have seen from the Vikings in about a decade.

If Wilson is willing to play for half the money that Barr thinks he is worth and is able to play a the same level he showed last year (he wont see the OL on him in run plays like he saw with no DT help in 20) he should be plenty good enough at that position, and possibly even an improvement over Barr,  while freeing up cap to pay Hunter the assload he is wanting.
Wilson didn't look good with quality DTs in front of him in '19 either.  He is who he is, a decent backup that likes to freelance too much, leading to occasional splash plays and more often to being out of position so it looks to the fans that someone else made the mistake.
Try again,  I had already conceded that the poor DT play in 19 made Barr look worse than he is,  but if Wilson is so fucking bad at tackling,  is such a liability in run defense and gap integrity,  how the hell did he have way more tackles last year than Barr has ever recorded in a single year?  Like not even close,  35% more tackles.  122 last year for Wilson and 79 in Barrs best year.  

Pretty much every statistical category kept for defenders shows Wilson being better or at least as good as Barr has ever been.  I'm not saying Barr is shit,  but the notion of him being worth so much more to this defense than Barr statistically doesn't hold water.   And from a dollars and cents position it doesn't seem to be supported either. 

It was nice to see Barr help the team out this year,  but it will be a big mistake for the team to get sucked into another big contract with him IMO,  nice athlete,  but it needs to show up more to justify a contract like he was just on.
Stats are like assholes. ...
Or something like that.  Revis and other elite CBs didn't have stats because people stayed away from them.  Not putting Barr in that territory, but Wilson might have the tackles because of the opposite.  If someone was that bad as PFF rated him, I would run at him all day.  Team ran all over our D last year.  LBs making tackles doesn't mean they are good, it means teams are running and making it through the DLine.  

I will take a guy that doesn't flash on a top 5 D rather than the stats guy on a bottom 5 D.  

And bottom line, it looks like the GMs agree.  
The only gm that matters is Spielman and he just resigned dozier... so there's that to factor in.