Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Positives amidst a storm
Not going to try and be polly anna but their have been "some" positives this preseason and last game:

On the free agent front:  Both Reiff and Murray looked good in limited action. The first quarter when Reiff and Boone played vs 49'ers the left side was very solid.  Murray came in the late second quarter and immediately made his an impact with a nice chip block and some nice blitz pickups and screens.  

On the Draft front:  Cook, Elflein might start with heavy play from Gedeon and Jaleel.  Then you add the two late WR's and Hodges.  Most of these guys will probably not contribute as much as we might expect but still this looks to be an infusion of young talent that will contribute early and often.

UDFA - Bower looks like a real find he made some standout plays last week - but against second teamers - still he is on the roster if not gone off waivers.

Young players - Hunter looks ready to go.  Something/anything from Tread like last game would be nice.  Diggs was ripping up camp (according to most) but of course had the 2 crucial drops that I don't expect to happen regular season.  Theilan looked good.  

Late cuts:  Looking experienced Mike type thumper LB, Safety, RG/RT for depth. A lot of good players will become available so we are doing our homework.

The problems have been duly noted repeatedly on here so I wanted to put some positives out there.

I think we are going to be in a fight with GB/Rodgers for the Division crown.   

Another positive from this draft is Danny Isadora, who might be our first big OL draft success since Fusco. Also on the OL, Rashod Hill appears to be as promising as his brief 2016 appearance suggested, and even Willie Beavers is straightening out. All three of those are probably more impactful beyond 2017, though.

Another nice UDFA is LB Eric Wilson.

There were a lot of good reports about Michael Floyd in camp, though we're going to miss him for a month.

Great points about the O-line Jor.  Finally might have some future on development front.

And always enjoy your well thought out posts Minny.  I think our defense shines again this year and the offense surprises us by being better than average.  Our line may struggle some, but we have talent up front unlike last year and the skill players are better as well.  Especially when Floyd joins in week 5. 

There are some positives in the youth as well as some great veteran leadership. Still more growing pains for the OL.

I agree with all these positives.  And I needed them after watching the first team stink it up.

I'll throw out another name that stood out to me in Caleb Jones.

Cayleb Jones was a pleasant surprise. He worked hard in camp and looked hungry. 

Let's not forget, BRob hasn't played.  Add him to the D and we add a leader and solid player to the D line that's been missing so far.