Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Any KC natives? Need advvice.
Ok I am heading to KC for a couple Twins games in June. Wondering if anyone has reccomendations on areas to stay that have local (walking distance) to a good sit down bbq joint (I have been to jack stack) with shopping, coffee shops bars a d other reataurants. Someplace safe to walk and shop and that type of stuff. 

Is this thing on?

Unfortunately, near the baseball and football stadiums in KC there's nothing walkable. There's the Power and Light District downtown that has what you are looking for. Some of the suburbs have that also, like Overland Park/Leawood area.

Have to agree, Kauffman and Arrowhead are a sports complex that share a giant parking lot, between exits on I70.  Reminds me of the Site layout for the Metropolitan Stadium and the Metropolitan Sports Center, for you youngsters Mall of America.  

Even though its a drive @StickyBun's suggestion of staying around Power & Lights is probably your best bet. 

That Jack Stack's on the Plaza is a walking friendly area too.  The Crown Ribs at Jack Stacks are unbelievable.  I would recommend going to Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas City, Kansas, if you've never been there.  My favorite ribs I've ever had are there.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
That Jack Stack's on the Plaza is a walking friendly area too.  The Crown Ribs at Jack Stacks are unbelievable.  I would recommend going to Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas City, Kansas, if you've never been there.  My favorite ribs I've ever had are there.
Yep, outstanding. 

For what's it's worth...  Oklahoma Joe's has dropped the "Oklahoma" from their name, now it's simply "Joe's Kansas City BBQ" and it is amazing, I lived in KC for 12 years and IMO it is the best BBQ in the city.

Thanks all. I do NOT plan on staying near the ballpark. Been there done that. Yeah you k ow the hotel right there on the exit ramp by the taco bell.... That place was GROSSSS!

So I don’t mind driving to the ballpark. 
Thanks for the updates!

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
Thanks all. I do NOT plan on staying near the ballpark. Been there done that. Yeah you k ow the hotel right there on the exit ramp by the taco bell.... That place was GROSSSS!

So I don’t mind driving to the ballpark. 
Thanks for the updates!
Yeah, that's a shitty part of KC. It gives a horrible impression of the city if that's all people see. The more upscale and beautiful parts are mainly on the Kansas side of the KC suburbs (Johnson County, KS) and the Plaza (and now the P & L District, which is fairly new as developments go).

I have heard really good things about the Woodyard BBQ down there.